User Tag List

Page 79 of 82 FirstFirst ... 29697576777879808182 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1219

Thread: Will Clark Collectors Thread

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always been a fan of Will Clark. As a kid all of these guys seemed like superheroes, but Clark stood out a little more for me and a buddy of mine.

In 1991, my friend and I were 11 years old. Baseball was pretty much all we thought about. My mom had a friend/co-worker (I will just call him Henry), who was as crazy about baseball as we were and he would come and play baseball, coach us bit and even talk baseball cards with us from time to time. He also told us something that had us drooling all over our baseball gloves. He happened to be very good friends with a certain San Francisco Giants player.....no, not The Thrill.

Bud Black!

I think 1991 was Bud's first year with the Giants.

One day that spring/summer, Henry came to work and gave my mom a phone number. He said that Bud Black was on a road trip and gave him the number to the hotel that the team was staying at so that we could call and talk to him. This was HUGE. A real major leaguer wanted to talk to us!

So we gathered up our 3 phones, with as much phone cord running through the house as I have ever seen. We were able to extend the downstairs phone to the kitchen, and the upstairs phone to the bottom of the stairs. Life was tough when you didn't have cordless phones! So we used the instructions that Bud gave us to reach him and I doubt me and my buddy took a breath as my mom talked to the front desk attendant.

"Bud Blacks room? Sure, I will connect you" - Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring..... nothing, Damn. Bud wasn't there. Talk about being crushed.

I'm sure my mom was seeing the despair on our faces and I remember her saying "Well, the whole team is at the hotel; Are there any other players on the Giants you guys might want to talk to?" Well, duh. Will Clark, or Kevin Mitchell! Back to the phones...

Front desk lady - "I don't see a Kevin Mitchell....longest pause ever.....but Mr. Clark is, here you go" - Ring, ring, ri...Hello?

Bam! Will Clark! On the phone. With 2 kids from North Dakota! My mom introduced herself and how we ended up calling him. Then she introduced both of us. I don't remember everything that we talked about, but home runs, fastballs, World Series, and earthquakes were some of the big topics. He literally talked to us for 20 full minutes, and with my mom for another 5-10 mins afterwards. She couldn't believe how much time he gave us. Will Clark talked to us like we were long lost buddies, or kids of his own. It was incredible. Today I still find it hard to believe. My best Major League encounter ever, and it was over the phone.

So after the call I decided to try and write him and see if he would autograph a card through the mail for me. I wrote him a letter thanking him for the chat, I'm sure I included a few questions I missed out on asking him, and sent him a baseball card to sign. Waited a couple weeks before I became too anxious, then a month, then 2 months. Oh well, at least we got to talk to him.

Then a couple weeks after I gave up on getting the card back:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clark 001.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	427.6 KB 
ID:	66796

No, not the most interesting card in the world, but I'm sure I didn't want to risk losing one of my others or something. Will ended up returning my exact card and hand writing a 2 page letter back to me and my mom. My mom still has the letter.

Sorry for the length of this post. Looks to be a few Will Clark guys here, so hopefully you enjoy my little experience with him.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome story for sure! Thanks for sharing.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow onions...I love that!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onions View Post
    Front desk lady - "I don't see a Kevin Mitchell....longest pause ever.....but Mr. Clark is, here you go" - Ring, ring, ri...Hello?
    Awesome! I just read it to my wife and we both loved it. Great story!

theplasticman
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story!
    COMC listings: theplasticman

dj.miller
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, that's really cool you got a chance to talk to him as kids! I'm a few years older but did some TTM stuff around the same time and he was a gracious signer TTM. I have probably 6 or 7 cards signed by Will that I still have in a binder in storage. Can't get rid of those memories.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice wig!

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post

Nice wig!
    Ha! I love that!
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I smiled at this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1038.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	68241

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had the money I'd go for it.

Ryan
    Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely a slam dunk for resellers
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

theplasticman
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent deal! LOL.

If you're on Facebook, check out the Clark group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/738290106337400/
    COMC listings: theplasticman

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Here were mine from the day. Glad to add a few. New app update seems to not like the direction of the camera pics. <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />

I don't collect plates, in fact I had sold the couple I had , but I paid $60 for the pair so I was bored enough to pull trigger.

Ryan

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice pickups, Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by RStadlerASU22 View Post
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Here were mine from the day. Glad to add a few. New app update seems to not like the direction of the camera pics. <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />

I don't collect plates, in fact I had sold the couple I had , but I paid $60 for the pair so I was bored enough to pull trigger.

Ryan

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joel , I am just trying to get back into things. Organizing , cleaning up etc. The last year has kinda sucked. I'll be in touch.

Ryan