Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Milb Performances - 4/25

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
shayscards79 said:
bricewaynebisel said:
shayscards79 said:
Big shocker, Matzek can't throw strikes. Four walks in two inning along with five runs.

This is getting a tad bit old. Still not overly happy about him being at Modesto.

The Cal league is never kind to pitchers. But like you, I'm getting tired of it too. At least Wheeler is managing in San Jose.

Have no idea where you guys' are from, and this isn't directed at either of you in particular, but I am so sick of this, overemphasizing the effect of California League Baseball. Sure the air is fairly thin in California esp up the coast and the winds do swirl from time to time particularly in high desert and lancaster, but the California League has nothing to do with Matzek throwing strikes and in some cases its similar to other teams sending their pitchers to high class A teams that have freezing weather right now. Really Rancho Chocmonga is no different than Anaheim and Lake Elsinore is no different than San Diego. If you guys are going to go that far some of the PCL locations are worse (New Mexico, Las Vegas) I am rooting for Matzek; and i'd like to apologize about the rant; but the California League doesn't affect everything. I just hate that arguement.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
The CAL does not affect pitchers, but it does affect hitters' performances.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
stevezimmer22 said:
shayscards79 said:
bricewaynebisel said:
shayscards79 said:
Big shocker, Matzek can't throw strikes. Four walks in two inning along with five runs.

This is getting a tad bit old. Still not overly happy about him being at Modesto.

The Cal league is never kind to pitchers. But like you, I'm getting tired of it too. At least Wheeler is managing in San Jose.

Have no idea where you guys' are from, and this isn't directed at either of you in particular, but I am so sick of this, overemphasizing the effect of California League Baseball. Sure the air is fairly thin in California esp up the coast and the winds do swirl from time to time particularly in high desert and lancaster, but the California League has nothing to do with Matzek throwing strikes and in some cases its similar to other teams sending their pitchers to high class A teams that have freezing weather right now. Really Rancho Chocmonga is no different than Anaheim and Lake Elsinore is no different than San Diego. If you guys are going to go that far some of the PCL locations are worse (New Mexico, Las Vegas) I am rooting for Matzek; and i'd like to apologize about the rant; but the California League doesn't affect everything. I just hate that arguement.

I agree 100 percent with you that the Cal League hasn't nothing to do with him throwing or not throwing strikes. I mean, he walked plenty of batters while pitching for Asheville. I'm rooting for him too, I have enough of his stuff, I just don't think pitching for Modesto helps his cause any.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Jaypers said:
The CAL does not affect pitchers' performances, but it does affect hitters'.

I get what you are saying, but if it affects hitters(as in helps them), it has to affect pitchers, too.

With that said, it doesn't affect throwing strikes, which seems to be the argument.

bricewaynebisel

Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
In no way do I think that the Cal League "physically" affects someone's ability to throw strikes I do believe that it affects pitchers to an extent. With the noted effect on hitter's in the league, I find it hard to believe that pitcher's do not suffer at times from mental difficulties, as nearly every park in the league is an extreme hitters park. This will change the way pitchers attack hitters, etc. As well, anytime a league experiences such upward fluctuations in hitting statistics, it is a given that pitching statistics will suffer as a result. Does this have somewhat of an effect on pitchers either way, yes, I'm a firm believer that it does. My point is that for someone like Matzek, who obviously already has mechanical difficulties, I just don't feel that sending him to the Cal League roughly 80 innings into his pro career is the smartest decision on the part of a farm director.

bricewaynebisel

Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
stevezimmer22 said:
I just have been to so many California League games, that I strongly believe that the "Cal League effect" is one of the most overrated theories in baseball.

As a Rockies fan, I know how you feel there. However, I really can't argue with the numbers the Bubba Bell's of the world have put up in that league. I think it has as much to do with the wind, etc. as anything. I just feel that a lot of pitcher's struggle mentally due to the perceived (or actual) extreme disparities in hitting stats in this league versus others.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
If anything, the CAL league (if it is indeed a hitter's paradise) would affect a pitchers BABIP because of more homers and more carried hits. You could stretch it and say it also affects average against and earned runs if a hitter's paradise is what it really is.

But balls and strikes? No. Come on. It's a ball or it's a strike no matter where you go.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
aminors said:
But balls and strikes? No. Come on. It's a ball or it's a strike no matter where you go.

It has more to do with the pitchers wanting to throw strikes. If you make a good pitch and the batter hits a regular fly ball that carries over the 354 foot centerfield fence in Bakersfield, you are more likely to nibble around the plate next time around.

bricewaynebisel

Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
SamHell said:
aminors said:

It has more to do with the pitchers wanting to throw strikes. If you make a good pitch and the batter hits a regular fly ball that carries over the 354 foot centerfield fence in Bakersfield, you are more likely to nibble around the plate next time around.

This. In all actuality, I'm not saying that merely being in the Cal League affects actually throwing balls and strikes, however, I do feel that there is enough at play (reputation of hitter's parks, winds, dimensions, etc.) that it can have a negative effect on a pitcher's mindset.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Machado finishes 2-4, with that 3 run blast. And his BB rate in higher than his SO which is great!!
Real solid start this season for the kid!

And Trent Mummey... :shock:
4-6, 2B, 3B, 5RBI. AMAZING debut for the Keys! Welcome to AA Trent.

The Keys just ***** Winston pitching. They won 14-7 with 15 hits.
Only 2 who didn't get into the beating were Kolodny & Hoes. :?

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
Jaypers said:
BA reports Pomeranz left early with hamstring tightness. :(

The good news is the manager said that the move was precautionary and that Pomeranz does not expect to miss his next start. This has happened to him once before and gone away quickly, so hopefully this turns out to be nothing.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Non-prospect update...

Shawn Tolleson continued his scoreless start to the season with the 1.1 inning save yesterday striking out 3.

On the season, Tolleson has appeared in 8 games with 7 saves and one win. His 7.2 innings pitched have generated a 0.00 ERA, 19 Ks, 4 BBs and 3 hits. So again, he's been on the mound for only 23 outs this season...striking out 19.

I'm guessing he skips High-A and jumps to AA next for the fast track with 4 years of college under his belt.

Call me crazy...but if I had to guess, it's be a 50/50 chance that he throws an inning in Los Angeles this season...assuming he stays healthy.

Members online

Latest posts