Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Confused by ending price - bid history doesn't match

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
What am I missing here? The below bid history is for a card I just won but based on that, the second highest bidder, bid $316.28 which I thought would mean that my bid would be $10 more than that. So, why was my winning bid $400? I've already paid as this doesn't seem to be any impropriety on the seller's part but I'm still trying to figure out what happened here?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0711528594

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Buynhisellnlow said:
What am I missing here? The below bid history is for a card I just won but based on that, the second highest bidder, bid $316.28 which I thought would mean that my bid would be $10 more than that. So, why was my winning bid $400? I've already paid as this doesn't seem to be any impropriety on the seller's part but I'm still trying to figure out what happened here?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0711528594

Doesn't make sense, nor does the 2nd bidder having two idential bids at the same time. There's some sort of a bug . . . you may want to call eBay, but I would bet that the seller won't take less than $400, even if eBay declares there to be a bug. Best you could do is get the auction invalidated... if you even want that.

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
Well, the auction does say "Reserve Met" right below the winning bid price, so I think we can rest assured there was, in fact, a reserve. :)

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
abeabe said:
I'm guessing you sniped if your asking this question.

Yep, I sure did.

Lesson learned though, I will no longer be bidding on auctions with a reserve. When I really want a card, I usually set my snipe well above what I think it'll go for. If someone else happens to bid enough to make it higher than I anticipated paying then I don't have an issue with that. But I didn't realize that a high snipe would automatically push the bid to the reserve amount. I have had auctions in the past where I won them but the reserve wasn't met. In the end though, it was my fault for not knowing that and I have already paid for the item. I just won't be bidding on any auctions with a reserve in the future.

Thanks for the help all.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
JoshHamilton said:
I've had non winning snipes that drove up the price, but didn't show up in the bid history
That would be that your snipe never fired then. Because the price was over your snipe before the bid was to be placed for you.

I was lurking on a card that was at 25 and I put in a snipe for 32.51 and in the last few minutes even before my snipe would have been placed (in the last few seconds) it seemed 2 guys got into a bidding war or a shill was put in the mix. Anyway my bid never got added in the bidding and it went for 36.76 so it was over my price so my snipe never fired.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Buynhisellnlow said:
abeabe said:

Yep, I sure did.

Lesson learned though, I will no longer be bidding on auctions with a reserve. When I really want a card, I usually set my snipe well above what I think it'll go for. If someone else happens to bid enough to make it higher than I anticipated paying then I don't have an issue with that. But I didn't realize that a high snipe would automatically push the bid to the reserve amount. I have had auctions in the past where I won them but the reserve wasn't met. In the end though, it was my fault for not knowing that and I have already paid for the item. I just won't be bidding on any auctions with a reserve in the future.

Thanks for the help all.

this makes no sense. dont bid more than you want to spend. you clearly bid over $400 so you got it for less than you were willing to spend. the problem isnt in the reserve system.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Is this what happened: 2nd bidder had the highest bid and bid again to raise his proxy. Your snipe met his Reserve and dropped his proxy bid?

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
KLARNOLD said:
Is this what happened: 2nd bidder had the highest bid and bid again to raise his proxy. Your snipe met his Reserve and dropped his proxy bid?

if a seller has a reserve and you bid above the reserve then it doesnt matter what the 2nd highest bidder bids unless that bid is also above the reserve.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Buynhisellnlow said:
abeabe said:

Yep, I sure did.

Thanks for the help all.

That RED part makes zero sense.

A_Pharis

If your put in ANY bid that meets the Reserve Amount, then the bid will ALWAYS count as the first bid above an accepted amount. Pretty much end of story. If any complaint arises, I'm sure most people would say not to snipe with an amount you aren't willing to pay.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
Musial Collector said:
Buynhisellnlow said:
abeabe said:

Yep, I sure did.

Thanks for the help all.

That RED part makes zero sense.

In the RED part, I meant that I was under the impression that the snipe would still only cause the bid to be incrementally proportionate to what the second highest bid was and not automatically cause a bid that met the reserve amount. For instance, if the next highest bidder bid $310 then I thought my final bid / ending price would be $320 and then if that wasn't high enough to meet the reserve then the auction would be completed without the reserve being met.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
rehmus said:
Buynhisellnlow said:
abeabe said:

Yep, I sure did.

Thanks for the help all.

this makes no sense. dont bid more than you want to spend. you clearly bid over $400 so you got it for less than you were willing to spend. the problem isnt in the reserve system.

No, the problem was with me not knowing how it the reserve system currently works in regard to registering bids. I never said the issue was with the system. I even clearly state this in the bolded part above, acknowledging full responsibility for the issue.

I am willing to spend the standard incremental amount over the second highest bid, not automatically spend what the reserve is. This system makes it to where, at times, that may not happen so I will choose to not participate in an auction with a reserve.

Members online