Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Just found another reason I cannot stand the Cubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
A.J. Ellis' first career steal attempt was a memorable one, at least for the Chicago Cubs.

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said Saturday a missed sign led to Ellis' dash for second during the series opener that irked Cubs manager Mike Quade.

Los Angeles was leading 8-1 on Friday when the catcher attempted to steal second with pitcher Chad Billingsley at the plate in the top of the fifth inning. Geovany Soto threw him out, but Quade was still peeved after the Cubs' 12-2 loss at Wrigley Field.

Mattingly and Quade talked before Saturday's game, and the Cubs manager called his counterpart "a class guy."

Mattingly, in his first year as Dodgers manager, confirmed it was a mix-up but defended a running play in that situation.

"Long story short, we missed the sign," Mattingly said. "We weren't trying to run there. Definitely weren't going to run A.J. We weren't doing it but it is Wrigley and the other day we did give up eight runs in the ninth. We're trying to win a game, but we weren't running there."

Los Angeles surrendered eight runs in the ninth inning of a 10-1 loss against Atlanta on Tuesday.

Mattingly said third base coach Tim Wallach mistakenly thought Mattingly wanted a hit-and-run and gave the sign for such a play. Wallach, realizing his mistake, then waved the play off, but Ellis, who had seen the initial sign, didn't see the wave-off.

Quade apparently also hasn't forgotten about Carlos Gomez stealing second and third with Milwaukee leading Chicago 5-0 in the eighth inning April 9. Gomez went on to score the Brewers' final run in a 6-0 victory.

"I do think that I probably need to get a copy of the Milwaukee and L.A. unwritten rules books, I think, too," Quade said, unprompted, Friday. "I don't know if they missed a sign or not sure if it was a hit-and-run or something. I've got to brush up on my unwritten rule things."

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/m ... id=6414885

I always had a beef with coaches and managers whining about "running up" the score. It's baseball! History has shown us that being ahead by x amount of runs means absolutely nothing. Maybe Quade needs to figure out how to stop players from stealing bases opposed to whining when they are getting their butts whipped!

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Really?

You don't understand where it is coming from? Every manager in all of the big leagues would have been PEEVED about that. Not just Mike Quade. Quade truly is a class act and has been in professional baseball for 20 years. I am sure he is more of an expert on baseball's unwritten rules than you or me. Do I find it to be a huge deal? No, but in college, someone would have worn one up in the earhole for that. It is what it is.

skrip

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Haha, of course I get two Cubs fans to post. To be honest, I don't need another reason to not like the Cubs. It's more of a general thing that irks with me with Baseball's so called "unwritten rules".

I know we all have different beliefs, but I feel is if you can keep scoring, go ahead and do so. I don't think a team can just surrender and not try to score runs and then then next team comes up to bat and outscores the original team that tried to follow the unwritten rules and then wins the game. And to me, if someone were to break up a no hitter by bunting themselves on, that's fine with me. It's about finding a way to win, not worrying about hurting someone's feelings.

Members online

Latest posts