Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So, you "Talk the Talk", do you really "Walk the Walk?"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
im talking about sports cards here, not beating the crap outta someone/something.

ive spoken many times about the importance of Collecting FOCUS.
Focus is so damn difficult, but so important as well.

There have been times that ive said that other collectors should collect
this and/or that. there have been times that ive gone a head and taken
my own advice on that subject. Other times, not so much.

i said a couple of years back that it was a great time to buy mid to high
grade HOF Rookies. i've been fortunate enough to accumulate most of them
in the post-war era. i am still looking for the others that i am missing
and that is something that i enjoy "hunting" for.

im also getting a great deal of pleasure out of my George Brett PSA Collection
although it's starting to come to a slow down as the cards that i do not
yet own are not appearing on eBay lately. Then again, this is kind of
expected when you get more and more scratched off your "want list"

ive also been a huge fan of O-Pee-Chee Baseball. i really feel that it is
underloved/appreciated in this hobby of ours. They are really produced in
numbers that are so much lower then their Topps counterpart. of course
there is no proof of what ive said, but i really feel that that is the truth.
with that being said, i have been going back and forth in my mind about
putting a run of the sets together in sheets/albums.

This is where my subject title comes from. ive spouted about it, now will i
go ahead and follow up on it, that is the question

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Over time I've found focus to be extremely important also, its not healthy to buy everything LOL. With that said its also important to be involved with activities other than cards - in order to maintain proper life balance. As we know proper balance leads to better focus, a greater enjoyment of cards... and a greater enjoyment of everything else yada yada yada :)

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
For me, it simply boils down to the distinction between having a "collection" and an "accumulation" of cards. I certainly have things I focus on more than others, and I know that it's not a good idea to throw in 3 of 4 packs of a random product when I just stopped by the shop to buy some toploaders and penny sleeves.

But that's part of what makes it fun to me. There are no rules and I am free to do with my collection as I please. I certainly change the focus up every now and then, and I definitely end up with a lot of cards I know will never have a place in my collection (I'm looking at you, just about every retail pack I've ever purchased.) My collection is a work in progress, and I realize that over the years I have most likely spent more on retail and "junk wax" than I would care to acknowledge, easily enough to buy a single card that would undoubtedly be the cornerstone of my collection.

But I am nowhere close to perfect in any other aspect of life- why would my collection be any different? I am still enjoying the hobby 8 years after being back in. I'm getting better about controlling the impulse buys, but for me, opening packs is a big part of the hobby. Even if I owned every variation of every card in a set, would I want to help a friend open a case of the same product? Ummmm yes I would. A collection cannot live on single ebay buys alone.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
used to collect just miggy, now collect miggy and have added some other collections like bethel johnson, 90s inserts, patriots/redsox/celtics, etc, so not too many collections but more than the one i used to have

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I'd love to do a "mint" 1986 OPC set. I sorta started it 4 years ago. Need to find more boxes. Out of two boxes I found maybe 20 cards good enough for the set.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I've done a pretty good job of "walking the walk" when it comes to my collection.

Completing the Shooty Babitt collection, the signed base Topps Charlie Hough collection, Dick Porter collection, Dorin Dickerson National Treasures singles (yeah, another "nobody" I collect) and vintage Blackhawks stuff.

So far, I've dealt with more finite, smaller chases...and one of these days I'll finish knocking out the '34 Goudey and '33 Tattoo Orbit sets, but with so many other things going on, the little goals keep me moving forward.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
I am and always have been a Topps Base set collector. I have added one or two things here or there, but that is still the majority of my collection. I have put together a 1954 Bowman set and the 2003 Topps 205 Relic and Auto set. I am currently finishing a few sets that got me started collecting back in 1990.

Members online

Latest posts