Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

LEAF files counterclaims against the Topps Company....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Leaf Trading Cards, LLC has filed numerous counterclaims against The Topps Company, Inc. seeking a declaratory judgment, actual damages, punitive damages, attorneys’ fees, and costs. These claims were filed along with an answer to Topps’ complaint in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York regarding the marketing and sale of Leaf’s 2011 “Best of Baseball” product.

Brian Gray, Leaf’s President stated that “Leaf respects the intellectual property rights of its competitors, but Topps’ lawsuit is a wrongful attempt to exercise monopolistic control in the trading card industry. Leaf is entitled to advertise products by displaying images of products that we legally acquired and are entitled to sell. We are confident that the court will vindicate our business practices.”

A link to an independent legal analysis of the claims can be found below:
http://www.cardboardconnection.com/this-means-war-leaf-files-countersuit-against-topps

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
BG -

I am glad someone is standing up to the Topps monopoly. I must say, I am not a big fan of the Leaf offerings, but I am glad someone has the guts to try to get back into the baseball market.

Do you foresee Leaf challenging the Topps MLB baseball card market? Collectors want competition and are dying for someone else to step into the ring.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
It'll be interesting. I haven't read Brian's countersuit, but we discussed things via phone shortly after Topps filed suit and this doesn't surprise me. I don't think that the baseball card copyright is dead, as the writer alluded, but I certainly think this is fair use.

I look forward to watching how this plays out. ANyone with a link to Brian's counterclaim, please feel free to link it.

Since I'm NOT getting paid $300/hr to do HIS work, I can't say I'm going to jump on it anytime soon.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
So does the money you spend on Lawyers come out of the content budget for future releases?

Kevin

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:
So does the money you spend on Lawyers come out of the content budget for future releases?

Kevin

Nope, I have made enough money I dont mind giving some back to stand up to a bully. A piranha may be small, but I wouldnt advise poking him with a stick. BG

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Leaf said:
schmidtfan20 said:

Kevin

Nope, I have made enough money I dont mind giving some back to stand up to a bully. A piranha may be small, but I wouldnt advise poking him with a stick. BG
This whole thing seems to be a waste of money for parties involved.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
hofmichael said:
Leaf said:
schmidtfan20 said:

Kevin

Topps, being the block bully, started this nonsense.

I don't see Brian having any other choice. If I headed Leaf I would have done the same thing.

Good for you Brian and Good Luck to you. Be sure and keep us posted.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
hail2thevictors said:
BG-this is off topic, but when do you plan to release some scans of the new metal baseball product?

Thursday Hopefully... BG

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Leaf said:
hail2thevictors said:
BG-this is off topic, but when do you plan to release some scans of the new metal baseball product?

Thursday Hopefully... BG

Looking forward to seeing these as well as Valiant as we get closer to the release date. Good luck with the suit.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Randy Shields said:
hofmichael said:
Leaf said:
schmidtfan20 said:

Kevin

Topps, being the block bully, started this nonsense.

I don't see Brian having any other choice. If I headed Leaf I would have done the same thing.

Good for you Brian and Good Luck to you. Be sure and keep us posted.
I didn't say brian was wrong for countering the suit.All I said was that it sounds like an expensive pissing match.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
WoundedDuck said:
Leaf said:
hail2thevictors said:

Thursday Hopefully... BG

Looking forward to seeing these as well as Valiant as we get closer to the release date. Good luck with the suit.

Do you reference the Leaf baseball product that look like this Basketball product? Will the next lawsuit by either Panini or Topps be over design infringement?
$(KGrHqUOKjUE5RbbyUGlBOclmk8fTg~~60_12.JPG

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
TwinGnats said:
Leaf countersues for the right to steal other peoples property. Not surprised coming from a third class run company.

taken back ...
I appreciate your opinion.
Thanks for adding to the discussion...
BG

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Leaf said:
TwinGnats said:
Leaf countersues for the right to steal other peoples property. Not surprised coming from a third class run company.

TwinGnats,
I will show great restraint and leave it at the fact that you obviously either cannot read or are too lazy to read the case.
BG

P.s.- The Twins suck and its not surprising they are your team.. Birds of a feather and all... (ok, so I am not good at showing restraint).

I usually support what you do but how did you decide that posting a response like this was a good idea?

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
HPC said:
Leaf said:
TwinGnats said:

TwinGnats,
I will show great restraint and leave it at the fact that you obviously either cannot read or are too lazy to read the case.
BG

P.s.- The Twins suck and its not surprising they are your team.. Birds of a feather and all... (ok, so I am not good at showing restraint).

I usually support what you do but how did you decide that posting a response like this was a good idea?

I was thinking the SAME thing. Well not how I support what he does, but how did he think deciding to post that was a good idea

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Leaf said:
TwinGnats said:

TwinGnats,
BG

I lost a tad bit of respect for you.

Members online

Latest posts