Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who is the best current non-Cy Young winning pitcher?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
scotty21690 said:
markakis8 said:
There is three ways you can look at this and I'm not sure which one you want.

Best career: Toss up between Oswalt and Hudson
Best season that didn't win Cy Young: Again, Oswalt and Hudson, possibly Ubaldo
Best pitcher today: Probably Josh Johnson or Strasburg
Best pitcher today...which I suppose would incorporate all of the above into the results.

Like pretty much who would you want to be your Opening Day starting pitcher. Do you want Strasburg who recently recovered from TJ and might only give you 5 strong innings, or do you want the veteran Tim Hudson who will give you 7 solid innings?

It's easy to say that Verlander and Halladay are two of the best pitchers in the bigs...but it seems a bit tougher to choose the non-Cy winners. This is not a future potential thread but who do you think is best right now...a year ago from today I might have said Wainwright, but it's tough to say that now...crazy to think that the Cardinals won the World Series without him.

Of all the pitchers you have listed, I would easily take Josh Johnson for an opening day start.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
MojoDan said:
I am hoping to see Cahill added to that list
Over his (now former) teammate Gio?! ;)

We will give Cahill one year to bounce back before he is on the list

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
scotty21690 said:
MojoDan said:
I am hoping to see Cahill added to that list
Over his (now former) teammate Gio?! ;)

We will give Cahill one year to bounce back before he is on the list

Both are going to do well this season with their new clubs. I would have been thrilled to see either in Boston.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
For me it's easily Josh Johnson. When healthy he is a top-10, maybe even top-5 pitcher. Great stuff, good command, and a gutsy pitcher. Only throwing 200+ IP once in his career is some serious baggage, though.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
chompsmcgee said:
For me it's easily Josh Johnson. When healthy he is a top-10, maybe even top-5 pitcher. Great stuff, good command, and a gutsy pitcher. Only throwing 200+ IP once in his career is some serious baggage, though.
Yeah, Johnson would be the easy pick but he is such a big "if" pitcher. I would be more inclined to choose someone who has not been injured half of their career.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Adam Wainwright

If it wasn't for Lincy winning a few years,and splitting votes with his own teammate he may have a few already.

He'll get his eventually.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Wainwright would have easily finished top 3 Cy last season if not for TJ surgery...he is one hell of a pitcher.

Though not having pitched in a year it's not easy to still declare him the best non-Cy pitcher out there (like I previously mentioned he'd be the guy I picked this time last year)

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
It's crazy to me that Wainwright got the most 1st place votes in 2009 yet he still finished in 3rd place.

How on Earth would 15 people give him 15 3rd place votes in that season? He won 19 games and lost 8. Lincecum won 15 and lost 7. While Carpenter won 17 and lost 4.

That years voting just blows my mind.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Sam Banks said:
It's crazy to me that Wainwright got the most 1st place votes in 2009 yet he still finished in 3rd place.

How on Earth would 15 people give him 15 3rd place votes in that season? He won 19 games and lost 8. Lincecum won 15 and lost 7. While Carpenter won 17 and lost 4.

Because people who vote on the Cy Young are smart enough to not use W-L records.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
I'd like to hope Dan Haren gets one before his career but I am not sure if he will.

Also Johnny Cueto has a really good season last year considering he missed the beginning and end of the season. The funny part was nobody really noticed.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
I would like to see Gallardo or Latos win a Cy Young.

In a couple of hours you can add Yu Darvish to this list.

Or maybe sooner.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Wes said:
Sam Banks said:

Because people who vote on the Cy Young are smart enough to not use W-L records.

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

It shouldn't only be based on wins and losses, but that particular season, it's a joke that Lincecum won.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
DRav87 said:
I'd like to hope Dan Haren gets one before his career but I am not sure if he will.

Also Johnny Cueto has a really good season last year considering he missed the beginning and end of the season. The funny part was nobody really noticed.
Dan Haren easily has a shot...last year was the lowest walk rate of his career. Not to mention he can handle a big workload over a full season, nearly 1600 IP over his past 7 seasons. Oh, did I mention he has a K/BB over 5 in 3 of his past 4 seasons? Crazy!

Cueto has had an interesting career so far....in 4 seasons his ERA, WHIP, H/9, HR/9, BB/9 have went down every year but so has his K/9. Should be primed for a breakout season.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Sam Banks said:
Wes said:
[quote="Sam Banks":2nwliug2]It's crazy to me that Wainwright got the most 1st place votes in 2009 yet he still finished in 3rd place.

.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__

It shouldn't only be based on wins and losses, but that particular season, it's a joke that Lincecum won.[/quote:2nwliug2]

I don't know what all those symbols are supposed to mean, but it's definitely not a joke.

Lincecum had a higher WAR, better ERA, better WHIP, better K/BB rate, better K/9 rate and better H/9 rate than Wainwright. Where's the joke?

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
scotty21690 said:
D-Lite said:
scotty21690 said:
Huffamaniac said:
were is 200 game winner Tim Wakefield :lol:
I must have thought he had won a few Cy's back in his day. ;)
Haha, when exactly was back in his day? Has Wakefield ever had a "day"?

And I know you're going for a larger list, but half those names just need to be X'd off. Wandy and CJ? Nice pitchers, but come on.
If you read it you would know I wanted as many solid pitchers as I could find. I tried to get at least one name from all of the teams for the sake of discussion. Many names have already been mentioned so it's tough to narrow down a list like this one.
I understand the point of the list, sure, but even including Wandy and CJ using the criteria of one from each team is reaching.

Also, about leaving out relievers, is it because you're opposed to them winning the Cy Young or just for the sake of this discussion? I think it would have to be an amazing season for a reliever to be even considered for the award, such as Gagne or Eck had.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I agree that Lincecum winning was a joke but I feel it was Carpenter that was screwed.

Sam Banks said:
Wes said:
[quote="Sam Banks":2c6eqvuc]It's crazy to me that Wainwright got the most 1st place votes in 2009 yet he still finished in 3rd place.

It shouldn't only be based on wins and losses, but that particular season, it's a joke that Lincecum won.[/quote:2c6eqvuc]

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
D-Lite said:
scotty21690 said:
[quote="D-Lite":1b6f5fig]
scotty21690 said:
Huffamaniac said:
were is 200 game winner Tim Wakefield :lol:
I must have thought he had won a few Cy's back in his day. ;)
Haha, when exactly was back in his day? Has Wakefield ever had a "day"?

And I know you're going for a larger list, but half those names just need to be X'd off. Wandy and CJ? Nice pitchers, but come on.
If you read it you would know I wanted as many solid pitchers as I could find. I tried to get at least one name from all of the teams for the sake of discussion. Many names have already been mentioned so it's tough to narrow down a list like this one.
I understand the point of the list, sure, but even including Wandy and CJ using the criteria of one from each team is reaching.

Also, about leaving out relievers, is it because you're opposed to them winning the Cy Young or just for the sake of this discussion? I think it would have to be an amazing season for a reliever to be even considered for the award, such as Gagne or Eck had.[/quote:1b6f5fig]
I don't even know why I bother responding to you...it's starting pitcher only. How the hell is that hard to understand?

Who cares what pitcher is on the list? You have contributed absolutely nothing to the discussion, as per usual.

Members online

Latest posts