Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The "Cameo" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I have some trivia cards for Garvey, but the new copies I have seen pop up always come from player collector extorters who start these cards at $2-3 each! The whole games usually run less than $3-5 when you can find them, but again these same sellers have found a niche and tend to buy them up, break them as singles and wait for the cash to roll in. Then want another $3 to ship them!! I guess my dedication isn't as fierce as others.

If I can find them for $4 delivered then I will usually buy them. There have been some listed for more money that I don't have that I have passed on.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I recently bought a collection of complete and incomplete Minor League Yankees sets. I bought it knowing most of the major stars would be missing. It was over 700 cards. Of course the 1981 Nashville Sounds Arby’s set was picked through but it did contain the Team Card which shows a nice cameo of some well-known players and coaches:
Check out the young pictures of:
Don Mattingly
Willie McGee
Otis Nixon
Buck Showalter
Mike Morgan

image_23.jpg

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I recently bought a collection of complete and incomplete Minor League Yankees sets. I bought it knowing most of the major stars would be missing. It was over 700 cards. Of course the 1981 Nashville Sounds Arby’s set was picked through but it did contain the Team Card which shows a nice cameo of some well-known players and coaches:
Check out the young pictures of:
Don Mattingly
Willie McGee
Otis Nixon
Buck Showalter
Mike Morgan

image_23.jpg

Very nice

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
So decided to look thru 1993-1998 Upper Deck and UD Collector's Choice card backs because they are ripe with cameos. Took about 2 hrs. to flip thru just the Chicago Cubs, but glad I did. Found a new Grace that's actually a decent face pic, a blurry Grace, and one other...

The good one:
Jose-Bautista.jpg

The blurry one:
Mike-Morgan.jpg

And I'm not sure if I want to go here, but does a piece of equipment of your player (batting helmet here) count as cameo?
Jim-Bullinger.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
So decided to look thru 1993-1998 Upper Deck and UD Collector's Choice card backs because they are ripe with cameos. Took about 2 hrs. to flip thru just the Chicago Cubs, but glad I did. Found a new Grace that's actually a decent face pic, a blurry Grace, and one other...

The good one:
Jose-Bautista.jpg

The blurry one:
Mike-Morgan.jpg

And I'm not sure if I want to go here, but does a piece of equipment of your player (batting helmet here) count as cameo?
Jim-Bullinger.jpg

Nice to see someone w an advanced collection like you still finding new things like this ! And yes , the helmet counts ;)

Ryan

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana

The good one:
Jose-Bautista.jpg

The blurry one:
Mike-Morgan.jpg

Jim-Bullinger.jpg

Love the equipment card!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Man, I've looked a long time to find my first Don Zimmer cameo card. I originally thought it wouldn't be too hard, that I'd find him on a Joe Torre card or on a Yankees or Red Sox player's card in the background. But no luck. For someone who was in the game for so long, couldn't believe I couldn't find at least one of Zim.

Today I found my first Zim cameo. And with a team he only coached 3rd base for one season. Nice cameo shot though.

Fernando-Valenzuela-Jeffrey-Leonard.jpg

Sweet Bonus! **** 'stache Ryne Sandberg on other side.

Ryne-Sandberg-(Jeffrey-Leonard-Don-Zimmer-16).jpg

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Man, I've looked a long time to find my first Don Zimmer cameo card. I originally thought it wouldn't be too hard, that I'd find him on a Joe Torre card or on a Yankees or Red Sox player's card in the background. But no luck. For someone who was in the game for so long, couldn't believe I couldn't find at least one of Zim.

Today I found my first Zim cameo. And with a team he only coached 3rd base for one season. Nice cameo shot though.

Fernando-Valenzuela-Jeffrey-Leonard.jpg

Sweet Bonus! **** 'stache Ryne Sandberg on other side.

Ryne-Sandberg-(Jeffrey-Leonard-Don-Zimmer-16).jpg

You're not done yet.

PLAYERYearDESCRIPTION
LEONARD,JEFF1988OPC Sticker Variations (Cory Snyder #53/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988OPC Sticker Variations (Fernando Valenzuela #30/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988OPC Sticker Variations (Keith Hernandez #3/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Andres Galaragga #2/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Dale Murphy #18/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Gary Carter #22/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Jeff Leonard #17/Todd Worrell #54 - Alfredo Griffin #169)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Mark Langston #63/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Mark McGwire #36/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Ryne Sandberg #6/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Steve Bedrosian #31/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Tom Henke #64/Jeff Leonard #16)
AA-All Items

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
You're not done yet.

PLAYERYearDESCRIPTION
LEONARD,JEFF1988OPC Sticker Variations (Cory Snyder #53/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988OPC Sticker Variations (Fernando Valenzuela #30/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988OPC Sticker Variations (Keith Hernandez #3/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Andres Galaragga #2/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Dale Murphy #18/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Gary Carter #22/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Jeff Leonard #17/Todd Worrell #54 - Alfredo Griffin #169)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Mark Langston #63/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Mark McGwire #36/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Ryne Sandberg #6/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Steve Bedrosian #31/Jeff Leonard #16)
LEONARD,JEFF1988Topps Sticker Variations (Tom Henke #64/Jeff Leonard #16)
AA-All Items

Thanks for the list, you actually saved me some time. I knew about the back variations from collecting Grace's stickers, but hadn't looked for the others yet except for the Fernando I saw on COMC. I'll track down the others.

Members online