Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hairyharold

Mar 20, 2014
hey i have a question about these proof crusades. i noticed the ones sold by samho didn't have the *** / 250, etc. they were just blank. is that something that not all the proofs received? i noticed that the mike piazza executive proofs had that *** / numbering on it, so was just curious.

I actually got two of the Sandy Alomar Executive Proofs and sold them on ebay to an Indians collector who, judging by his recent history at the time, was spending money like crazy.

Last edited:

Jhileman79

Nov 28, 2014
Love the 98 collections refractor. I sold one about six months back, Hard to do, but the price was right. That is a great card!!!

Thanks I was really happy to pick this one up.
I picked up the other 98 Prized #726 last year and I have wanted this one ever since. They are super rare with only 55 copies made and a cool refractor finish. I would expect them to sell in the range of the 98 PMGs but they have never gotten to that level. Great addition to my PC!!

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
hey i have a question about these proof crusades. i noticed the ones sold by samho didn't have the *** / 250, etc. they were just blank. is that something that not all the proofs received? i noticed that the mike piazza executive proofs had that *** / numbering on it, so was just curious.

A number of "Sample" cards are also known to exist. These cards are serial-numbered either "***/250" (green), "***/100" (purple), or "XX/25" (red). It is believed that these cards were produced for Donruss' staff and were used in-house for final approval before production.
Donruss had plans for extending the Crusade set into 1999 and beyond, however with the bankruptcy of their parent Pinnacle Brands, those plans never came to fruition. However, in the years since a number of Crusades with card numbers above 130 have surfaced. It is that many of these cards were "backdoored" after the Pinnacle Brands bankruptcy.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013

The biggest difference I believe is that the xx proofs have serial numbered counterparts while the backdoored non-numbered are uniquely new versions which would've been set for future releases.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
The biggest difference I believe is that the xx proofs have serial numbered counterparts while the backdoored non-numbered are uniquely new versions which would've been set for future releases.

Crusades with card numbers above 130

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Thanks I was really happy to pick this one up.
I picked up the other 98 Prized #726 last year and I have wanted this one ever since. They are super rare with only 55 copies made and a cool refractor finish. I would expect them to sell in the range of the 98 PMGs but they have never gotten to that level. Great addition to my PC!!

People dont realize unless you see those cards in person how nice they are. I had picked up Griffey Jr. Jeter and CAl Ripken and Piazza Executive suite version PC's from that set, (sold them all) Kind of wish I hadnt now, but, I think the hardest thing about the donruss preferred set for value reasons is the lack of numbering. If they would have numbered these cards along with the Precious Metals /50 I think they would fetch a far higher premium.!!!

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I broke a case of that. Pulled 5 PMGs and 2 linchpins. Pretty brutal overall but def fun looking for gem masters! I'm in for a group break tho!

Last edited:

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
People dont realize unless you see those cards in person how nice they are. I had picked up Griffey Jr. Jeter and CAl Ripken and Piazza Executive suite version PC's from that set, (sold them all) Kind of wish I hadnt now, but, I think the hardest thing about the donruss preferred set for value reasons is the lack of numbering. If they would have numbered these cards along with the Precious Metals /50 I think they would fetch a far higher premium.!!!

I agree. Donruss was the first to start serial numbering inserts on a regular basis in the early 90s, but in 1997-1998, for whatever reason they didn't number their tough parallels. Anyway, here is my contribution: 2 ****ty pictures of cards that look much better in hand. (I'm not sure how you guys make your cards look so good.)

1997 Donruss Limited Exposure Star Factor /40
1998 Donruss Collections Preferred Prized Collection /55
9798DonrussGriffey.jpg
LimitedExposureGriffey.jpg
PrizedCollectionGriffey.jpg

Jhileman79

Nov 28, 2014
I agree. Donruss was the first to start serial numbering inserts on a regular basis in the early 90s, but in 1997-1998, for whatever reason they didn't number their tough parallels. Anyway, here is my contribution: 2 ****ty pictures of cards that look much better in hand. (I'm not sure how you guys make your cards look so good.)

View attachment 49129
View attachment 49130
View attachment 49131

I have the Jeter 97 Limited Exposure as well and I love the refractor foil. You an get releativy cheap for a 97 with a /40 print run. There is one on eBay now for $99. Where as I paid a 5x more for my Grand Finale with a print run of 50.

Dec 4, 2008
FWIW I believe the Grand Finale print run at 50. Those have been so scarce in the secondary market for the past decade (although def difficult to distinguish). But the Star Factor Limited Exposure at 40? I don't buy it. Based on the way heavy volume of the LE dumped on eBay about 5-6 years ago, I am thinking the real population is at least 3x stated. I owned 3 of the Chippers at one time (Star Factor, allegedly of 40) and saw several more change hands shortly thereafter, all at liquidation prices of $10 per. My collection used to be pretty extensive hut not THAT extensive. Definitely smelled like a backdoor to me. Same seller had a ton of those 1997 Pinnacle New Green APs as well. Picked up 4 of the Chippers at $1-2 apiece.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

View attachment 49129
View attachment 49130
View attachment 49131

Sold my 1997 Donruss Limited Exposure Star Factor /40 years back :(

starfac.jpg

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Glad you liked the PMG card wish you luck with the other funny because you have the one I need and I have the other you need. If you ever plan on getting rid of the Prized collection let me know as I am interested.

1998 Donruss Preferred Collections Prized FB #559 Print Run 55
1999 Fleer Metal Universe MLPD PMG 11/50

View attachment 49053View attachment 49054

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
FWIW I believe the Grand Finale print run at 50. Those have been so scarce in the secondary market for the past decade (although def difficult to distinguish). But the Star Factor Limited Exposure at 40? I don't buy it. Based on the way heavy volume of the LE dumped on eBay about 5-6 years ago, I am thinking the real population is at least 3x stated. I owned 3 of the Chippers at one time (Star Factor, allegedly of 40) and saw several more change hands shortly thereafter, all at liquidation prices of $10 per. My collection used to be pretty extensive hut not THAT extensive. Definitely smelled like a backdoor to me. Same seller had a ton of those 1997 Pinnacle New Green APs as well. Picked up 4 of the Chippers at $1-2 apiece.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

"But the Star Factor Limited Exposure at 40? I don't buy it."

I Buy it. When they all showed up I bought all the Juan's I could. I have 7 Juan's now. On the Juan Gone collectors site 20 are accounted for.
Since I bought back then I have not seen one since.

juan_picture.php

juan_picture.php

Members online

Latest posts