Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Your opinion on Machado and Teheran Chrome autos?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
What are your opinions on Manny Machado and Julio Teheran base chrome autos?

I think both are a little pricey but have magnificent potential and could explode by September.

My dilemna is, is it worth paying a little more on them with the potential they have? Or are their prices too high to buy into, reguardless of their potential. Opinions?

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Instead of asking in a second thread I will here, is now a bad time to buy Mike Trout or has that ship sailed?

OP: Sorry to hijack your thread.

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
SydBarrett said:
Instead of asking in a second thread I will here, is now a bad time to buy Mike Trout or has that ship sailed?

OP: Sorry to hijack your thread.

The ship has sailed about a year ago

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Not many of us would have the thousands of dollars to it would take to make a significant run at Machado. Some players just never have a suitable buy-in point.

If the plan is to buy one or two Machado base chrome autos and hope they reach $200.00 a pop you'll be disappointed more often than not. There are better investments out there.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
sheetskout said:
Not many of us would have the thousands of dollars to it would take to make a significant run at Machado. Some players just never have a suitable buy-in point.

If the plan is to buy one or two Machado base chrome autos and hope they reach $200.00 a pop you'll be disappointed more often than not. There are better investments out there.

I agree, I think there are much, much better investments out there.

To be honest, I would use this time doing a bit of "scouting" for the 2011 Bowman auto checklist(though scouting the TBD's is tough :lol: ). I would look over the guys who will have a 2011 Bowman auto, and figure out who you want to buy. Or, check out other guys who have chrome autos out already, and figure out who is undervalued.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Machado was compared to Rodriguez so he'll get every shot in the world to succeed. I think he's a safe buy.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
jrinne said:
Machado was compared to Rodriguez so he'll get every shot in the world to succeed. I think he's a safe buy.

You don't think Ben McDonald, Matt Bush, Brien Taylor, Brandon Wood, and Todd Van Poppell were compared to someone great? All first-round talents get a chance to succeed......

It's not the talent. It's the buy-in vs. the risk.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
sheetskout said:
jrinne said:

You don't think Ben McDonald, Matt Bush, Brien Taylor, Brandon Wood, and Todd Van Poppell were compared to someone great? All first-round talents get a chance to succeed......

It's not the talent. It's the buy-in vs. the risk.

I don't remember Wood or Bush ever being compared to anyone great before the draft. As for all the pitchers you named that would require a lot of digging to find information on. I agree its the buy in vs the risk but I personally think he's a safe buy

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
hail2thevictors said:
sheetskout said:

I agree, I think there are much, much better investments out there.

To be honest, I would use this time doing a bit of "scouting" for the 2011 Bowman auto checklist(though scouting the TBD's is tough :lol: ). I would look over the guys who will have a 2011 Bowman auto, and figure out who you want to buy. Or, check out other guys who have chrome autos out already, and figure out who is undervalued.

I agree with this. They may reach higher values in the future, but there are far better investments available in terms of ROI potential, total profit potential, and speed as far as how quickly your investment "matures".

If you're a Machado fan, great. Have at it. But as a prospector I think he is one of the most overpriced-from-release prospects in recent memory. Even if he turns out to be a stud, I just don't see any reason to be paying $75 (or however much they were) for chrome autos. Contrarily, I DID buy Taillon because he was less than a third of Machado's price and IMO is a far better prospect, at least at this point in time.

And just to note, this last point is not meant to start a debate over which of the two is better, it's simply my opinion and providing an example of one of the many, many better investments than Machado.

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
jrinne said:
Nick1190 said:
Alex Gordon was compared to George Brett

Alex Gordon still has time.

Time to become the next george Brett? This is his sixth year and he's never batted for more than 16 hr's, and he's never batted over .260. He's off to a good start this year, but we're only one month into the season..

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Nick1190 said:
jrinne said:
Nick1190 said:
Alex Gordon was compared to George Brett

Alex Gordon still has time.

Time to become the next george Brett? This is his sixth year and he's never batted for more than 16 hr's, and he's never batted over .260. He's off to a good start this year, but we're only one month into the season..

No, but he has plenty of time lose the label as a "bust". Im not saying Machado is going to be the next Rodriguez. All he needs to do is be labeled the next Heyward coming into spring training and his base autographs go for over 100+. Its a gamble but I see a lot of upside to this kid. He's 6'3" and will soon put on more muscle once the pro trainers get their hands on him. I think he's a safe buy.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Machado is a safe bet. To be fair, I paid a lot less for all versions of the Machado autos I have, mostly because I bought right away and some of it because I was patient. No reason to pay $75 for a base auto.

Teheran is tearing up the world right now, again a safe bet and his stuff is still reasonable all things considered imo.

Members online

Latest posts