Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1996 Leaf silver press proofs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
is there anyway to tell these from the base card definitively? I just bought what was supposed to be the PP off Ebay and it looks identical to the base card I have and the other alleged PP I got in a lot I bought months back that also seemed identical to the base card. what is the difference exactly? scans side by side the only way to tell?

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
The silver press proof's definitely "refract" a little. It should be pretty easy to tell the difference. I had a hard time distinguishing between bronze and gold b/c they are surprisingly similar, but silver was fairly different. A quick look on ebay found a couple of decent examples:

$(KGrHqMOKi0E31R-o1GzBOEW5I05tg~~_3.JPG

!B(-6v)Q!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DsEjlLl)w!eBKfHrfZ8pg~~_12.JPG

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Are you sure your "base card" isn't a press proof you didn't even realize you had?

Here is a regular (from ebay). I just looked at your Canseco from ebay and it looks like a press proof to me:

Regular:

!B7yO+Tg!2k~$(KGrHqV,!icEzN7Zi)eTBM1P6Pk8WQ~~0_35.JPG

Press Proof:

$(KGrHqUOKpoE6W0oDoCnBOsfB+!wF!~~60_12.JPG

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc
Not the best scan but if you look at the position circle and the team logo circle it is easier to see the refraction and notice the different colors. From left to right I have silver, gold and bronze.

1996leafPPMedium.jpg

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
The regular and silver are easy to tell apart. I agree that the bronze and gold are more difficult to tell apart just by scans.
The four next to each other:

1996leaf4.jpg

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I remember busting this product and inspecting every base card meticulously thinking that I would have got a press proof....

Then I finally saw a press proof and the difference was quite easy to see.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
masonphillip said:
I remember busting this product and inspecting every base card meticulously thinking that I would have got a press proof....

Then I finally saw a press proof and the difference was quite easy to see.

Yep, lots of truth to this. Same thing applied to 1993 Finest and it's refractors

Members online

Latest posts