Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This is how I'm gonna roll...........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terry

Aug 11, 2008
The Swamp
K, so this is really weird writing this but it's something I really want. I've decided at this point I'm REALLY going to narrow my collecting down to a couple players. Being Mike Green, Jack Johnson, Nick Markakis and the occasional Osterman & Finch.... I'm really going to lay everything else off for now.

The reason? As I stated in another thread I've been playing pickup street hockey with adults as of late and can keep up with them, and do everything they can. They've played in real games/leagues before, I haven't and I'm just as good as they are. I really think I have something special and I want to see just how far I can get. People can say what they want, go ahead and tell me I can't do it because I'm 17 and have never touched a puck on ice before. I don't care. I can skate on ice and I can do everything else just as good as anyone could in the street hockey world..... I just have yet to put the 2 together. I believe in myself that I can do it and thats all that matters. My plan as of now is to finish up with my home schooling, get a job so I can get enough saved up to be able to pay for everything myself. Keep going on Sunday's to play, and start going skating again at least once a week over the summer. If all goes well I plan to sign up for a league in the fall, and if I do well to sign up for Craig Laughlin's Network Hockey Program at some point next year. If I make it in to this program and do well there's a pretty damn good chance I'll get into a college with a hockey scholarship.

dchurg

Aug 11, 2008
When you start, and are just playing in pick-up leagues, all that matters is how well you skate. The best skaters are the best players. The best skaters start when they are 6 years old. Good luck. Also have you been using a roller hockey puck (witht the wheels)..if easier so your shot is going to be a TON worse with a real puck, it is way heavier.. however if you have quick hands your stick handling will be much better because it is so much to move the puck on ice...

Thats all I can really say becuase I play goalie :mrgreen:

Terry

Aug 11, 2008
The Swamp
I have no doubt my hands are quick. My slapshot sucks balls, but my wrist shot is pretty deadly. And yes we do use a roller hockey puck. I've been playing 5 weeks now. First 2 weeks we played with a ball, then some more serious people showed up and we started using a puck. I had no problems the first week we used it, netting 5 goals the 2nd week I got none but was mostly on D and was passing more than shooting. And the last time I played I had 2 goals and 4 assists.

G

Terry, glad to see your chasing a puck now, instead of chasing women 10-15 years old the you. :D
Good Luck on the hockey thing I have a friend that played in high school and in college. He still plays now
and he is in his 40's and surprisingly he has all his teeth. LOL It is a physical demanding sport so you will need to
work-out and even hit the weight room.

Terry

Aug 11, 2008
The Swamp
Thanks guys... I've been wanting to take video but it's kinda hard out there. I've tried to get my bro to take some video but he doesn't want too. I'll see if I can get anything done tomorrow.

Terry

Aug 11, 2008
The Swamp
Autismic said:
just pay a homeless guy $2 to tape ya...just tie him to a pole so he doesn't run with the camera

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have some pics from 2 weeks ago so I'll post them much later when I get back from the Caps game.

G

Terry said:
I had 3 goals/5 assists today... and broke my Bryan Muir stick as well. That hurt. :oops: :oops:
It is better then your ankle. Because that would hurt even more. :D

Terry

Aug 11, 2008
The Swamp
True Rich, true. lol

So yall wanted pics??

n697230160_5709975_8994.jpg

n697230160_5709979_237.jpg

n697230160_5709980_535.jpg

n697230160_5709981_840.jpg

and today's damage. :(

n697230160_5880533_4303.jpg

n697230160_5880534_4599.jpg

n697230160_5880535_4882.jpg

n697230160_5880539_6091.jpg

n697230160_5880536_5174.jpg

n697230160_5880540_6387.jpg

:(

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
So do you even know how to roller blade? All the street hockey Ive played you have to be on blades, you cant just run around. Definitly get the skating thing down before you go on the ice with others who know what they are doing. If you dont do that they'll make short work of you. Best of luck in whatever you do.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Hi Terry, i wish you the best of luck of trying to catch on playing in an ice Hockey league. I love street Hockey as well, grew up playing it in Canada, 4 hours a day, every day, no joke. Played with many kids my age and much older and i was always one of the best. That was on the cement though, as soon as i played with these guys on ice, at the local lagoon or rink, i was one of the worst, due to not being able to skate as good as the others. I was always one of the worst skaters, never really could learn how to stop :oops: . Hopefully, you will be able to catch on skating, as fast as you caught on playing street Hockey. I recommend taking many power skating lessons as soon as possible.

-Bilko

Terry

Aug 11, 2008
The Swamp
jrinne said:
So do you even know how to roller blade? All the street hockey Ive played you have to be on blades, you cant just run around. Definitly get the skating thing down before you go on the ice with others who know what they are doing. If you dont do that they'll make short work of you. Best of luck in whatever you do.

Honestly when I first went there I wasn't expecting it to be an actual rink looking court, or that is for roller hockey. Nobody seems to give a crap that I don't blade and theres a bunch of other people that don't as well.

Autismic said:
it looks like you are playing against old men and kids..if your stick looks like that you are doing something wrong...where are the blades man?

It's a wide range of people. Theres only a couple kids (me 17, my brother 10ish lol, some other kid thats maybe 11 and another whos like 9-10) and the rest range from being 18-40 something and of those people I'd say 75% of them are between 18-29.

G $MONEY$ said:
Hi Terry, i wish you the best of luck of trying to catch on playing in an ice Hockey league. I love street Hockey as well, grew up playing it in Canada, 4 hours a day, every day, no joke. Played with many kids my age and much older and i was always one of the best. That was on the cement though, as soon as i played with these guys on ice, at the local lagoon or rink, i was one of the worst, due to not being able to skate as good as the others. I was always one of the worst skaters, never really could learn how to stop :oops: . Hopefully, you will be able to catch on skating, as fast as you caught on playing street Hockey. I recommend taking many power skating lessons as soon as possible.

-Bilko

Thanks Bilko.. long time no see man! Glad to see you over here at FCB!

Members online

Latest posts