Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Adrian Beltre Future HOFer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
I think Rolen has been a better player than Beltre.

But let's say we get smarter and better about evaluating defense and there is a general consensus that Beltre is the best defensive third basemen ever to play the game. Then, it becomes pretty hard to keep him out considering his offense has been above average in total and at an all star level for several years.

I think Brett is a bad comparison but if his defense is really as good as some metrics show it to be, he is a much better comparison for Brooks. Not much better than average with the bat, but legendary with the glove.

I immediately thought "no way" when I saw this topic, but I think it is at least in the realm of possibilities.

Even if he is the best defensive 3B ever though , there is no way he should be in with Rolen and Santo on the outside.

And Biggio is a stone cold lock. Bill James has been quoted as saying he was the best player in baseball over a span of a couple of years in the late 90's. Position matters people.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I have to clear something up. I think Biggio is a Hall of Famer, the only point that I was making is that there are a lot of people who fel that he isnt.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
craftysouthpaw said:

But let's say we get smarter and better about evaluating defense and there is a general consensus that Beltre is the best defensive third basemen ever to play the game. Then, it becomes pretty hard to keep him out considering his offense has been above average in total and at an all star level for several years.

I think Brett is a bad comparison but if his defense is really as good as some metrics show it to be, he is a much better comparison for Brooks. Not much better than average with the bat, but legendary with the glove.

I immediately thought "no way" when I saw this topic, but I think it is at least in the realm of possibilities.

Even if he is the best defensive 3B ever though , there is no way he should be in with Rolen and Santo on the outside.

And Biggio is a stone cold lock. Bill James has been quoted as saying he was the best player in baseball over a span of a couple of years in the late 90's. Position matters people.

Agreed on Rolen but he hasn't done much since he turned 30. At 36 he is most likely done. Here are his HR totals starting with his age 30 year.

He was a monster in his 20s though. Too bad he couldn't stay healthy.

pujols5hof

Aug 9, 2011
i only stated that they might have a problem. personally, i think neither should make it. biggio will make it, if not 1st, 2nd ballot. beltre remains to be seen.
all of the steroid laden teams that biggio was a part of couldnt make it over that hump and take it all. what did he really contribute to?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
craftysouthpaw said:

Santo should have ben in a long tim ago. It is a damn shame that if he dos get in, he wont be able to celebrate/be a part of it. Very underrated player.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Without the 3000 no chance in hell. We'll see if he can continue to rake. He's having a solid season right now, but not the superb season like he had last year. If he keeps up with just a solid season he'll still fall short of the hall in my eyes. You need to be a consistent dominant player your entire career and that is something Beltre has yet to do.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Thought I would bump this as Beltre is having a very solid year after the recent hot streak and it was one year ago when this was posted.

This years stats:

.320/.356/.559
30 HR
89 RBI
82 Runs

Career Totals

.279/.330/.474
2199 Hits
340 HR
1202 RBI
1076 Runs
115 SB

In the last six months, also picked up his 3rd gold glove, 3rd All-Star appearance, hit 5 HR in the post-season and earned and a World Series ring.

He definitely still has a long way to go, but the last 12 months have been a big step in the right direction.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Thought I would bump this as Beltre is having a very solid year after the recent hot streak and it was one year ago when this was posted.

This years stats:

.320/.356/.559
30 HR
89 RBI
82 Runs

Career Totals

.279/.330/.474
2199 Hits
340 HR
1202 RBI
1076 Runs
115 SB

In the last six months, also picked up his 3rd gold glove, 3rd All-Star appearance, hit 5 HR in the post-season and earned and a World Series ring.

He definitely still has a long way to go, but the last 12 months have been a big step in the right direction.

Did David Freese only have a magical Game 6 in my world? LOL

Anyway, I still think his Mariner years and some of his mediocre Dodger years hurt him b/c he wasn't POPULAR - even after his MVP-caliber year in LA. My original opinion still stands, he needs to get to 3,000 hits to get in. I think he very well could get to 3,000 hits and will have 400 HR and being on a dominant team like the Rangers in the last part of his career certainly isn't going to hurt.

I could see him sneaking in on the later ballots, if he finishes with 400 HR and like 2,800 hits or something.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
SOOOOO. A player has a .250 life time avg. Plays 20 years gets 150 hits a year and ends up with 3000 hits. That player is not a effing HOFer! Also A player gets a hit streak of 60 games in a row., the player bats .220 in that 60 games. Now that would just suck would it not. Numbers in a factor of how they were obtained is what counts, and not just hanging around to pad them looking like a fool. AKA Pete Rose!

