User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

  1. #1
    Senior Member markakis8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    12,079
     carddash
     carddash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    a fluke?

    dude just hit 2 bombs off David Price and almost hit for the cycle yesterday....

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    This guy is quickly becoming my favorite major leaguer. Ive watched this video like 8 times today, really takes you back to the Sosa/McGwire days



    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12404949
    Yes, my good man, Iíll have the milk steak, boiled over hard, and your finest jelly beans ... raw

  3. #3
    Senior Member All The Hype's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    10,250
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    Quote Originally Posted by mannyramirezcollec
    This guy is quickly becoming my favorite major leaguer. Ive watched this video like 8 times today, really takes you back to the Sosa/McGwire days



    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12404949
    Awesome video. I like that the last one was his only opposite field shot all year. And number 53 was just a moonshot. Great video to watch!

    And btw, glad I picked him up for my fantasy team this year


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    I have a man crush on Jose Bautista. I drafted him in my fantasy league last year as my backup 3B/RF. That turned out pretty well. He was the main reason I went 21-1 in my head to head league.
    Sammy Sosa Collector


  5. #5
    Senior Member matchpenalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    6,914
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    Love seeing him do so well with all the teams that passed on him and never gave him a chance. Always had nice power, now he has consistent swing and confidence. Plays in homer friendly park. Hope to get a couple of his Gypsy Queen autos.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    Posts
    5,152
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    and the last one was his ONLY opposite field HR of the season.WOW! talk about in the ZONE!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    I figured he was a one hit wonder and was destined for mediocrity but he has impressed the hell out of me again this year
    "I am ALL that is man!!!" -Thorny


  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    Quote Originally Posted by mannyramirezcollec
    This guy is quickly becoming my favorite major leaguer. Ive watched this video like 8 times today, really takes you back to the Sosa/McGwire days



    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12404949
    Dude has unbelievably quick wrists. I'm impressed how he kept a lot of those pitches on the inside corner fair. He also beat a lot of middle-away to away pitches and yanked them. Strong and quick... I don't think anyone would say he's a fluke if they watched this video after last year.

  9. #9
    Senior Member markakis8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    12,079
     carddash
     carddash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    Quote Originally Posted by fonda1119
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyramirezcollec
    This guy is quickly becoming my favorite major leaguer. Ive watched this video like 8 times today, really takes you back to the Sosa/McGwire days



    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12404949
    Dude has unbelievably quick wrists. I'm impressed how he kept a lot of those pitches on the inside corner fair. He also beat a lot of middle-away to away pitches and yanked them. Strong and quick... I don't think anyone would say he's a fluke if they watched this video after last year.
    He reminds me of a right-handed Daryl Strawberry in this regards.

    I've been watching him all season. I'm also impressed at his pitch recognition. I wonder if he'll be able to sustain a .300 BA this year. I'd be very surprised...but you never know.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    Quote Originally Posted by markakis8
    Quote Originally Posted by fonda1119
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyramirezcollec
    This guy is quickly becoming my favorite major leaguer. Ive watched this video like 8 times today, really takes you back to the Sosa/McGwire days



    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12404949
    Dude has unbelievably quick wrists. I'm impressed how he kept a lot of those pitches on the inside corner fair. He also beat a lot of middle-away to away pitches and yanked them. Strong and quick... I don't think anyone would say he's a fluke if they watched this video after last year.
    He reminds me of a right-handed Daryl Strawberry in this regards.

    I've been watching him all season. I'm also impressed at his pitch recognition. I wonder if he'll be able to sustain a .300 BA this year. I'd be very surprised...but you never know.

    Even before his breakout, he had very good plate discipline. I doubt he'll hit .300, figure he'll settle in around .260-.270 when all is said and done but I also wouldn't be surprised if he gets on base at a .400 clip. That's what makes him so devastating, throw him a strike and he turns on it, throw him a ball and he doesn't swing.


    "The rain falls upon the just
    And also on the unjust fellas
    But mostly it falls upon the just
    Cause the unjust have the just's umbrellas"
    -Cormac McCarthy

  11. #11
    Senior Member G $MONEY$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    woot woot


  12. #12
    Senior Member JEBJJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Jersey- Near Philly
    Posts
    2,274
     JEBJJA29
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    You have to question that he took something based that he was been kicked around since he started in the minor leagues on 2001. Also 16 hrs his career high before last year. It's not like he didn't get his "chance"...

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    Quote Originally Posted by braden
    Quote Originally Posted by markakis8
    Quote Originally Posted by fonda1119
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyramirezcollec
    This guy is quickly becoming my favorite major leaguer. Ive watched this video like 8 times today, really takes you back to the Sosa/McGwire days



    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12404949
    Dude has unbelievably quick wrists. I'm impressed how he kept a lot of those pitches on the inside corner fair. He also beat a lot of middle-away to away pitches and yanked them. Strong and quick... I don't think anyone would say he's a fluke if they watched this video after last year.
    He reminds me of a right-handed Daryl Strawberry in this regards.

    I've been watching him all season. I'm also impressed at his pitch recognition. I wonder if he'll be able to sustain a .300 BA this year. I'd be very surprised...but you never know.
    I like the comparison to Strawberry.

    Even before his breakout, he had very good plate discipline. I doubt he'll hit .300, figure he'll settle in around .260-.270 when all is said and done but I also wouldn't be surprised if he gets on base at a .400 clip. That's what makes him so devastating, throw him a strike and he turns on it, throw him a ball and he doesn't swing.
    He hits too many fly balls to hit .300. He'd have to sustain an unusually high BABIP (his career BABIP is .272). But I'm guessing that with the season he had last year and how he's swinging the bat this year that his OBP will be over .400. Pitchers will have to start pitching around him.

    What needs to be noted is that he doesn't need to hit .300 by any stretch of the imagination to be an MVP type player.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    6,776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    Quote Originally Posted by fonda1119
    I don't think anyone would say he's a fluke if they watched this video after last year.
    They said Brady Anderson was the read deal too. Then the following year he proved he wasnt.
    Bautista is proving he can keep it going.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

    Quote Originally Posted by JEBJJA
    You have to question that he took something based that he was been kicked around since he started in the minor leagues on 2001. Also 16 hrs his career high before last year. It's not like he didn't get his "chance"...

    Actually, you can make the case that he never really did get a chance. Bautista spent the 2004 season in the Majors as a Rule V draftee. He should have been developing in the minors. Instead, he bounced around four different teams and had less than 100 Plate Appearances. He then missed almost all of 2005 with injuries and had just 31 Plate Appearances. Essentially 2 missed seasons at ages 23 and 24. Incredibly important years of development.

    2006 and 2007 were full time season with Pittsburgh where he put up OPS+ of 94 and 96. Essentially a slightly below average player. 2008 saw him split time between PIT and TOR where he again was a slightly below average player (91 OPS+)
    2009 was his first full year with the Jays and he bounced in and out of the lineup before he finally became a full-time player towards the end of the season which nicely coincides with his documented swing adjustment.

    In 2009 Bautista hit 10 of his 13 HRs in the last month. During a series in NY, Cito Gaston and Dwayne Murphy (hitting coach) both picked up on a slight hitch in Bautista's swing preparation. He had long been showing excellent power to left but was always hooking the ball foul. Gaston and Murphy tweaked his load and essentially made him a split second earlier for the pitch. After that he hit 8 HRs in the final 18 games.


    I know we've all become jaded because of the past couple of decades. But really, is it a logical explanation that Bautista began taking steroids in September of 2009 and instantly became the best power hitter in MLB? And hasn't been caught? Or does a strange and debilitating career path, combined with a well documented adjustment (it was big news in Toronto during that final month of 2009) make more sense? Isn't the only reason to suspect steroids because others did it before him? I'm not saying he isn't (nothing surprises me anymore) but I truly don't think he is and there really isn't a single shred of evidence to support otherwise.


    "The rain falls upon the just
    And also on the unjust fellas
    But mostly it falls upon the just
    Cause the unjust have the just's umbrellas"
    -Cormac McCarthy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •