Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anybody second guessing Jose Bautista's season last year was

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
a fluke?

dude just hit 2 bombs off David Price and almost hit for the cycle yesterday....

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
mannyramirezcollec said:
This guy is quickly becoming my favorite major leaguer. Ive watched this video like 8 times today, really takes you back to the Sosa/McGwire days

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12404949

Awesome video. I like that the last one was his only opposite field shot all year. And number 53 was just a moonshot. Great video to watch!

And btw, glad I picked him up for my fantasy team this year :cool:

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
I have a man crush on Jose Bautista. I drafted him in my fantasy league last year as my backup 3B/RF. That turned out pretty well. He was the main reason I went 21-1 in my head to head league.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Love seeing him do so well with all the teams that passed on him and never gave him a chance. Always had nice power, now he has consistent swing and confidence. Plays in homer friendly park. Hope to get a couple of his Gypsy Queen autos.

fonda1119

Apr 5, 2010
mannyramirezcollec said:
This guy is quickly becoming my favorite major leaguer. Ive watched this video like 8 times today, really takes you back to the Sosa/McGwire days

Dude has unbelievably quick wrists. I'm impressed how he kept a lot of those pitches on the inside corner fair. He also beat a lot of middle-away to away pitches and yanked them. Strong and quick... I don't think anyone would say he's a fluke if they watched this video after last year.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
fonda1119 said:
mannyramirezcollec said:

Dude has unbelievably quick wrists. I'm impressed how he kept a lot of those pitches on the inside corner fair. He also beat a lot of middle-away to away pitches and yanked them. Strong and quick... I don't think anyone would say he's a fluke if they watched this video after last year.

He reminds me of a right-handed Daryl Strawberry in this regards.

I've been watching him all season. I'm also impressed at his pitch recognition. I wonder if he'll be able to sustain a .300 BA this year. I'd be very surprised...but you never know.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:
fonda1119 said:
mannyramirezcollec said:

I've been watching him all season. I'm also impressed at his pitch recognition. I wonder if he'll be able to sustain a .300 BA this year. I'd be very surprised...but you never know.

Even before his breakout, he had very good plate discipline. I doubt he'll hit .300, figure he'll settle in around .260-.270 when all is said and done but I also wouldn't be surprised if he gets on base at a .400 clip. That's what makes him so devastating, throw him a strike and he turns on it, throw him a ball and he doesn't swing.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
You have to question that he took something based that he was been kicked around since he started in the minor leagues on 2001. Also 16 hrs his career high before last year. It's not like he didn't get his "chance"...

fonda1119

Apr 5, 2010
braden said:
markakis8 said:
fonda1119 said:
mannyramirezcollec said:

I like the comparison to Strawberry.

Even before his breakout, he had very good plate discipline. I doubt he'll hit .300, figure he'll settle in around .260-.270 when all is said and done but I also wouldn't be surprised if he gets on base at a .400 clip. That's what makes him so devastating, throw him a strike and he turns on it, throw him a ball and he doesn't swing.

He hits too many fly balls to hit .300. He'd have to sustain an unusually high BABIP (his career BABIP is .272). But I'm guessing that with the season he had last year and how he's swinging the bat this year that his OBP will be over .400. Pitchers will have to start pitching around him.

What needs to be noted is that he doesn't need to hit .300 by any stretch of the imagination to be an MVP type player.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
fonda1119 said:
I don't think anyone would say he's a fluke if they watched this video after last year.

They said Brady Anderson was the read deal too. Then the following year he proved he wasnt.
Bautista is proving he can keep it going.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
JEBJJA said:
You have to question that he took something based that he was been kicked around since he started in the minor leagues on 2001. Also 16 hrs his career high before last year. It's not like he didn't get his "chance"...

Actually, you can make the case that he never really did get a chance. Bautista spent the 2004 season in the Majors as a Rule V draftee. He should have been developing in the minors. Instead, he bounced around four different teams and had less than 100 Plate Appearances. He then missed almost all of 2005 with injuries and had just 31 Plate Appearances. Essentially 2 missed seasons at ages 23 and 24. Incredibly important years of development.

2006 and 2007 were full time season with Pittsburgh where he put up OPS+ of 94 and 96. Essentially a slightly below average player. 2008 saw him split time between PIT and TOR where he again was a slightly below average player (91 OPS+)
2009 was his first full year with the Jays and he bounced in and out of the lineup before he finally became a full-time player towards the end of the season which nicely coincides with his documented swing adjustment.

In 2009 Bautista hit 10 of his 13 HRs in the last month. During a series in NY, Cito Gaston and Dwayne Murphy (hitting coach) both picked up on a slight hitch in Bautista's swing preparation. He had long been showing excellent power to left but was always hooking the ball foul. Gaston and Murphy tweaked his load and essentially made him a split second earlier for the pitch. After that he hit 8 HRs in the final 18 games.

I know we've all become jaded because of the past couple of decades. But really, is it a logical explanation that Bautista began taking steroids in September of 2009 and instantly became the best power hitter in MLB? And hasn't been caught? Or does a strange and debilitating career path, combined with a well documented adjustment (it was big news in Toronto during that final month of 2009) make more sense? Isn't the only reason to suspect steroids because others did it before him? I'm not saying he isn't (nothing surprises me anymore) but I truly don't think he is and there really isn't a single shred of evidence to support otherwise.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
JEBJJA said:

sigh... ::facepalm::

No, no you don't. Do your research on Bautista before you make an accusation like this. You really think they are going to test Manny Ramirez twice and suspend him 100 games and just let a guy like Jose Bautista pass with no testing?

Some people like Bautista have all the raw talent to put up numbers like he did last year and just can't put 2+2 together. Fortunately for him, he came across a hitting coach that changed his swing and approach that produced these monstrous results.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
chashawk said:
just playing devil's advocate here, but there plenty of things that don't show up on MLB's joke of a testing program

ok, play devil's advocate - but show proof.

can you please provide proof as to how you know certain substances that would enhance a player's strength or ability to play the game at an elite level..."don't show up on MLB's joke of a testing program"

if there is proof, i'll concede. i really don't think with what is going on with Bonds and Clemens right now that MLB would want to gamble with another conspiracy down the road.

if in fact bautista is using a substance that has him dropping bombs at an incredible rate and it is undetected, it won't stay covered up forever.

the spotlight is on him, he was the MLB leader in home runs last year, im sure people are digging to find out if there is any foul play going on.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I'm not saying that Bautista is on anything, but as I recall, there is not an effective test for HGH and most of the "high-tech" synthetic stuff.

Members online