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
SOOOOO. A player has a .250 life time avg. Plays 20 years gets 150 hits a year and ends up with 3000 hits. That player is not a effing HOFer! Also A player gets a hit streak of 60 games in a row., the player bats .220 in that 60 games. Now that would just suck would it not. Numbers in a factor of how they were obtained is what counts, and not just hanging around to pad them looking like a fool. AKA Pete Rose!

who is hitting .250? Beltre is borderline .280 right now, that's a huge difference. And also will most likely have 400 HR when all is said and done. AND is possibly the best defensive 3rd baseman in the past 10-12 years

you can't just throw out ridiculous numbers to make him seem like a worse ballplayer than he is just to support your opinion that he doesn't belong in the HOF.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
It really makes me wonder what was going on with him in Seattle those 5 years. And don't give me "hitting in Safeco" crap b/c ARod, Olerud, Ichiro, Sexson, and Edgar had no problems hitting for high average or power or BOTH while playing half of their games in Seattle.

And there was actually one year (his first in SEA) where his home numbers were BETTER.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
who is hitting .250? Beltre is borderline .280 right now, that's a huge difference. And also will most likely have 400 HR when all is said and done. AND is possibly the best defensive 3rd baseman in the past 10-12 years

you can't just throw out ridiculous numbers to make him seem like a worse ballplayer than he is just to support your opinion that he doesn't belong in the HOF.
You did not get my point. I was just stating in general.He is young yet and has a shot. Players that pad numbers and play well past their time just to pad numbers is just making them look foolish. Look at Mays last 2-3 years, He hung around for the paycheck. It was very sad to watch him play. Now look at Chipper Jones. Last year he got hurt and was to retire, he knew he was better than that and came back. He is having a very good solid year. Class act! Now he say's he might come back next year. I hope he just retires and does not come back and look awful. As for Rolen? I think he is hanging around for the pay check just retire already.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
You did not get my point. I was just stating in general.He is young yet and has a shot. Players that pad numbers and play well past their time just to pad numbers is just making them look foolish. Look at Mays last 2-3 years, He hung around for the paycheck. It was very sad to watch him play. Now look at Chipper Jones. Last year he got hurt and was to retire, he knew he was better than that and came back. He is having a very good solid year. Class act! Now he say's he might come back next year. I hope he just retires and does not come back and look awful. As for Rolen? I think he is hanging around for the pay check just retire already.

Ok, I didn't get your point and after all that, I still don't. Sorry.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I found this pretty interesting, if not weird:

Most Similar by Ages
View Similar Player Links in Pop-up
Hold mouse over #'s to see names

1. Eddie Mathews (942) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  2. Ron Santo (954) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  3. Ron Santo (947) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  4. Ron Santo (976) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  5. Ron Santo (945) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  6. Ron Santo (965) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  7. Ron Santo (946) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  8. Ron Santo (930) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  9. Ron Santo (933) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  10. Ron Santo (918) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  11. Ruben Sierra (916) 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  12. Ron Santo (909) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  13. Ron Santo (918) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Odd to see see the same player on top of another player's list year after year.

This is also interesting:
Similar Batters through 32

Ron Santo (918) *
Cal Ripken (857) *
Del Ennis (855)
Shawn Green (849)
Carl Yastrzemski (842) *
Aramis Ramirez (837)
Scott Rolen (836)
Al Kaline (836) *
Brooks Robinson (833) *
Orlando Cepeda (833) *

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Did David Freese only have a magical Game 6 in my world? LOL

Anyway, I still think his Mariner years and some of his mediocre Dodger years hurt him b/c he wasn't POPULAR - even after his MVP-caliber year in LA. My original opinion still stands, he needs to get to 3,000 hits to get in. I think he very well could get to 3,000 hits and will have 400 HR and being on a dominant team like the Rangers in the last part of his career certainly isn't going to hurt.

I could see him sneaking in on the later ballots, if he finishes with 400 HR and like 2,800 hits or something.

Doh, not sure why I thought the Rangers had won?

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky

Have you looked at Scott Rolen's numbers post all star break? He is batting .314 with a .408 OBP. He isn't just hanging around for the paycheck. He is a major contributor on a team that is in first place. He has always been a class act so I don't know why you would say he is just hanging around for the paycheck. And Scott Rolen is the best defensive 3rd baseman of the last 10-12 years, not Adrian Beltre.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Have you looked at Scott Rolen's numbers post all star break? He is batting .314 with a .408 OBP. He isn't just hanging around for the paycheck. He is a major contributor on a team that is in first place. He has always been a class act so I don't know why you would say he is just hanging around for the paycheck. And Scott Rolen is the best defensive 3rd baseman of the last 10-12 years, not Adrian Beltre.
2012 stats .244 6 hr 33 rbi in 79 games. Show me the money!

Latest posts