Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

13-year old Little Leaguer dies after HBP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
That is horrible. When I coached I encouraged parents to consider the protective shirts that covered the heart for their kids. I can't imagine what the family is going through.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Jeff N. said:
I recommend heart guards every season to my kids. My son wears one.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Little League institute a mandatory heart guard policy immediately, or at least by the LLWS. Certainly the league in which this happened will adopt it, and other leagues (including high schools and maybe even NCAA) will follow.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
I hadn't heard of the heart protective gear, but if you have the funds, it seems like a no brainer.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Jeff N. said:
Mudcatsfan said:
I hadn't heard of the heart protective gear, but if you have the funds, it seems like a no brainer.

They're $25-30.

If you can afford $50 cleats, a $20 cup, a $200 bat, and $150+ league fees, you can afford a $25-30 heart guard.
I have never heard of that before either but this just goes to show why it should be standard gear. Very unfortunate and sad. Gotta wonder how hard that opposing pitcher was throwing.

Jeff N. said:
I recommend heart guards every season to my kids. My son wears one.

Absolutely!

I pressure every parent on my team to make sure their child wears one.
Cups are mandatory but the heart guards are optional. :?:
They make ones that are already built into the sports shirt.

I MAKE my son wear it. Like anything else, if you start them early, and they know nothing else, they dont know the difference...

My prayers go out to the family ......

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
What a dreadful thing to happen. I'm not coaching this year but when I get to the older levels, heart guards will be mandatorty for my team if they aren't with the league.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Sad story. It's weird to think someone could die from baseball. I didn't know there was such a thing as a heart guard. I remember back when I was playing (80s) a kid got hit in the face, and it knocked all his front teeth out. About half the mom's on the two teams involved pulled their kids out of LL after that. You just never know. It's a risk of sports.

Members online

Latest posts