Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT DO NOT OPEN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
You have been warned.

So here are some interesting prices from the August 1993 Beckett

d529f8e00f739f18c783033bd9f5c010.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Ouch, but my question is where was that price being established? Was there a lot of movement to track or did they through it out there just cuz.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I doubt there was any movement at those levels. I remember being offered a slightly beat up one when the price was $250. I was collecting Thomas heavily at the time. I don't recollect really hearing about it before then, but I seem to remember the price shooting up very fast over a short period of time.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Ouch, but my question is where was that price being established? Was there a lot of movement to track or did they through it out there just cuz.

Ryan

They’ve always come from the same place; pulled straight out of their asses. Or a dart board.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Back in the day Beckett solicited card sales information from dealers, card shop owners and auction results to help arrive at their pricing information. I was one who would submit sales information to Beckett on a monthly basis as a result of sales at the various card shows I had attended. Beckett employees would also attend significant card shows to collect information in the pre-internet days and it was not unusual to see Dr. Beckett at shows back then. I believe Dr. Beckett had a degree in statistics and he used his education to assemble sales information for his price guide. I am sure they had other means to collect sales data but I know only what I know.

In the pre-internet days cards sales were extremely volatile and it was generally understood that Beckett and the various card price guides were at least a month or two behind the times as by time sales were made and reported and then published, the market left those price guides in the dust. Those were the days when you actually used Beckett as it was meant to be, as a guide and not the absolute Bible on card pricing.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The issue I ran into in those days was that many of the local dealers were afraid to sell anything new until Beckett put a price to it. That is the exact opposite of what they were reporting. How is Beckett reporting sales, when sales weren't happening until prices were reported?! Chicken/Egg dilemma...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I understand on how Beckett collected data or at least tried to back in the day, and it is a hard task to be accurate for sure, but that was their business. My question on this one is how many Thomas NNOF were changing hands at $25 for them to actually put that price on it.

Ryan

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I don't look at old price guides for this exact reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont look at old price guides now knowing I could get a Mantle or DiMaggio autograph at just about any major market show for $25 each!

Fordman

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
As much as it hurts to see things that are worth 100xs now, look at something like 1993 First Day Issues etx and see the opposite pain.

Ryan

Members online