Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryan Braun Extended (Again) Through 2020

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Hopefully this gives hope to other small-market clubs that they can keep superstars around if they're handled right (cough...Pirates...cough).

:)

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Great player, but extending that far into the future seems to me like an unwarranted risk. Odds are unlikely Braun puts up numbers that will warrant more than $21 million a year, and the injury risk is very real over that long a contract.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Topnotchsy said:
Great player, but extending that far into the future seems to me like an unwarranted risk. Odds are unlikely Braun puts up numbers that will warrant more than $21 million a year, and the injury risk is very real over that long a contract.

Only Pujols has put up the numbers Braun has in the first few of years of their careers. If there's a player you risk this on, it's Braun.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
As phenomenal as guys like Braun and Tulo are, I think the risk far outweighs the reward on behalf of the clubs. Especially for mid-range clubs like MIL and COL where a contract of that size gone horribly awry could cripple payroll for the better part of a decade.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
braden said:
As phenomenal as guys like Braun and Tulo are, I think the risk far outweighs the reward on behalf of the clubs. Especially for mid-range clubs like MIL and COL where a contract of that size gone horribly awry could cripple payroll for the better part of a decade.

While I agree, these clubs have to pay essentially over market value in years in order to keep the players in the "smaller" markets. Are Braun and Tulo two of the best in the game, yes. Do I think Braun will still be in 7-9 years, idk. But it was necessary to keep him

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
braden said:

I'm a little confused on why we're comparing Tulo and Braun. Tulo isn't in Braun's offensive class thus far and HAS been injured.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
sheetskout said:
braden said:

I'm a little confused on why we're comparing Tulo and Braun. Tulo isn't in Braun's offensive class thus far and HAS been injured.

Are you being serious about Tulo not being in Brauns class? i would have to say even hurt, Tulo is in the same class.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
phillyfan0417 said:
sheetskout said:
braden said:

Are you being serious about Tulo not being in Brauns class? i would have to say even hurt, Tulo is in the same class.

I'm not saying that Tulo doesn't have the talent to get there. He will also probably be there in a year. But until he drives in 100, has 200 hits, and frankly averages more than 600AB's (heck, 500!) for two straight seasons then no, he isn't. He's missed significant time twice due to injury while Braun has averaged 600+ AB's the past four seasons. If this is about risk, then no....Tulo is not in Braun's class yet as a safe investment for their respective clubs.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Im glad I held onto these pulls
BRAUNRYAN1.jpg
BRAUNRYAN.jpg
RYANBRAUN.jpg

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
sheetskout said:
phillyfan0417 said:
sheetskout said:
braden said:

I'm not saying that Tulo doesn't have the talent to get there. He will also probably be there in a year. But until he drives in 100, has 200 hits, and frankly averages more than 600AB's (heck, 500!) for two straight seasons then no, he isn't. He's missed significant time twice due to injury while Braun has averaged 600+ AB's the past four seasons. If this is about risk, then no....Tulo is not in Braun's class yet as a safe investment for their respective clubs.

Once again you shift the debate when you're called on it. I really like Ryan Braun as you can see in my bucket but to say Tulo isnt in his offensive class is not correct. Braun is the smarter risk but keep the debate there because you cant really win based on ALL AROUND numbers.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
phillyfan0417 said:
sheetskout said:
phillyfan0417 said:
sheetskout said:
braden said:

Once again you shift the debate when you're called on it. I really like Ryan Braun as you can see in my bucket but to say Tulo isnt in his offensive class is not correct. Braun is the smarter risk but keep the debate there because you cant really win based on ALL AROUND numbers.

Go over them then! Braun has Tulo in just about every category! And it's WAY to early to use 2011 numbers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... tr01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ry02.shtml

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
phillyfan0417 said:
sheetskout said:
phillyfan0417 said:
sheetskout said:
phillyfan0417 said:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... tr01.shtml[/url]

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ry02.shtml[/quote:3pmln4bw]

You wouldnt consider their numbers to be close?[/quote:3pmln4bw]

In some areas. But the premise here (and I long-quoted this for a reason) was that a contract-gone-wrong for a smaller-market club could paralyze them for a decade. There is no reason to think that Braun will do nothing but be on the field. There is EVERY reason to believe that a guy like Tulo (oversized SS) will have trouble staying on the field. I realize he's the player with mojo right now, but let's be real. The guy has had one season in the past three with over 500 AB's and one of those he didn't even have 400!

Disclaimer: This debate has NOTHING to do with the value Tulo brings at that thin position which is inherently valuable. I obviously realize that.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
sheetskout said:
phillyfan0417 said:
sheetskout said:
phillyfan0417 said:
sheetskout said:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... tr01.shtml[/url]

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ry02.shtml[/quote:1n1q2cyp]

You wouldnt consider their numbers to be close?[/quote:1n1q2cyp]

In some areas. But the premise here (and I long-quoted this for a reason) was that a contract-gone-wrong for a smaller-market club could paralyze them for a decade. There is no reason to think that Braun will do nothing but be on the field. There is EVERY reason to believe that a guy like Tulo (oversized SS) will have trouble staying on the field. I realize he's the player with mojo right now, but let's be real. The guy has had one season in the past three with over 500 AB's and one of those he didn't even have 400!

Disclaimer: This debate has NOTHING to do with the value Tulo brings at that thin position which is inherently valuable. I obviously realize that.[/quote:1n1q2cyp]

The only reason I mentioned Tulo and Braun is because they are the only two players in MLB signed through 2020.

Also: There is every reason to believe that injuries could prevent Braun and/or Tulo from completing their contracts. That's the whole point. Predicting the health of anybody ten years out is pointless. Thus, the club takes on a much larger risk than the player loses in potential future earnings. To say there is "no reason to think that Braun will do nothing but be on the field" for the next ten years is foolish.

I won't start on comparing the values of Braun versus Tulowitzki. They're both fantastic players but I don't think there's a baseball exec alive who would take Braun over Tulo.

Members online