Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Official 1991 Upper Deck Hologram Variations Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
BTW, I don't think there's such a thing as a "reverse" hologram variation. I've looked again at previous posts, but it seems that variation is only identified by one other member. That reverse pattern is just confusion over the normal holo pattern, which on normal cards is repeated in up/down/backward/forward orientations.

Last edited:

bensie

Feb 12, 2020
Hey DonnieBaseball, you still looking for Mattingly variations? I have a comic ball variation that's pretty sharp.

miked211

Dec 20, 2009
Just a bump on an old thread with a question. Still looking for a Dale Murphy Comic ball. I have bought several player specific lots netting some 92 holos, and hockey but no comic ball. Does anyone have any info on a good source for these…packs vs complete sets etc? Thanks for any suggestions

bensie

Feb 12, 2020
Just a bump on an old thread with a question. Still looking for a Dale Murphy Comic ball. I have bought several player specific lots netting some 92 holos, and hockey but no comic ball. Does anyone have any info on a good source for these…packs vs complete sets etc? Thanks for any suggestions
Hey Mike,

Sorry for not getting back to you. I never checked back in this thread. I think I have a Dale Murphy. You interested?

Nowhereman317

Nov 15, 2020
Indy

I found a Murphy Hockey but no Comic yet.

Sets are pretty good if you can find open ones to check. Factory sets will have a block of 100 with a variations. I've mostly found hockey in the sets I believe. I've picked up cheap sets. I usually pull the rookies and let the shop keep them for a better price on the set. If they don't have variations that is. I went to a shop that had like 5 5000ct boxes of them and searched. Still haven't found any 92 Holos. I did find my first 91 comic ball. They haven't put those on TCDB yet. I haven't felt like dealing with the bitching when I bring it up. They have 91 with the carrots in the background. Tougher to spot than the 1990 version. The carrots don't pop out as easily and they don't have the gold hue. I cant get a good scan, but this Nolan Ryan is actually 1991 comic ball not 1990. I do believe. Quarter bins have been pretty good too. I found a booth at The National that was selling mostly memorabilia, but had one little box of Ozzie cards sitting back on a shelf. 10/12 of the Ozzies had the 1990 holo.

Nowhereman317

Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Thanks a lot - if you find any on my list let me know. And that list I posted above is a pretty complete list of holo variations, as far as I know. 4 variations for 1991, one for 1993, and one for 1994. Now I'm not sure all cards from those years have all of those variations, but I know at least some exist. Oddly enough I haven't come across any reference of holo variations on 1992 UD cards.

I have both 91 Alomar with the 1990 baseball holos
Alomar traders

Full list of variations

Last edited:

miked211

Dec 20, 2009
I finally found a comic ball. With no LCS close I have just been buying lots of 91 UD Murphy’s online. My last buy of 50, I finally got some hits. 5 hockey, 3 comic balls and 1 92. I know I should not be so excited about such a cheap junk wax card, but it was awesome! Now I just need to find something to do with about 600 91 UD Murphy’s. Maybe I could wallpaper a bathroom. Haha

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
Question. Did the 89 UD Baseball have these variations?
I'm attempting to put together the 89 set. Also interested in variations of the Dodger World Series cards of the set-Gibson HR, Hershiser, etc

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I'm in search of quite a few Ryno variations. I've had no luck in finding them the good old fashioned way (checking every card on COMC).

miked211

Dec 20, 2009
The last lot of 91 UD I bought was on eBay from seller ladydisney. Don’t know if all the player lots have that much hologram variety but the Murphy one did.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I've never heard of any 89 UD hologram variations, at least in terms of being printed with other hologram foils. That's probably because, I think, UD only had one holo foil available to print with at that time.

But I have seen several instances where the 89 UD holograms were not fully printed. For example, only half the diamond-shaped hologram was printed. Or even where no hologram foil made it onto the card at all.

I also have a few examples where the design of the 1989 UD hologram foil varies between cards. On most cards the hologram design contains text with a baseball pattern in the background. However on some cards the baseball background is very faint, or even nonexistent. I think that's the same hologram pattern though, just with printing differences that minimize the baseball patterns.

Question. Did the 89 UD Baseball have these variations?
I'm attempting to put together the 89 set. Also interested in variations of the Dodger World Series cards of the set-Gibson HR, Hershiser, etc

Members online