Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saucywombat

Feb 4, 2010
Folly Beach, SC
I just realized this card will soon have six HOFers on it. Even though some were well on their way, they were not slam dunks in 1996. Chipper was the riskiest at the time with just one full season under his belt. The football one comes close, but they had some easy selections (Marino and Rice) and then inexplicably threw Jeff Blake on there.

I'm sure Jeff Blake is in the East Carolina Hall of Fame.

Really was a great QB but unfortunately had to play for the Bengals. I'm sure they'd take Blake over Andy Dalton.

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017
I
63a925b7850bf59902b9fec82255d4b5.jpg

Wow! Here’s mine!

Always wondered what this may bring at auction, but don’t really wanna sell! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I
63a925b7850bf59902b9fec82255d4b5.jpg

Wow! Here’s mine!

Always wondered what this may bring at auction, but don’t really wanna sell! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing what I've seen of your collection on here if cry for you if you sold that, mirror blacks are breathtaking! Cornerstone of collections

stressreelief

Dec 2, 2011
some other reasons to grade your cards

Why would someone grade that? Authentication?

Guys and Nelson , I grade for a couple different reasons . The #1 reason is it is kind of an insurance policy . If something was to happen to me , I can't expect my wife and kids to know what to do with my collection . With the card graded , all you have to do is take a picture and use the caption from the grading label as your EBAY title and you guys will do all the rest . Reason #2 is when I first started to sell on EBAY ( raw cards ) , I would get people complaining about the condition and wanting a discount or a full refund after they received the card . I've also refunded and the guy on the other end sends me back the same card in a lesser condition ( switched out ) . Since I started only selling graded cards , I have had only one card ever returned and that was because the postal machine smashed the plastic holder . You can never get an argument about the grade , they can take that up with PSA or Beckett if they don't like it . For these two reasons alone , it is worth the 7 bucks a card ! Thanks , John

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Guys and Nelson , I grade for a couple different reasons . The #1 reason is it is kind of an insurance policy . If something was to happen to me , I can't expect my wife and kids to know what to do with my collection . With the card graded , all you have to do is take a picture and use the caption from the grading label as your EBAY title and you guys will do all the rest . Reason #2 is when I first started to sell on EBAY ( raw cards ) , I would get people complaining about the condition and wanting a discount or a full refund after they received the card . I've also refunded and the guy on the other end sends me back the same card in a lesser condition ( switched out ) . Since I started only selling graded cards , I have had only one card ever returned and that was because the postal machine smashed the plastic holder . You can never get an argument about the grade , they can take that up with PSA or Beckett if they don't like it . For these two reasons alone , it is worth the 7 bucks a card ! Thanks , John

#2 is good point. It seems like this card just sold already within the past year, so if the intention all along was to resell that's a good way of looking at it - covering your butt.

#1 is irrelevant to me because I am immortal.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
High prices for stuff like this would/will not be surprising in the least. What is surprising is how high how fast prices went. I have no way of knowing if shill bidding is happening, nor could i ever prove it, it just seems fishy that two user IDs popped on most of the auctions, including some duplicate listings for drastically different amounts.
Shilling isn't something I would usually even think of but there are enough flags popping up for me to really think it over. At the end of the day most of these would go for a decent chunk of change anyway. In a few days as auctions come closer to the end it will be interesting to see how many more people jump in.

Good points. And like others referenced, I agree that two 15k+ feedback bidders leading almost across the board in the first few days is blatantly suspicious.

Question to consider now: Given what I believe about the bidding activity, am I willing to compete for the listings I'm interested in?

Like you said, the final sale prices were already going to be strong but may be higher given the *spitballs* we saw Monday/Tuesday.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014

#2 is a good point that I have never considered and is good to know for reference.

Wish I were immortal.

[MENTION=16706]Ripkenfan126[/MENTION] - incredible!

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I know it's a long shot but does anyone have either of the last two '97 Griffey SP Vintage Buyback Autos for sale:
1997 SP Vintage Autographs #8 Ken Griffey Jr. '93 (#/16)
1997 SP Vintage Autographs #9 Ken Griffey Jr. '93PP (#/5)
to go with these below. Please let me know or if you may have a lead on another collector who may. Thanks!

fC2dEie.jpg
No help here, Sorry.......... [MENTION=3327]flarick[/MENTION] maybe??

stressreelief

Dec 2, 2011
Cards you are interested in and the follow up

Good points. And like others referenced, I agree that two 15k+ feedback bidders leading almost across the board in the first few days is blatantly suspicious.

