Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Could Juan Pierre be the 1st 3,000 hit member not in HOF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I doubt he gets to 3,000, but he's 3 hits away from 2,000.

I'm intrigued by all your thoughts. If by some small miracle he gets to 3,000 (b/c it IS possible), would he be the first 3,000 hit member not to make the HOF?

No All-Star appearances....

He does have a better OPS then Ozzie Smith though :lol:

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
He is at 2K now, if he can get to 3K then I would put him in, but I don't think he is going to get to 3K.

Kevin

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
markakis8 said:
ThoseBackPages said:

He'll get in eventually.

I doubt that. Lied in front of congress saying he never touched the stuff, then a year or so later tested positive for PED's. He's not only been accused, but proven that he used PED's. Of all those guys, I think Bonds, Clemens, and maybe McGwire get in. Thats it

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
wolfmanalfredo said:
markakis8 said:
ThoseBackPages said:

He'll get in eventually.

I doubt that. Lied in front of congress saying he never touched the stuff, then a year or so later tested positive for PED's. He's not only been accused, but proven that he used PED's. Of all those guys, I think Bonds, Clemens, and maybe McGwire get in. Thats it

So why would the voters put Bonds and Clemens - just as much as liars as Palmiero - in and not Raffy? Once one known PED user is in, everyone that has HOF #'s will be in. Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Sosa, Raffy...all of them.

They are not going to keep out one of only 4 members of the 3,000 hit/500 HR club if other PED users are in.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
^^Agree, Palmeiro separated himself by getting both 3000 AND 500, so if any of them get in, he's definitely in.

I don't think Pierre gets to 3000, but there's no way a guy like that can be a Hall of Famer with such a mediocre career. At no time has he ever been considered anything more than an average regular.

There is something to be said about reaching milestone numbers, but at some point, the HOF voters are going to have to come to their senses and realize they can't put in guys solely based on reaching a milestone if all other aspects of their career were completely average and they were never one of the elite players of the game for even a single season.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
There are plenty of average guys in the hall right now, especially recently. Guys don't play as long as they once did,
3K hits 300 wins and 500 home runs mean even more than they do now because guys have to do it quicker. Sure there
is always the guy who plays 25 years and gets to it, maybe even that is impressive in itself, but a guy who has hit
these milestones, without drugs, should get in. It is obvious that this is the way the hall is now. There was a time
when it was sacred, it isn't anymore.

Kevin

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
markakis8 said:
wolfmanalfredo said:
markakis8 said:
ThoseBackPages said:

He'll get in eventually.

So why would the voters put Bonds and Clemens - just as much as liars as Palmiero - in and not Raffy? Once one known PED user is in, everyone that has HOF #'s will be in. Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Sosa, Raffy...all of them.

They are not going to keep out one of only 4 members of the 3,000 hit/500 HR club if other PED users are in.

Sosa and Raffy won't be in. He physically failed a drug test, the others are strongly alleged to have used PEDs. With Palmeiro there is proof, and Sosa with all the antics. Corked bat, not being able to speak english at the hearing, obvious PED user. I still think with all that, sosa has a better chance then palmeiro because he didn't physically fail a test. Alot of writers are very stubborn on this, and I'm willing to bet that Bonds and Clemens are in after many years, and possibly McGwire. Thats it

I once apon a time had a Palmeiro PC, and have never disliked the guy. Even with those numbers, I don't put him in if I'm a writer because he physically failed a test, in turn proving he lied under oath.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Once he loses his speed he is done. He'a only 25/38 in SB this year, so he has actually hurt his team trying to steal bases. Very, very doubtful that he reaches 3000 hits.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
^^Agree, Palmeiro separated himself by getting both 3000 AND 500, so if any of them get in, he's definitely in.

I don't think Pierre gets to 3000, but there's no way a guy like that can be a Hall of Famer with such a mediocre career. At no time has he ever been considered anything more than an average regular.

There is something to be said about reaching milestone numbers, but at some point, the HOF voters are going to have to come to their senses and realize they can't put in guys solely based on reaching a milestone if all other aspects of their career were completely average and they were never one of the elite players of the game for even a single season.

if Palmeiro was anything, its the bolded part.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
To the OP's point, I think that if he reached 3000 hits (which as the OP stated, is very unlikely, but theoretically feasible) he would eventually get in, and it would be the thing that creates enough of an uproar to get the voters to actually use their heads. He has never really been a very valuable player, canceling out much, if not all of the value he gained stealing bases, by getting caught so often.

What I think some are saying is that the reason 3000 hits has been a useful milestone is because it is simply close to impossible to do without being a really good player for a long time, and that is the reason Pierre will not make it.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
If he gets 3K I think he could get in eventually - better than a 50/50 chance, but only if he does it before age 40 or so. But there's maybe a 15% chance of him getting to 3K.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
ThoseBackPages said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

An average season of .288 average, 33 homers, 105 RBI, and a 1:1 BB to K ratio is far above average. Maybe not elite, especially during the steroid era when statistics were inflated around the league, but those are All Star caliber numbers.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
ThoseBackPages said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":32ewxk36]^^Agree, Palmeiro separated himself by getting both 3000 AND 500, so if any of them get in, he's definitely in.

An average season of .288 average, 33 homers, 105 RBI, and a 1:1 BB to K ratio is far above average. Maybe not elite, especially during the steroid era when statistics were inflated around the league, but those are All Star caliber numbers.[/quote:32ewxk36]

4 times in 20 years

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
To the OP's point, I think that if he reached 3000 hits (which as the OP stated, is very unlikely, but theoretically feasible) he would eventually get in, and it would be the thing that creates enough of an uproar to get the voters to actually use their heads. He has never really been a very valuable player, canceling out much, if not all of the value he gained stealing bases, by getting caught so often.

What I think some are saying is that the reason 3000 hits has been a useful milestone is because it is simply close to impossible to do without being a really good player for a long time, and that is the reason Pierre will not make it.

Thank you for well thought out post.

Members online

Latest posts