Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1993 Triple Play Previews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Looks like the regular Triple Play issues are oversaturated to me. Even the pictures of Griffey and Grace on the examples shown show it. That would explain the borders too.

Lemieux66

Apr 28, 2014
So, how much are these worth? According to Worthpoint a few have sold on eBay over the years, but I don't have a subscription.

A Sandberg ($499.99 OBO), Karros ($299.99 OBO), and two Van Slykes ($299.99 OBO each) were listed on eBay yesterday.

I've been able to pick up a Griffey, Ripken, Van Slyke, and Fielder for around $1 each.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
My understanding is that card shops got a 12-card pack wrapped only in a clear cellophane wrapper. The card numbers are not different and the cards are not marked PREVIEW on them, as other year Triple Play Previews were. These are so hard to distinguish that hardly anyone believes they are previews and different than the normal card. They're not worth anywhere near what that seller is asking, as it's too difficult to sell them.

The only thing I would pay good money for is a set still in the original clear wrapper. I'd love to find one just to prove that was how they were distributed.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
FWIW, I got my copy of the Alomar promo just by buying lots and singles of the 93 Triple Play cards when I could find them cheap. Eventually a promo appeared in the mix.

Also, to me the fuzzed out logo on the back is definitely the best way to distinguish the promos. On regular cards the logo can vary in brightness from very clear to very dim, but the text is always sharp. The fuzzy text shown in the scan above is definitely different than any regular card.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Hey look what I found today! I may have been misinformed that these were distributed in 12 card clear cello wrappers. This dealer tells me Donruss sent 3-card sample packs to dealers in the shown cardboard holder. These are all "Preview" cards. s-l1600.jpg

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Hey look what I found today! I may have been misinformed that these were distributed in 12 card clear cello wrappers. This dealer tells me Donruss sent 3-card sample packs to dealers in the shown cardboard holder. These are all "Preview" cards. View attachment 114332

I really wish now that I'd kept better records of how stuff we received at the shop in the early 90s was mailed. That sleeve looks familiar but I don't remember if it came with Triple Play previews or not. I have this vague recollection of getting some of the 1993 Donruss Previews in a clear cello wrapper in that sleeve but that could be wrong too.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Nice find!

Trivia about how cards were distributed is neat info. And I dig header cards and packaging too.

Hey look what I found today! I may have been misinformed that these were distributed in 12 card clear cello wrappers. This dealer tells me Donruss sent 3-card sample packs to dealers in the shown cardboard holder. These are all "Preview" cards. View attachment 114332

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
As far as I can tell, there is quite a variation with brightness of the Triple Play logo on back of the pack-issued cards. Some are really bright, and others you can barely see unless you tilt the card just right, in good light. But with all the pack-issued cards this text has sharp edges, regardless of its brightness. With the promos the Triple Play text is fuzzy. I haven't seen enough promos to say whether the text varies much in brightness, but it's fuzzed out and noticeably thicker than the pack-issued cards.

@gracecollector @goobmcnasty hey guys, to be clear, in the high res scans where you cannot see "Triple Play" at all; those are promo cards? In other words, on the base card even in high res scan the "Triple Play" SHOULD come through?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Got the promo pack in hand and here are a couple of observations.

The sleeve on back has a 1992 copyright line. This would be in line for year 1993 previews, as the manufacturer would be getting them out late 1992, early 1993. The sleeve itself is very thin and can only hold 3 cards. So if indeed this is how the Previews were distributed, they were not distributed as whole sets. There were 12 preview cards and you'd have to have 4 of the 3-card sleeves to make a set. Seems to support the rarity of these cards.

triple play folder.jpg

The three cards I received all have the "very blurry" Triple Play logos on back, and are very lightly printed. Below I've scanned the Karros Preview card and a Brady Andnerson regular issue card. Like many have stated before and other pictures in this thread show, the Triple Play logo on Preview cards is quite blurry and several points wide, while regular issue cards have sharp logos. Look at the word PLAY - on promo cards the holes in the P and the A are almost fully filled with ink. On the regular cards, the P and A have clearly defined space in the holes. Scans below were at exact same settings.

Preview
karros_tripleplay_promo.jpg

Regular Issue
anderson_tripleplay.jpg

And finally, there's something to the Previews that when you tilt the card back and forth, the Triple Play logos on back catch the light and become more visible at certain angles. The regular cards don't to it.

Members online

Latest posts