Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards that used to be HUGE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
$(KGrHqEOKjkE5bvRygq+BOh6)Hl0Mw~~_12.JPG

Sold 12 of these for $150 each during 3 weeks of 2007 season and they were best offers too!

rbadger

Aug 10, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
JEA2880 said:
cwc2002 said:
2007 Chris Davis rookie autos. These used to sell for >$120 at its peak and now they barely get like $10 or so.
Picture743.jpg

Actually, it peaked at $150. That's what I sold mine for! :cool:

And I sold the version /50 for $399.95 :shock:

Nice! I sold many of his chromes for $10/card and his blue refractors for $225! Still have a few left though :(

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Casebusters said:
$(KGrHqEOKjkE5bvRygq+BOh6)Hl0Mw~~_12.JPG

Sold 12 of these for $150 each during 3 weeks of 2005 season! and they were best offers too!

Paul, I call shenanigans! :^)

Yeah, I sold a few at $50. I remember buying blasters at walmart and putting them on ebay, then returning them if they didn't sell. :^) HAHA!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Travis Lee. Along with Jose Cruz, Jr., he was the stud-muffin of 1997. And, for once, I actually had good luck pulling his cards from boxes and packs. I hit several of his Topps Stars RC, and I pulled 2 of this card
$%28KGrHqMOKpQE24KNySt8BN3E+n!ZL!~~_12.JPG

from a couple boxes of 1997 SP Top Prospects. It was priced at $120 at the time, and I turned down a trade for a Leaf Signature Frank Thomas autograph or something for one. I am not sure what I was thinking, but I guess I knew I could hold out for more. That 'more' turned out to be 49 cents (not my auction).

I stopped collecting in 1983, came back in 1991. In the past few years I've been filling in some big 80s cards I missed, thankfully for rock-bottom prices. I got a 1986 Jose Canseco rookie for $5, I think (this was when he was in his comeback with the Rays and doing comparatively well, still overpaid), 1983 TTr Strawberry, things like that. I still want 1984 Fleer Doc Gooden. I'm so glad I missed out on the rookie craze of the 80s, but they are still some great cards.

Jan 14, 2009
Great topic, like someone else mentioned, most of my non-player collection is made up this kind of stuff:

6235065184_979cb1c7c4.jpg

1991 Stadium Club Frank Thomas was as big as it got that year. Still my favorite "early" Thomas card. I remember paying $5 a pack of this stuff and my best pull was a different home run king, Karl "Tuffy" Rhodes.

1992 ToppsGold Brien Taylor Auto, inserted in factory sets, was untouchable for me that year. In fact, I hardly even saw them for sale until they were $10 BV cards.

1993 Stadium Club First Day Issue Piazza was probably the most expensive and desirable card that year until Topps released Finest. 300 card set, 1 per box odds, this is another card that you just never saw for sale, at least in Los Angeles at the time.

1995 Select Artist Proofs were like the second coming of 1993 Finest Refractors. The major stars were booking for a few hundred each. Supposed print run of under 300 copies was incredibly scarce at the time and in a set full of career minor leaguers and commons.

1995 Zenith Rookie Roll Call dufex inserts were extremely popular and Hideo Nomo was the big hit of 1995 products. Still a great-looking set.

1997 Leaf Fractal Die-Cuts were pretty hot at the shop I worked at. Jose Cruz' gold SP die-cut was among the biggest hits of the multi-tiered set.

Some honorable mentions:

1996 Bowman Shane Spencer....on fire for a short spell in 1998. I was buying these at $0.25 ea from Burbank and selling them for $15-20.

1995 Select Certified Terrell Davis Mirror Gold. Pretty sure this was a $250 card for a while. Can be found for $15 now, a steal considering his career and accomplishments.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
boomo said:
SeattleSports said:
Every single bowman chrome auto that sold for $50 or more at release (aside from Pujols, Longoria and possibly a few others)

exactly.
yet everyone keeps ripping, grading and getting slammed years later.
it is a 100% fact that 95% of all minor league players will fail to ever reach
the majors, and the 5% that do will have very limited careers.
baseball is a very hard game

So you're saying 100% of minor league players will fail or have limited careers. haha

trolea1234

Aug 7, 2008
Sheffield rookies when he made a run at the triple crown. Same with Derek lee. Justice leaf rookie. Magglio 98 leaf rookies an stars, j.d. Drew. Andruw jones bowmans best, nomar topps traded,

gr5

Apr 30, 2011
MacK said:
boomo said:
SeattleSports said:
Every single bowman chrome auto that sold for $50 or more at release (aside from Pujols, Longoria and possibly a few others)

exactly.
yet everyone keeps ripping, grading and getting slammed years later.
it is a 100% fact that 95% of all minor league players will fail to ever reach
the majors, and the 5% that do will have very limited careers.
baseball is a very hard game

So you're saying 100% of minor league players will fail or have limited careers. haha

No it's very simple/true to what he is saying

95% will fail and the 5% that make it won't produce killer numbers for a long time. Of corse there will be your brauns,longorias, tulowitzkis but for every guy that hit it big I can name 50 that didn't.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Yes but the syllogism he presents is that 100% (95+5) of minor leaguers will have either no or limited major league careers. Obviously that's not true. It's also true that the ratio of scrubs to stars is very high, but not infinite.

I remember the 1995 Select Artist Proofs craze. They were the new 1993 Finest Refractors. Beckett would have them listed at super-high prices, like $300 for Cal Ripken and Ken Griffey, $250 for the next tier, etc. A couple years ago I thought about collecting the set after buying a Frank Thomas for just a few bucks. As it happened, a complete set was listed on ebay at that moment, and it sold for $750. Couldn't afford that, but decided I'd rather skip it than chase down all the singles which would take years. I still keep an eye out for the stars, though. It was a sweet-looking set.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
JVC said:
As many of you know, I love to dig through bargain bins for hidden treasure. Well, after going to a show today I decided to start a thread showcasing cards that used to sell for tons back in the day but maybe deserve to be in bargain bins today. Feel free to post any of your finds. Here's the first installment of my hunt:

$1 - These used to sell for $100+ and still book at $100!
guzman.jpg

$1 for the Culpepper and 10 cents for the Carr - I'm pretty sure the Culpepper used to be a $100 card and the Carr was probably up there as he was the #1 pick in the 2002 draft. Probably a $50+ card back in 2002.
Football.jpg

Love that Carr card! I still collect him and it is really easy to get deals nowadays. :cool:

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
smapdi said:
I remember the 1995 Select Artist Proofs craze. They were the new 1993 Finest Refractors. Beckett would have them listed at super-high prices, like $300 for Cal Ripken and Ken Griffey, $250 for the next tier, etc. A couple years ago I thought about collecting the set after buying a Frank Thomas for just a few bucks. As it happened, a complete set was listed on ebay at that moment, and it sold for $750. Couldn't afford that, but decided I'd rather skip it than chase down all the singles which would take years. I still keep an eye out for the stars, though. It was a sweet-looking set.

Back in 1995 I pulled a Garret Anderson AP; not even the regular base, it was the Show Time subset card. Brought it to a show, had a dealer offer me $20 and I turned him down. Then the bottom fell out and I was stuck with a worthless card. Think I might have sold it on Yahoo auctions for $1 in 2000.

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
The following Norte Dame QBs

Brady Quinn. Cards started out high. Then got a few chance to start and he went downhill.

Jimmy Claussen. There's a reason he got passed over and went in the 2nd. It took one game Cam Newton to outclass Claussen. Yet his cards still sold a big high when he got drafted

Members online

Latest posts