Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Winning the CUP after drafting really high in the Draft??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
I was thinking about this last night after seeing Tyler Seguin score his hat trick on HNIC (Hockey Night In Canada)...

Has a team EVER had a draft pick (Seguin) that was drafted so high (2nd overall) and then that team goes on to win the Stanley Cup that exact same year with that Draft pick in the line up??

Are The Bruins the first team to ever do this with a player drafted either 1st or 2nd overall?

I haven't researched this at all, just thought about it in my head a little bit and the only team i can think of that even came close to this was the Pittsburgh Penguins. In 1990, the Pens drafted Jaromir Jagr 5th overall and then went on to win the Cup.

Can anyone think of any other teams to do this with a really high draft pick???

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
Not sure, Bilko.

However, you have to remember that was originally Toronto's first round pick that the B's got in the Kessel trade, so it wasn't like they were really horrible the year before.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
gonzagacubs said:
Not sure, Bilko.

However, you have to remember that was originally Toronto's first round pick that the B's got in the Kessel trade, so it wasn't like they were really horrible the year before.

Oh i haven't forgotten, lol. Even though i live on the other side of the country from Toronto, i talk with so many Leafs fans on a daily basis that i am reminded of the "Kessel trade" quite often, haha.

I still thought it was pretty neat and i think Boston is the only team to ever do that, ever since the modern Entry Draft became a part of the NHL.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
I can't think of another team that has done this. the Pens and Jagr were the only other team I could think of that came close.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
NBA has had similar stuff. I believe Celtics may have won it or were right in the mix then drafted Reggie Lewis very high.
Spurs were played it right. They were a top contender with David Robinson. He gets hurt early in the next season. Team goes in full tank mode and gets to draft Duncan and we all know titles that followed. They should have never gotten Duncan.

I think back in the original six, Montreal always got first pick of any French Canadian players. So they could reload every year if anybody was coming up.

Members online

No members online now.