Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused by ending price - bid history doesn't match

BuynHiSellnLow
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confused by ending price - bid history doesn't match

What am I missing here? The below bid history is for a card I just won but based on that, the second highest bidder, bid $316.28 which I thought would mean that my bid would be $10 more than that. So, why was my winning bid $400? I've already paid as this doesn't seem to be any impropriety on the seller's part but I'm still trying to figure out what happened here?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0711528594

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Confused by ending price - bid history doesn't match

Quote Originally Posted by Buynhisellnlow
    What am I missing here? The below bid history is for a card I just won but based on that, the second highest bidder, bid $316.28 which I thought would mean that my bid would be $10 more than that. So, why was my winning bid $400? I've already paid as this doesn't seem to be any impropriety on the seller's part but I'm still trying to figure out what happened here?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0711528594
    Doesn't make sense, nor does the 2nd bidder having two idential bids at the same time. There's some sort of a bug . . . you may want to call eBay, but I would bet that the seller won't take less than $400, even if eBay declares there to be a bug. Best you could do is get the auction invalidated... if you even want that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reserve was $400

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nbailey
    The reserve was $400
    That would make sense, if there was a reserve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was probably a $400 reserve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the auction does say "Reserve Met" right below the winning bid price, so I think we can rest assured there was, in fact, a reserve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing you sniped if your asking this question.
    Please check this ebay link, new items listed all the time, never a reserve!! http://shop.ebay.com/badago76/m.html?_n ... rom=&_ipg=

BuynHiSellnLow
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abeabe
    Yep, I sure did.

Lesson learned though, I will no longer be bidding on auctions with a reserve. When I really want a card, I usually set my snipe well above what I think it'll go for. If someone else happens to bid enough to make it higher than I anticipated paying then I don't have an issue with that. But I didn't realize that a high snipe would automatically push the bid to the reserve amount. I have had auctions in the past where I won them but the reserve wasn't met. In the end though, it was my fault for not knowing that and I have already paid for the item. I just won't be bidding on any auctions with a reserve in the future.

Thanks for the help all.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had non winning snipes that drove up the price, but didn't show up in the bid history

richandsheryl
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshHamilton
    I've had non winning snipes that drove up the price, but didn't show up in the bid history
    That would be that your snipe never fired then. Because the price was over your snipe before the bid was to be placed for you.

I was lurking on a card that was at 25 and I put in a snipe for 32.51 and in the last few minutes even before my snipe would have been placed (in the last few seconds) it seemed 2 guys got into a bidding war or a shill was put in the mix. Anyway my bid never got added in the bidding and it went for 36.76 so it was over my price so my snipe never fired.
    -Richard-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I sure did.

Lesson learned though, I will no longer be bidding on auctions with a reserve. When I really want a card, I usually set my snipe well above what I think it'll go for. If someone else happens to bid enough to make it higher than I anticipated paying then I don't have an issue with that. But I didn't realize that a high snipe would automatically push the bid to the reserve amount. I have had auctions in the past where I won them but the reserve wasn't met. In the end though, it was my fault for not knowing that and I have already paid for the item. I just won't be bidding on any auctions with a reserve in the future.

Thanks for the help all.
    this makes no sense. dont bid more than you want to spend. you clearly bid over $400 so you got it for less than you were willing to spend. the problem isnt in the reserve system.

lanlord99
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this what happened: 2nd bidder had the highest bid and bid again to raise his proxy. Your snipe met his Reserve and dropped his proxy bid?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KLARNOLD
    Is this what happened: 2nd bidder had the highest bid and bid again to raise his proxy. Your snipe met his Reserve and dropped his proxy bid?
    if a seller has a reserve and you bid above the reserve then it doesnt matter what the 2nd highest bidder bids unless that bid is also above the reserve.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I sure did.

Thanks for the help all.
    That RED part makes zero sense.
    Sent using my two hands, ten fingers, a keyboard and an internet connection.

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If your put in ANY bid that meets the Reserve Amount, then the bid will ALWAYS count as the first bid above an accepted amount. Pretty much end of story. If any complaint arises, I'm sure most people would say not to snipe with an amount you aren't willing to pay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast