Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bumping old threads after a certain time frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I see some old threads getting bumped lately..

Looks like the same thing here that was happening at Beckett..

Since some people hang on to old threads for some reason, wouldn't it benefit the servers if those threads were deleted say after 180 days..

If a thread isn't live (under 180 days old) then why keep them on the server..

I've noticed several times that when I click on "View new posts" I get the "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes." error..

Would that be a way of helping out the server issues?

Just a thought..

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Who cares if people bump old threads. They exist don't they. They are there. If it's there, I don't see the problem with bumping them as long as it's not all the time. It's not like it's an epidemic. Some of the "bumped" threads are only a month or two old, so it seems really nit-picky to worry about it.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Sorry..that would be me. I like to go back and see how things change even in the short amount of time FCB has been around. Then we can add to them and sometimes brings up new dialogue. I never thought that it may cause server issues. I guess I could just start new threads, too. :oops:

G

Pinbreaker said:
I see some old threads getting bumped lately..

Looks like the same thing here that was happening at Beckett..

Since some people hang on to old threads for some reason, wouldn't it benefit the servers if those threads were deleted say after 180 days..

If a thread isn't live (under 180 days old) then why keep them on the server..

I've noticed several times that when I click on "View new posts" I get the "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes." error..

Would that be a way of helping out the server issues?

Just a thought..
I thought that was just that you have to wait 30 seconds between searches that the error shows up

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Yeah, honestly, it makes more sense to continue using an old thread if the info is pertinent. I think the complaint is that old threads get bumped for stupid reasons. Sadly, deleting old threads is bad for the continuity of the site, as a lot of insight and research would get lost over time.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
sportscardtheory said:
Who cares if people bump old threads. They exist don't they. They are there. If it's there, I don't see the problem with bumping them as long as it's not all the time. It's not like it's an epidemic. Some of the "bumped" threads are only a month or two old, so it seems really nit-picky to worry about it.

I have seen some threads that were older than a few months... that's why I said 180 days (6 months)

Since the site has been having search issues lately, I thought this might be a way to alleviate the problem..

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
What if the threads were locked and not deleted? Then if there was more insight into the issue or if follow up was wanted a year later, the original thread could still be referenced in a new thread?

Of course this is all assuming that the bumping of the old threads is causing server issues. If it's not causing any problems with the speed of the server or the site, then I really see no reason to delete or lock old threads.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Like I said above, I think I am to blame. Among some others, I added to a thread that was dead in Nov. of 2008 "What Kind of Player Collector Are You?"...Is that the one causing such grief? Can someone explain how bumping an old thread is a problem? I thought it was interesting, and was interested to see new members add to it, and if veteran members maybe changed their collecting habits. You see, I am just not creative enough to come up with the great threads myself. My last thread, "Oh, Super Sweet 70's Inserts" did not go over too well, and "Hey, I just screwed over my 94 year old neighbor" was already taken...

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
gwynn5453l4u said:
Like I said above, I think I am to blame. Among some others, I added to a thread that was dead in Nov. of 2008 "What Kind of Player Collector Are You?"...Is that the one causing such grief? Can someone explain how bumping an old thread is a problem? I thought it was interesting, and was interested to see new members add to it, and if veteran members maybe changed their collecting habits. You see, I am just not creative enough to come up with the great threads myself. My last thread, "Oh, Super Sweet 70's Inserts" did not go over too well, and "Hey, I just screwed over my 94 year old neighbor" was already taken...
It can be insightful and or funny.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
With Google, old threads are basically cataloged and can do wonders for search engine traffic. FCB has a wealth of knowledge and some amazing insight in it's young life...so keeping all threads (even the long inactive ones) creates a solid database of information for general searching, etc. relating to this hobby.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
gwynn5453l4u said:
Like I said above, I think I am to blame. Among some others, I added to a thread that was dead in Nov. of 2008 "What Kind of Player Collector Are You?"...Is that the one causing such grief? Can someone explain how bumping an old thread is a problem? I thought it was interesting, and was interested to see new members add to it, and if veteran members maybe changed their collecting habits. You see, I am just not creative enough to come up with the great threads myself. My last thread, "Oh, Super Sweet 70's Inserts" did not go over too well, and "Hey, I just screwed [strike:1hgitu1d]over [/strike:1hgitu1d]my 94 year old neighbor" was already taken...

No, I wasn't pointing fingers, I was just wondering since they had this type of issue on the old Beckett site before it crashed. I was hoping that FCB wasn't going to have the same thing happen here..

I've been getting alot of SQL errors lately.. (site down).. So I was just looking for areas they might look..

But at lest with the action you got with your 94 year old neighbor, she was happy as a clam after you left.. :lol:

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
BunchOBull said:
Yeah, honestly, it makes more sense to continue using an old thread if the info is pertinent. I think the complaint is that old threads get bumped for stupid reasons. Sadly, deleting old threads is bad for the continuity of the site, as a lot of insight and research would get lost over time.

However the recent bumps have been for dead topics.

Offender #1 = vwnut

it's annoying, but it isn't the cause of server instability.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
cgilmo said:
BunchOBull said:

However the recent bumps have been for dead topics.

Offender #1 = vwnut

it's annoying, but it isn't the cause of server instability.

I recently googled a Stouffer's pop up card and a thread came up on FCB. I didn't know the year. There was information I could add to the thread, so I did. I didn't realize until after I posted that the thread was a few months old.

So. . . i'm responsible for one.

Sorry.

THat being said, it renewed the conversation in that thread...

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
With a site like this,"necroing" threads is often entertaining and sometimes even valuable. I'd say most old threads that get revived are for some actual reason, new info, etc.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
smapdi said:
With a site like this,"necroing" threads is often entertaining and sometimes even valuable. I'd say most old threads that get revived are for some actual reason, new info, etc.

+1 How many times does someone say "blah blah blah WILL ALWAYS HAPPEN"?

Resurrecting these old threads can help contain unrealistic hype.

Members online