Question to consider now: Given what I believe about the bidding activity, am I willing to compete for the listings I'm interested in?

Like you said, the final sale prices were already going to be strong but may be higher given the *spitballs* we saw Monday/Tuesday.

Alot of you are knowledgeable enough to know if the guys that are schilling ultimately win the card , that will card turn up in another auction or turn up in an Ebay listing that one of those two clowns operates . If you really have to own the card , go for it . If you want a pay a certain price , just be patient and the card will surface again , probably even within a month . one last point about grading guys is the multiplier you get with certain players . The set registry has created an opportunity to generate a lot of money that you can parlay back into your collections . In the last PWCC auction a 1996 Jeter Pacific Crown Collection base card in a PSA 10 got 476 dollars . That's a 50 cent card at a show , it is almost borderline insanity . There have been 6 1996 Bowman foil Jeter cards that have graded 10 . I am responsible for four of them . I kept one in my collection and the other three have brought back almost 4000 dollars in cash and trade . How do you NOT do this ( grade your cards ) is a better question ! I really didn't think this would catch on when it first started . I felt grading should stay with coins and had no place in our hobby . I missed that boat . I could have had Jeter 1993 PSA 10s back in the day for 3 to 5 grand and now they're 50 grand . SHOULD HAVE , COULD HAVE , BUT DIDN'T . THE WORDS OF A LOSER ! Most decisions in life are nothing more than a math equation and seeing what graded cards get over raw cards is simple math . Have a great night guys . John

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Alot of you are knowledgeable enough to know if the guys that are schilling ultimately win the card , that will card turn up in another auction or turn up in an Ebay listing that one of those two clowns operates . If you really have to own the card , go for it . If you want a pay a certain price , just be patient and the card will surface again , probably even within a month . one last point about grading guys is the multiplier you get with certain players . The set registry has created an opportunity to generate a lot of money that you can parlay back into your collections . In the last PWCC auction a 1996 Jeter Pacific Crown Collection base card in a PSA 10 got 476 dollars . That's a 50 cent card at a show , it is almost borderline insanity . There have been 6 1996 Bowman foil Jeter cards that have graded 10 . I am responsible for four of them . I kept one in my collection and the other three have brought back almost 4000 dollars in cash and trade . How do you NOT do this ( grade your cards ) is a better question ! I really didn't think this would catch on when it first started . I felt grading should stay with coins and had no place in our hobby . I missed that boat . I could have had Jeter 1993 PSA 10s back in the day for 3 to 5 grand and now they're 50 grand . SHOULD HAVE , COULD HAVE , BUT DIDN'T . THE WORDS OF A LOSER ! Most decisions in life are nothing more than a math equation and seeing what graded cards get over raw cards is simple math . Have a great night guys . John
John a 1996 Mirror Gold Jeter PSA 10 sold for $1500.00 once now it will go for a ton more to I missed my opportunity on the Mirror Gold and I am ok with it. That card is a rich persons card or a lucky persons card now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014

John the problem is you are quoting Jeter who has a strong registry presence. Nobody else has the same presence as he does. 90% of Griffey stuff from the 90s commands no premium in a PSA 10 or BGS 9.5. Always outliers but even recently a 97 Platinum Stars /30 griffey PSA 10 for the same price my raw sold for. Many of his pop 1 dufex inserts for instance would sell around $150-$200 regardless of rarity of it raw.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Question about 1999 Finest Refractors. I noticed the back of my GEMS subset card has no refractor finish. I noticed the back of my Sterling subset card does have a refractor finish. I do not have a Gamers subset card. I looked at the back of refractors on COMC, but I cannot tell from their scans if the backs are refractor finish. Just making sure that Sterling subset refractors are supposed to have a refractor finish on the back, and curious which ones do and which ones do not (base, GEMS, Sterling, Gamers, Rookies). Thank you.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts