Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Any info?

Just got these in. Very excited with the Manny as it does not match the 99 E-X base, Now, or Future that I have. Holo font is that of the base card, but the clear yellow card stock is definitely different. I seem to recall a picture of a Griffey shown here on FCB...but don't recall any info being provided on it at all. I may have found images of McGwire and Piazza on the web. Any info is appreciated.

IMG_zpspl0id5hy.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I still think these are just base cards that have reacted to sun light, similar to this card:

Frank-Thomas.jpg

Notice the sun damage was prevented by a sticker on the top loader it was originally stored in.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
The color is perfectly even, and doesn't look "yellowed" at all (to me). There are a bunch of base cards for this issue on comc that look slightly yellowed to me, and they don't look similar to these two at all.

I still think these are just base cards that have reacted to sun light, similar to this card:

Frank-Thomas.jpg

Notice the sun damage was prevented by a sticker on the top loader it was originally stored in.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
The color is perfectly even, and doesn't look "yellowed" at all (to me). There are a bunch of base cards for this issue on comc that look slightly yellowed to me, and they don't look similar to these two at all.

I concur. I have several copies and there are no irregularities.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I picked up a Jeter and this was brought up a few months ago I can't remember there thoughts but I don't believe it was from the sun. It looks mostly like a test run that they might have passed on it.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Just got these in. Very excited with the Manny as it does not match the 99 E-X base, Now, or Future that I have. Holo font is that of the base card, but the clear yellow card stock is definitely different. I seem to recall a picture of a Griffey shown here on FCB...but don't recall any info being provided on it at all. I may have found images of McGwire and Piazza on the web. Any info is appreciated.

IMG_zpspl0id5hy.jpg

Attachments

• Jeter0006.jpg
    Jeter0006.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Jeter0005.jpg
    Jeter0005.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 155

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I gave up on debating whether these were legitimately gold long ago. Some people just refuse to believe. The exact same technique was used a few years later in 2003 EX Essential Credentials Future.

attachment.php

Alex-Rodriguez.jpg

2003 EX Essential Credentials Future #67 - Alex Rodriguez /36
Courtesy of COMC.com

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
They were discussed on 3-30-16, starting with post #16037 . I brought them up when several got listed on ebay. I grabbed the Vlad for $2, others went cheap too. They're definitely not yellowed by the sun (color is too consistent), they were some sort of test run as far as I'm concerned.

vlad99EXGOLDTEST.jpg

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Thank you gents. So we have established that the recent ones are coming from the same seller overseas, who also had basketball and perhaps football versions with the same clear yellow plastic stock color that was never pack issued. In house test/proof run/prototype seems like the most likely explanation. I'll add to the updated checklist of observed cards. If I can come up with an extra base Manny I will leave it on a windowsill and that could close the book (or prove!) the yellowing theory ;)

Although not officially recognized, I'd agree, after having one in hand there's little chance that this could be an aftermarket effect or printing error, IMO. Several sources have now popped up for these as well. Checklist now appears to be up to the following:

Griffey
Jeter
Piazza
Sosa
Nomar
Rodriguez
Glaus
Helton
Gwynn
McGwire
Burrell
Vlad
Thomas
Ripken
Chipper
Beltran
El Duque

Addiitons:
Manny Ramirez
Mike Mussina

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
They were discussed on 3-30-16, starting with post #16037 . I brought them up when several got listed on ebay. I grabbed the Vlad for $2, others went cheap too. They're definitely not yellowed by the sun (color is too consistent), they were some sort of test run as far as I'm concerned.

Well, I do not have the Gwynn, so I think they're yellowed by a light, probably a grow-light in some marijuana production plant, where some loser stoner is trying to make a quick scam.
However, if I could get a Gwynn into my collection, then I'd think they're executive proofs, only one set made, then given by the owner of Fleer/Skybox to the leader of China in a good-will effort to extend production to their country.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Well, I do not have the Gwynn, so I think they're yellowed by a light, probably a grow-light in some marijuana production plant, where some loser stoner is trying to make a quick scam.
However, if I could get a Gwynn into my collection, then I'd think they're executive proofs, only one set made, then given by the owner of Fleer/Skybox to the leader of China in a good-will effort to extend production to their country.

:cool:

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011

So because you don't have a Gwynn you are saying there fake that doesn't make since. I am pretty sure they had made other years sort of like what this card looks like I could pull some examples. This has the same look as the card that has been mentioned an I am sure it wasn't from Sun Light or any other suggestion you can mention. I have seen quite a few E-X color variations on different years and I can tell you seeing the card in person it's nothing that you have mentioned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-X-ESSENTI...683629?hash=item3f562c4d6d:g:1qsAAOSwr81URWVF

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
So because you don't have a Gwynn you are saying there fake that doesn't make since. I am pretty sure they had made other years sort of like what this card looks like I could pull some examples. This has the same look as the card that has been mentioned an I am sure it wasn't from Sun Light or any other suggestion you can mention. I have seen quite a few E-X color variations on different years and I can tell you seeing the card in person it's nothing that you have mentioned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-X-ESSENTI...683629?hash=item3f562c4d6d:g:1qsAAOSwr81URWVF

Look up, there is something flying over your head...

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts