Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sad Day for the Pirates Family

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Thanks for the post. I never knew Kenny's name, but the sound of "Lemonadehere!" is a staple that will definitely be missed.

In a perfect world, the Bucs have would have recorded his voice, and they will replay it, like they do with organist Vince Lascheid.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
Kenny was also known as the Cotton Candy man at the Civic Arena and the CONSOL Energy Center. I didn't see him at PNC Park on Saturday night. the last time I got to see him or hear him yell "Cotton Candy" was at Game 7 of the Pens Lightning series 2 weeks ago. he was a Pittsburgh legend and will definitely be missed.

RIP Mr. Geidel
CottonCandyMan.jpg

Its nice to see every stadium has its "characters". RIP

The Mets have had a beer vendor with a DEEP voice who yells "Beer man, beer man here!" for ages.
25+ years ago when I was in high school a buddy of mine and I went to a game. He comes down the aisle
yelling his catch phrase and my buddy yells to him 2 and pulls out his wallet. He comes over and asks him for ID.
(We were probably juniors in high school). My buddy looks in his wallet and says he must of left it in the car. He
looks at us and knew exactly what was up. In his deepest and loudest voice he yells "no beer for the rookies!" Every inning he would walk our section and start yelling "Beer man, beer man here, NO BEER FOR THE ROOKIES" and point us out. I was so embarrassed. Fast forward to a few years ago and I'm at a game with the family and who do I hear? That voice that brings back so many memories... I laughed out loud and told my wife remember the "Beer man" story, that's him!!!! That guy has to be there 40+ years!!
Funny how you remember a vendor and not the game.... ;)

Roberto_Clemente_21

Mar 24, 2011
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
Its nice to see every stadium has its "characters". RIP

The Mets have had a beer vendor with a DEEP voice who yells "Beer man, beer man here!" for ages.
25+ years ago when I was in high school a buddy of mine and I went to a game. He comes down the aisle
yelling his catch phrase and my buddy yells to him 2 and pulls out his wallet. He comes over and asks him for ID.
(We were probably juniors in high school). My buddy looks in his wallet and says he must of left it in the car. He
looks at us and knew exactly what was up. In his deepest and loudest voice he yells "no beer for the rookies!" Every inning he would walk our section and start yelling "Beer man, beer man here, NO BEER FOR THE ROOKIES" and point us out. I was so embarrassed. Fast forward to a few years ago and I'm at a game with the family and who do I hear? That voice that brings back so many memories... I laughed out loud and told my wife remember the "Beer man" story, that's him!!!! That guy has to be there 40+ years!!
Funny how you remember a vendor and not the game.... ;)

Nice story!

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Sadly the 'tuba man' who played outside of every Mariner, Seahawk and Sonic game was beaten to death a few years ago by some teenagers. They actually have a statue of him now outside of Safeco.

Roberto_Clemente_21

Mar 24, 2011
frzg said:
Sadly the 'tuba man' who played outside of every Mariner, Seahawk and Sonic game was beaten to death a few years ago by some teenagers. They actually have a statue of him now outside of Safeco.

That isn't cool...

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
the Penguins just posted a nice writeup on their website about Kenny...

penguins.com said:
"Cotton Candy Man" Passes Away
Tuesday, 05.10.2011 / 2:43 PM / News
Pittsburgh Penguins

Ken Geidel, who served and entertained Penguins fans and Pittsburgh sports fans for years with his unique style as a concession vendor, has passed away.

Geidel was known as the “Pittsburgh Cotton Candy Man” and “Pittsburgh Lemonade Man” and had a following on Facebook and the Internet.

“Ken was an exemplary employee who was with us for a long time,” said Michael McDonald, district manager for Aramark. “He certainly was one of the ‘characters’ that added to the sporting event experience and had quite a following among the Pittsburgh fan base. He will be missed.”

“Ken provided great service to our fans and was part of the fabric of a Penguins game at Mellon Arena or CONSOL Energy Center,” said David Morehouse, CEO and president of the Penguins. “The history of Pittsburgh sports is unique because it includes not just great players and coaches, but also memorable vendors and ushers. Ken was part of that history. We extend our deepest sympathy to his family.”

Members online

Latest posts