Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018.. yes 2018! collection goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Crazy to fathom another year has gone by. Hopefully everyone made some headway in this crazy hobby of ours. As life happens so in turn does our involvement with our collections.
What are YOUR hopes and aspirations for your part in the collecting world in the following year?
I'll list mine in no particular order.

1) I want to FINISH AT least 2 of the sets I'm working on. down to 3 cards or less in 4 sets.

2) stay focused. I got a little off track with main PC pickups being slow and grabbed up a bunch of stuff I'll probably end up selling in the near future.

3) get re-supplied and have everything encased, labeled and team bagged. I was at about 95% for a month and I keep falling backwards.

4) this is the year I finally grab a Harper auto. overdue But I may just bite the bullet finally.

5) Did I say stay focused!!? I love the stuff I have but between starting a new spahn pc, haniger rainbow, star autographs of today's young stars and grabbing a few things I thought were needed, I spent double what I should have. Stick to my sets or a hof patch once in a while and I feel I should be good.

6) get back in the gym and lose some weight. my knees and back hurt and my 20 yr reunion is this year, so why not?

anyone?

Last edited:

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
- Attend the NSCC in Cleveland (already bought my AirBnb)

- Finish my 2011 Topps Heritage tint set

- Pick up the remaining 2001 Topps Heritage inserts I need

- Pick up the 2001 UD Legends of NY Babe Ruth bat card I need to finish the GU bat set

- Sub my 2011 Topps Update Mike Trout to BGS. It looks like a 10.

- Be debt free (2017 got me $15000 closer)

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Pick off a few more of the items needed on Yankee sets that I'm working on. Need 1956 Topps Rizzuto pin, 1961 Topps Stamps pair Blanchard/Sempoch, 1962 Topps Stamps pairs Kubek/Latman, Ford/Musial & Howard/Mazeroski, 1965 Topps Transfers Bouton & Howard and 1966 Topps Rub Offs Yankee Pennant. Get to 950 Yankee autographs.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I'm going to begin something I've never done. From the beginning of the year to the end, I'm going to save little by little. At some point, I want to add Jackie Robinson's autograph to my collection. I know it won't be cheap by any means, but his story is an integral part of baseball's history and I want to be able to say that I've purchased something viable instead of drinking beer 2-3 times a week. I thought about how much money I'm spending on that, as opposed to spending it on more productive things. We'll see how long my saving trend lasts, but I'm willing to alter my habits for a formidable goal.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I'm going to begin something I've never done. From the beginning of the year to the end, I'm going to save little by little. At some point, I want to add Jackie Robinson's autograph to my collection. I know it won't be cheap by any means, but his story is an integral part of baseball's history and I want to be able to say that I've purchased something viable instead of drinking beer 2-3 times a week. I thought about how much money I'm spending on that, as opposed to spending it on more productive things. We'll see how long my saving trend lasts, but I'm willing to alter my habits for a formidable goal.

Great idea! I spent $1250 for this, plus it had a few more autographs on it!
Jackie Robinson, etc. autograph PSA/DNA 10/15 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
1. First and foremost is to fill in holes in my Alomar PC, focusing on playing career issues. This collection is by far my #1 hobby, and finding missing cards without breaking the bank makes my day every time.
2. On the other hand, sharply decrease PC purchases of new issues, especially the glut of mid-high end stuff from Topps. For 2017 there's 228 unique cards, and the 56 that I've collected so far feels like way too many and at too high a cost.
3. Maybe join Blowout forum. Maybe. Probably some trades and deals to be found there. But I just can't quite be bothered yet to participate in another forum. You guys on FCB are cool enough :)

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I think year I am going to focus on the main players I collect and sell off the cards from my collection that might be able to help out others with their collections..

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Excellent Idea! I hope to see one in the year ending thread!

Just started a new project. Hopefully, it'll keep me focused.

And keep me from ripping wax...:cool:

haha, good luck!

I think year I am going to focus on the main players I collect and sell off the cards from my collection that might be able to help out others with their collections..

sounds ominous ;)
best of luck to you as well

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Continue on with PSA vintage, Rookies and cheap but cool inserts. The wallet will be tighter this year but hoping to sell off stuff that I don’t want for the cards that I do. I’d like to land at least one big vintage card this year that has eluded me (there are several). It would be great to stockpile some PayPal. Aside from that, to finally be organized would be glorious.

Feb 28, 2012
Syracuse
Add at least 300 different cards to the Pujols PC, which would put me over 1300. I started the process of selling off all my other Cardinals and will look to continue that in 2018. Also hoping that Carson Kelly finally gets a licensed RC in 2018.

Michael.petkus

Jan 30, 2016
To add the following Ryne Sandberg cards to the collections:

1. 1998 Ultra Platinum Medallion
2. 1997 Flair Legacy Collection Rows 2, 1, and 0.
3. 1997 SPX Grand Finale
4. 1997 ex2000 Essential Credentials
5. 1996 Select Certified Blue

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
1) For the HOF manager line-up card collection - Pick up a 3-5 more lineup cards signed by HOF managers including at least one from the "top" of my list (would love to pick up a Stengel Yankees lineup card or an old Connie Mack signed card).

2) For the Jackie Robinson/Integration Collection - Would love to pick up a Jackie Robinson ***** League signed baseball. Also looking to pick up programs/materials related to Jackie's barnstorming tours, and other interesting items that tell the integration story. May look to move an item or two that are pretty cool, but not necessarily the core of my collection.

3) For the ***** League contract collection - Pick up 1-2 more ***** League contracts of either HOF'ers or significant non-HOF players.

4) WWII-baseball collection - Find WWII-baseball items related to Hank Greenberg as well as Bob Feller.

5) Sell off items that are outside of my collecting focus or are "non-essentials." Even within my areas of focus I've definitely picked up some items that are interesting, but not really the sweet spot of my collection.

Members online