Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
I actually received my first Longevity this week, pretty excited to finally pick one up. Not the best player, but we can pretend it's 1998 and he is, right?

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
No fair showing off the Longevity cards. I missed out on my player a couple of weeks ago. I do have a Jason Varitek in my Red Sox collection though.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
My Longevity contributions...Mike Piazza has 4 cards in the set, so I finally completed the run last year.

Piazza20Mike_199820Leaf20Rookies20and20Stars20Longevity203020Holographic_1_zpsz2swkjpc.jpg
Piazza20Mike_199820Leaf20Rookies20and20Stars20Longevity2014420PT_4_zpssjrk0set.jpg
Piazza20Mike_199820Leaf20Rookies20and20Stars20Longevity2016420TLU_16_zpsft0qfuin.jpg
Piazza20Mike_199820Leaf20Rookies20and20Stars20Longevity20312_11_zpslb6tkxvf.jpg

oh yeah, the first one above also looks like this on the back - got the hookup from another boardmember about 4 years ago...

Piazza20Mike_199820Leaf20Rookies20and20Stars20Longevity203020Holographic_1_back_zpsd2uwbdjf.jpg

appreciate if anyone has tips on how to scan these bad boys better? i am using a canon canoscan 9000f, take the card out of sleeve, put face down vertically oriented and leave the lid up. I am not sure what setting I can / should change to scan cards with more foil / holographic finishes. thanks in advance!

Sweet Holofoil. This may sound a little different on the scanning option… BUT I have noticed with some of the older holo type cards, Especially the 1998 Donruss prized collections using a smart phone with a flash can make them pop pretty nice. I am not fortunate enough to have any of the longevities holofoil's so I am not sure if it uses a similar technology. I feel that sometimes a scan doesn't do some of these cards their due justice. Here is a comparison of a scan compared to my smart phone pictures of the precious metals which scans do not do them justice IMO

Last edited:

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Love the Longevity Holofoil and Precious Metals!

Just a reminder that I'm collecting 1997 Score Reserve Collection. It had been a long time since I'd picked any up that I've needed. Commons can be really tough to find, so I got lucky when all four cards a seller listed at auction recently were ones I needed. I was surprised that no player or team collectors fought me.

attachment.php

You can always find my want list in my sig. [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] - I still need that Nomo if you ever run across it!

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Shoot I wish I would have seen those HAHA. Kidding. LAst thing I need to do is start another darn parallel set :) When did Jim Eisenreich play for Florida/Miami. I guess I should say who didnt that guy play for. LOL
Love the Longevity Holofoil and Precious Metals!

Just a reminder that I'm collecting 1997 Score Reserve Collection. It had been a long time since I'd picked any up that I've needed. Commons can be really tough to find, so I got lucky when all four cards a seller listed at auction recently were ones I needed. I was surprised that no player or team collectors fought me.

attachment.php

You can always find my want list in my sig. @George_Calfas - I still need that Nomo if you ever run across it!

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
now i'm curious about these 98 e-x color variants that a few others have mentioned - i just saw this pedro martinez #15 /39 sell on ebay for $349 (i was neither seller nor buyer)

the color appears clearly inverted from the normal version of the card

any add'l thoughts?

$_12.JPG
Martinez20Pedro_199820E-X200120Essential20Credentials20Now_34_zpstrweccef.jpg

That was me! Now let's get it recognized by Beckett so I can sell mine :)

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
now i'm curious about these 98 e-x color variants that a few others have mentioned - i just saw this pedro martinez #15 /39 sell on ebay for $349 (i was neither seller nor buyer)

the color appears clearly inverted from the normal version of the card

any add'l thoughts?

Looks like each was scanned with different scanners, giving them unique finished products. I bet if you had them both in hand, they would look identical.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Looks like each was scanned with different scanners, giving them unique finished products. I bet if you had them both in hand, they would look identical.

That's defintely not the case. Neon green isn't goingto show up clear on a different scanner

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
That's defintely not the case. Neon green isn't goingto show up clear on a different scanner

I was about to post, agreeing with you. But Patrick is right. I just checked and my Manny in hand looks like the bottom Pedro (middle is neon yellow) , and the eBay scan looks like the top Pedro ( middle is white). Somehow the scanner must be making the middle section look white/clear instead of yellow. Also, I have owned three 98 essential now Manny's and they all look the same.

Sent from my XT1080 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
I sold a couple lately and yes. Open or closed scanner changed the colors. Had to put in a black back to get colors to match.

got it, thanks guys for the observations. i thought maybe it was a rare variant and therefore warranted the $350 price tag. if it's the same as the regular, then i'm less worried. but congrats to the seller on the sale!

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
I was looking thru my cards tonight and came across this one. These cards are very nice.
I've always liked the shine of these 24k's.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I was looking thru my cards tonight and came across this one. These cards are very nice.
I've always liked the shine of these 24k's.

Sweet Ripken, I have never seen one of the Ripken's before. I am curious, I imagine the scans do not do these cards justice either… Is the finish glossy, shiny?
And great Griffey M.P. another beauty right there...

Members online