Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Matt Kemp... Why no hype?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
Ted Williams didn't win the MVP while hitting .406. Not everyone that may seem to deserve it wins it.

Edit...Also, The late start times (for the East Coast) do make a difference. That is why the NFL moved up Monday Night Football.

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
2nd in Avg, tied for 1st in HR and 1st in RBI. Dodgers COULD have NLCY and NL MVP!!!!!! Now if McCourt will sell the team so we can get away from all the non-sense and just play ball.

manningmurphyfan

Aug 17, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
is he willing to play RF for the Yankees?

Let's hope not. He could play center in Atlanta :D.

He has put together an amazing season and people are right that there'd be more love if he wasn't on the west coast.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Are we talking national sports scene hype, or card hype? I don't think they are necessarily the same thing.

Why no card hype is easy. He's too far removed from his rookie year. It's almost like you have to have the momentum carry over immediately from being a blue chip prospect to being an instant superstar. If there's any lag the player's peak will always be right before he hits the majors or during his first season. The hobby has devolved (in my opinion) into who is the next superstar and too easily ignores current superstars. It's like once a guy breaks out it's Christmas morning after the presents are unwrapped and it seems anticlimactic.

I've never really understood national sports scene hype, so I have nothing to offer there. Obviously it would help if he were on a big-market east coast contender and the media were hyping him.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Rickzcards said:
James52411 said:
alexs64 said:
James52411 said:
Dodgers no good.

Thanks genius.

The question only required an easy, simple answer. If the Dodgers were in contention, he'd be getting a lot more hype for NL MVP. The Dodgers are crappy and their organization is a dumpster fire, as evidenced by the fact that their two best known moments this year were a near murder in the Dodger Stadium parking lot and their owner looting all the team assets and being forced to sell the team. I'll accept your apology now that I've explained my brilliant, succinct answer.
~So by your "brilliant" line of thought, Kershaw has no chance at the CY either. Interesting that a Cubs fan thinks that they have any room to talk about another team being crappy.~

It would be nice to see Kemp get the MVP since he is the most deserving but the voters, like most on this board, only give credit to those that play on the east coast.

This just goes back to that eternal debate about the word "valuable" in most valuable player. Some voters think how valuable could a guy be if his team is lucky to be .500? Comparing it to Cy Young is tough because I believe the Cy Young is for the "best" pitching performance, not the "most valuable." Despite that, I think some voters still weigh team success in their voting. Obviously not impossible as Greinke and Felix have won the last two in the AL. I think it's been a long time since a MVP was named from a loser.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Kemps stats are unreal, but he has done it all in basically meaningless games. The real MVP crushed a 3 run bomb in the bottom of the 8th of a tie game last night to help the Brewers clinch their first division title in 29 years. Kemp is putting up his numbers in games with no pressure that no one cares about because they mean nothing.

Don't get me wrong Kemp is a beast, but there is something to say about Braun who continues to come up huge for his team in games that matter. That is the definition of the Most Valuable Player.

Members online

Latest posts