Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I grew up in the 80s and collected cards from that decade and then into the very early 90s. During this time, I also developed a taste for 50s Topps cards. Then, off to college and work during college, and I missed most of the cards of the 90s. Around 2000 I got back in for a couple of years and racked up some nice vintage but sold it all and went to grad school. I got married in 2002 and got settled into a career and first child was born in 2006.

Sometime shortly thereafter I started collecting again and have been at it continually ever since. I have mainly collected postwar and prewar baseball, built some sets, broke them up, had a 60s football phase, etc. In the last year or two, I have gone back to some of my 80s cards I loved so much. Also bought some T206 and 50s star cards. However, I keep coming back to the 80s and then I found this thread about the 90s cards. It occurred to me that I completely missed these cards. I mean I watched baseball during the 90s, I just had no money then.

This thread grabbed my eye, and I appreciate your suggestions. I guess it is weird to go from vintage back to 80s and 90s cards, but that's what I am thinking right now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It isn't weird at all. Chase what you like. I bought a cheap 1991 Upper Deck box to break with my son and pulled the Michael Jordan SP and since I've been working on low end 90s inserts that I remember chasing back then like 1993 Upper Deck Then & Now, Donruss Diamond Kings, and all the cool early 90s Ultra inserts. It doesn't have to be expensive to be fun.

Robert1973

Feb 24, 2019
It isn't weird at all. Chase what you like. I bought a cheap 1991 Upper Deck box to break with my son and pulled the Michael Jordan SP and since I've been working on low end 90s inserts that I remember chasing back then like 1993 Upper Deck Then & Now, Donruss Diamond Kings, and all the cool early 90s Ultra inserts. It doesn't have to be expensive to be fun.
Go Cardinals! You speak the truth. I love the 80s and 90s cards for sure. I have chased some of the '82 Topps Blackless and '84 Topps encased when I am looking for something a little less common. You are right that stuff doesn't have to be pricey to be fun. Congratulations on pulling MJ!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Best dufex cards ever! Ryan #1 with a close 2nd from the PIazza pair. If Salmon had a better career, he would be right there as well.

408221.jpg1993-Score-Select-Rookie-Traded-Mike-Piazza-All-Star.jpgMike-Piazza.jpgTim-Salmon-1.jpgTim-Salmon.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Heck, they are all awesome. Here is a real colorful (and very common) dufex card that I thought was amazing. I thought it was the Pinnacle Passer card at first, as I had never seen either.

s-l400.jpgs-l225.jpg

Then we had these. Dufux was THE BEST.

362944.jpgdownload.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Oooh, I read the first sentence and was mashing my keyboard to log in and start the mother of all flame wars. Righteous indignation I summon thee!

Then I read the second sentence. And I calmed down :)

You do not want to go the Dufex route. They are awful.

(I'm lying. I just don't want more competitors.)

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I would highly recommend the awesomeness of Donruss Crusades. Just get a green one of a noname for cheap so you can see the design in person, and if you like it can continue with the $$$ ones.

interested in the Red?
ortia Red_jpg_original.jpg

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
interested in the Red?
View attachment 97507

Very nice card, I am getting hard and "red" even looking at it!! :)

this-is-my-first-meme-happy-v-day_o_4590193.webp

sadly I am closer to selling than to buying any more these days... trying to sell other things before cards but who knows what will happen.

Members online