User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sets you started but never completed?

44ProGloves
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sets you started but never completed?

Digging through my really outdated photobucket I found this picture

2006 Topps 52 RC Auto Set

Im still missing like 10 autos from the set.

Celebrate #FathersDay by taking 10% off any order on http://shop.44progloves.com today! Use code Dad44 to make our gloves only $144 today only! http://www.44PROGLOVES.COM

Please follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/44ProGloves"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Sets you started but never completed?

I'm not a set collector. Most worthwhile sets are too ambitious for my patience and budget.

After busting one box of 2005 Sweet Spot Classics, I became interested in the Classic Materials GU set. Very nice and simplistic design with a great checklist. I picked up maybe 6 or 7 in total, and then realized it was too big for me (especially considering the few $100+ cards in the set). I still have a couple.
    ffmancards.webs.com
    Collecting: Mickey Mantle, Tennessee Titans, HOF/Star rookies

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

2008 Finest. Really like the look of it, but lost interest about 25 cards short. Same with 2008 A&G

annieheartsjohn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1989 Score Baseball...I was only about 8 cards away, never finished it, it was the first set I ever tried to put together. I never tried to do a set again until a few years ago (2006 DPP Chrome FB) and finished it a few months ago.

Thank you to JBel4331 for the great banner.

check out MY cards: http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Users/twingnats
    Read my articles at:
    http://www.examiner.com/baseball-car.../john-anderson

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 Topps need less than 70 or so, 61 Topps need around 100 and 66 Topps need around 85 or so. 2002 -2010 Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs at around 430 need idk about 70 or so. I hope to finish a couple this year. maybe.

1911 T201 Mecca Double Folders.

I put about $1,500 into it. Got Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, and Christy Mathewson. The three key cards in the set. A few other Hall of Famers too. Then completely lost steam when it became all about buying commons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1983 Topps, I have all the big cards from that set I just need about 150 commons to fill it out. Same with 1993 Finest, I'm about 30-40 cards short on the set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2009 OPC.

Love it. But don't love it that much.
    Prospect Based Coding Adventure of the Week. It's a Search/Comparison! And next week, I'm sure there will be something new. No promises on how it works, but it should...work. I think.

and then there's the blog.

oh, and there's twitter

rwongdestiny
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigskincardboard
    2009 OPC.

Love it. But don't love it that much.
    Same here. I been trying to complete it and hopefully I will get it done

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried doing the 02 Prospect Premieres set auto'd ttm. I think I have like 10-12 more that I need.

2001 Donruss, I have everything but like 6 rated rookies /2001. I won't ever fork over the money for the Pujols or Ben Sheets, so that'll never get finished.

I also have a good percentage of the 1995 UD Special Edition set and the 1993 Collector's choice series 1 silver signature sets that I attempted to put together. Still have them but have no desire to complete either one.

Collecting University of Michigan alum 1/1's in football and basketball. I also collect Ken Griffey Jr. autos, Chicago Cubs and Blackhawks, and Kobe Bryant autos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1954 Bowman. Bought a huge lot of commons a few years ago and then picked up the Mantle. But then sold the Mantle to fund a Bridges purchase. Haven't touched them since.

t206 - Haven't gave up, just slowed down considerably.
    Collecting any and all rare Tommy Bridges items.
    You can check out some of my collection at http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/sbfinley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Junior Griffey
    I tried doing the 02 Prospect Premieres set auto'd ttm. I think I have like 10-12 more that I need.

2001 Donruss, I have everything but like 6 rated rookies /2001. I won't ever fork over the money for the Pujols or Ben Sheets, so that'll never get finished.

I also have a good percentage of the 1995 UD Special Edition set and the 1993 Collector's choice series 1 silver signature sets that I attempted to put together. Still have them but have no desire to complete either one.

I had done the same thing with Donruss 01 including the retro sets. I put together the 01 set, the 99 retro set and even got the Sabathia and the sheets redemptions, just can't seem to find the Ichiro 00 retro for the life of me!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

01 donruss was a great set. I have the Ichiro RR /2001, but eight the sheets and Pujols being redemptions they were always out of my price range. Now I just don't care about them. I pulled a lot of nice stuff from that, including a Ripken DK reprint auto /82.

Collecting University of Michigan alum 1/1's in football and basketball. I also collect Ken Griffey Jr. autos, Chicago Cubs and Blackhawks, and Kobe Bryant autos.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2008 UD Documentary. But I have about 22 boxes left to rip before I pick up singles to finish it. I'm probably about 1/3 of the way to the set at this point (and the postseason portion is complete so I'm working on the regular season portion).

I miss topps total! 2008 UD Documentary is the best challenge for me (cheap box, huge set) since I hate the Skankees and would never try the Skankee Stadium Legacy set.

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too many. Collecting sets is my main focus after my pllayer collections, and I've got a bunch of sets of varying difficulty and rarity sitting in my closet between 5-75% completion. 2003 Topps Pristine Golds, 1952 Topps PSA 6, 2005 Finest Gold Refs, 2005 Artifacts Gold #/25, 1941 Play Ball, 1955 Bowman, 1952 Bowman PSA 7, 1971 Topps Greatest Moments PSA 7, 2009 Topp 206 golds and silks, 2008 UD Timelines Platinums, and probably a few more. The 1971 GMs and 2008 Timelines are definitely active, and I'll finish the Play Ball and 55 Bowman eventually, but the others are pretty much abandoned. After 6 years I'm still 1 card short of the Old Judge Gold #/20 set, that probably never get done. Chris Bleepin' Burke.

The problem is I like low PR set, and often from obscure and/or expensive brands, and after a year or two they've completely dried up, or else Burbank has them at triple market value. I haven't added to my 2007 Premier base set in over a year, and I look all the time. It's #/99, so it's not real easy to find singles, but that feels rather ridiculous.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast