Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
Digging through some boxes of inserts/parallels last night I ran across these. Sorry for the bad scans they were in penny sleeves & rigid holders.
Scan_Pic0015.jpg
Scan_Pic0005.jpg

Scan_Pic0115.jpg
Scan_Pic0025.jpg
Scan_Pic0055.jpg

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
So I know Beckett doesn't price /25 or less (or at least they didn't use to), but they would list selling prices for certain cards via eBay and such. Do they offer any pricing on the 97 Platinum Golds?

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
That's what's great about the FCB community is that we all collect in different ways.

I just cannot connect with today's cards like I do with cards from the mid-to-late 90's. The result is that I have a limited number of ways to collect because there's nothing ever new for me. So I have to find collecting projects. For example, I enjoy collecting nine of some of my favorite cards because I can display it in an album and it looks cool. I call it "warhol-ing" and I think it's kinda pop-artsy.

RustyCenturyPageFront.jpg

Really, though... what's the difference between a guy that has collected 100 of the same card and a guy that wants to collect one of every card of a player? Is one a hoarder while the other isn't? While you say to the former, "but it's the same card," someone that does not collect cards might say to the latter, "but it's the same player." Pretty much all of us are just collectors and because we're humans and not robots, we all like to collect differently. And we do it because it's fun.

A big difference between collectors and hoarders is that collectors have no problem getting rid of their stash. If the price is right, just about any of us will sell anything at any time. Hoarders cannot let go of a used food container. I'm no psychiatrist, but I'm guessing they'd say you're way off base with your comparsion. People that have actually been affected by true hoarding might even be offended by your comments. But I ain't.

I am interested though... at what point are you saying a collector becomes a hoarder? When they acquire more than 2 of any given identical item?

Respectfully... RustyGreerHoarder :mrgreen:

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I would not consider "hoarding" of baseball cards a mental illness. I suffer from clinical OCD. Yet you see all the time collectors letting their "OCD" come out when it comes to card condition, organization, etc. i don't consider them to he mentally ill.

Hoarding baseball cards, for the most part, is a choice. I own 30+ 1983 Topps cards of Sandberg but only one of everything else i have (other than trade bait).

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
A lot of really good comments so far to Jeff's post. My two cents is there is a difference between collecting and hoarding, even if at times it is splitting hairs. In general, I go for 1 copy of every Albert Belle card and typically HATE doubles. I'd rather save the money to spend on the next card I don't have that surfaces.

With this said, there are SOME Belle cards I will go after all day, every day... these include both 2001 SP Authentic Chirography Gold Albert Belle #GAB #/88 and 2001 Sweet Spot Signature Albert Belle #SAB. They are two of my favorite cards of his from before he was reintroduced to the hobby in 2011 and I will buy them up all day long for the right price.

Also, hoarders have the hardest time letting go of anything/everything and I can only speak for myself but I'd sell EVERYTHING in my collection for the right price.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
I only "hoard" a couple of cards. It's for fun more than anything. If I see one that I hoard that's not at my price point, I let it go. For instance, I have 28 National Treasures rookies of Quentin Groves /99, but I've probably passed on another 20.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
90s thread takin' a turn to weird town. I don't see trying to corner the market on one of your favorite cards to be the same as never throwing away garbage bags. People hoard certain cards because often times owning the majority is an obtainable goal. No one here would believe they could corner the market on nuts and bolts

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Cool - I wish my Rustys had a foil stamp. All mine are just imprinted so you can barely tell what event they were from. All Pacific.
same here - I can't remember the seller that had all of those Pacific event-stamped cards. It was many years ago, I know that - and they were always just a little more than I wanted to spend, but I ended up buying most of what he had.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
I find excessive use and hoarding of commas sickening,,,,,

I keep hearing people say this type of stuff,,, well my "opinion" differs greatly from your two,,,
While I've kept that opinion to myself for years--- I've had enough now of seeing no one call it like it really should be
:mad:

Sick is right,,,,, and no its not good for that person,,,,

Hoarding by anyone for any reason is a mental illness,,,, and its amongst the most selfish acts possible,,,, ever seen the show about hoarders? Notice how no amount of love by family or friends affects the person? Doesn't matter if the persons wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, whomever tries helping them they do not respond,,,,, I witnessed it daily for years in my wifes father-- a Depresion era baby-- who hoarded everything from plastic trash bags to nuts & bolts,,,,, never understanding when enough was enough,,,,, and never understanding how shared experiences with others could enrich his life MORE than his hoarding,,,,

Collectors who hoard need professional help,,,,

No one should be celebrating anyone's EXCESSIVE accumulation of anything,,,,

One or two of something with lots available is one thing,,,, 13, 50, 100-- no =its not ok ,,,,and yes its a sickness ,,,, I don't personally enjoy seeing anyone's massive hoard of any one item or items,,,,

Don't get me wrong,,,, as a player collector I love seeing someones collection of items,,,, seeing George's collection of sets is great,,,, seeing his 30 or so Golds of one guy is not okay,,,,, same goes for any other collector who shows me excessive collections of anything,,,, sorry but you lose me,,,, I prefer hearing about a guy who purchased a lot of them---then went and found others who enjoyed collecting that set or player and helping them to get the same enjoyment from shared experience,,,, this I can understand because even a non-mental health professional can see its not a selfish act its acts of kindness or sharing,,,,, better mentally,,,,

My apology if my personal opinion differs from those collecting a guy in multiples,,,, but if the end result is not sharing either thru selling, trading, or giving away then frankly its selfishness I don't need to witness or celebrate,,,,

Many of those collectors I know to be great people-- George especially--- just understand I don't enjoy seeing EXCESSIVE accumulations of anything for any reason at all,,,, I'd rather hear about a guy who collected 40 of them,,,,, then went out and traded, sold, or gave away to help others collections,,,,

MY PERSONAL OPINION,,,, which obviously may or may not be understood by others,,,,

Jeff

Members online