Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOLY ICHIRO!!!! 2013 Ichiro Immortals Collection.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I think this calls for a AIC break similar to the presidential cuts we did a year or two ago... have spots for $20 each or $40 each and then do a random.org to determine the order... obviously the #1 spot would get the hit... the next few spots would get a base card and maybe give the empty box (if it's something valuable or nice) to the next person in line... everyone else gets a drawn 1/1 from one of your kids lol

17 total subsets

800 per box/17 slots = $47 per
700 per box/17 slots = $41 per
600 per box/17 slots = $35 per

The reason I'd do it this way would be so people could possibly sell their spot.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
17 total subsets

800 per box/17 slots = $47 per
700 per box/17 slots = $41 per
600 per box/17 slots = $35 per

The reason I'd do it this way would be so people could possibly sell their spot.
I would do like 20 spots or something... getting the price point down to $40 or less for the possibility of $800 boxes I think would be good. There would be 5 people winning something, so that's still 25% chance, which was better than the minimal in the presidential breaks... could even go more spots really.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I would do like 20 spots or something... getting the price point down to $40 or less for the possibility of $800 boxes I think would be good. There would be 5 people winning something, so that's still 25% chance, which was better than the minimal in the presidential breaks... could even go more spots really.

Certainly could do that but I think the 17 slots works very well. Allows a random to happen and if you were the person that held the rights to the Booklet cards I could see that spot trading hands within the group before the break happened.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Certainly could do that but I think the 17 slots works very well. Allows a random to happen and if you were the person that held the rights to the Booklet cards I could see that spot trading hands within the group before the break happened.

This works imho

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
That's true. I wonder what the final value of the "boxes" will be. Only 300 produced, would be a great gamble of a random break IMO.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Greetings....

I am pleased to introduce what is easily the most high end baseball release of all time, 2013 Ichiro Immortals Collection.

For historical accuracy I believe the most high end release of all time (for baseball) was the 2000 Yankees Master Collection box which iirc was around $2000 a box.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Dumb question, but how does Leaf get away with using "New York Yankees" and "Seattle Mariners" in their sell sheets, but can't use the team names on their cards? Especially when the sell sheet disclaimer states: "These have not been authorized, endorsed, or approved by any professional team, league or licensing agency." Seems like Leaf could get in trouble for using copyrighted names in their sales literature.

Not very "preoffesional."

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
My only concern with this product is looking back at the Ichiro autos that have been released by Leaf since 2011. The prices have come down significantly since the 2011 Leaf Metal Patches came out. I forget what I sold my Metal Patch for, but I know I sold a Leaf Valiant base green auto for $500 and a Blue /14 for over $700. But now he's had an auto in Metal, Valiant, Memories, Masterworks, Best of Baseball, Legends of Sport, and Pop Century. While BG is keeping them "rare" in this release by limiting each auto card to 5 or less, that doesn't change the fact that 300 more autos will come out with this one release. Now, in the whole scheme of things, 300 isn't a lot, but every box opened is another Ichiro on the market. Even if you look at the rare Ichiro Leaf autos that have sold recently, Valiant Black /5 sold for $550 and a Masterworks 1/1 for $500, this product will cost more than those have sold for. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to dip my toe in the water here and order some, I'm just saying that this doesn't come without some risk. But I have no doubt the cards will be gorgeous, which makes them already better than the look of the Valiant Black I was referencing.
A couple hundred or more hitting the market will have the same effect. I don't think they will sell for the same price as in the past after this release.

At the same time i wouldn't mind a nice gu auto but i am sure they will be hard to pull.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
My only concern with this product is looking back at the Ichiro autos that have been released by Leaf since 2011. The prices have come down significantly since the 2011 Leaf Metal Patches came out. I forget what I sold my Metal Patch for, but I know I sold a Leaf Valiant base green auto for $500 and a Blue /14 for over $700. But now he's had an auto in Metal, Valiant, Memories, Masterworks, Best of Baseball, Legends of Sport, and Pop Century. While BG is keeping them "rare" in this release by limiting each auto card to 5 or less, that doesn't change the fact that 300 more autos will come out with this one release. Now, in the whole scheme of things, 300 isn't a lot, but every box opened is another Ichiro on the market. Even if you look at the rare Ichiro Leaf autos that have sold recently, Valiant Black /5 sold for $550 and a Masterworks 1/1 for $500, this product will cost more than those have sold for. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to dip my toe in the water here and order some, I'm just saying that this doesn't come without some risk. But I have no doubt the cards will be gorgeous, which makes them already better than the look of the Valiant Black I was referencing.

I'm not sure I agree here. Looking at the quality of these cards I have a feeling that they will sell for a premium over other Ichiro cards similar (although probably not close to the same degree) as Exquisite/National Treasures/Flawless cards get in the NBA. When something about a card makes it stand out beyond simply having a signature, it can have a totally different market and I get the feeling these cards may fit that bill.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I'm not sure I agree here. Looking at the quality of these cards I have a feeling that they will sell for a premium over other Ichiro cards similar (although probably not close to the same degree) as Exquisite/National Treasures/Flawless cards get in the NBA. When something about a card makes it stand out beyond simply having a signature, it can have a totally different market and I get the feeling these cards may fit that bill.

Oh I agree these cards will look amazing...I said the same in the last sentence that you quoted above, but it doesn't change the fact that the overall availability of Ichiro autos will get 300 larger at one time which will have some effect and perhaps the larger effect will be on the existing Leaf Ichiro autos that aren't as attractive. I do agree that the cards will have a super-high-end look and feel and should sell for more than the Leaf Valiant Black /5...if I didn't, I wouldn't have ordered what I did. My point was to create a "baseline" for what an Ichiro auto /5 or less should sell for. If $500 and $550 are the baseline for less-than-stellar releases, what will the Immortal Collection cards sell for? You'd think higher and I agree that you'd be right.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
This issue is certainly gonna push ichiros autos down. Where its temporary or permanent remains to be seen. If anyone is looking for his auto this will be the time to get it. MLB cards and NBA are extremely different
baseball exquisite never will be seen like basketballs version.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Product has been ordered far in excess of production as I type this... BG

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Dumb question, but how does Leaf get away with using "New York Yankees" and "Seattle Mariners" in their sell sheets, but can't use the team names on their cards? Especially when the sell sheet disclaimer states: "These have not been authorized, endorsed, or approved by any professional team, league or licensing agency." Seems like Leaf could get in trouble for using copyrighted names in their sales literature.

Not very "preoffesional."

Several thoughts..... First, these names are being used in a descriptive manner/ editorial manner (as so much, we can put bio information on the card with this information as well)... Second, while we are playing legal eagle, I am still a firm believer that we could show him in jersey with no airbrushing IF we wanted to. Sports Illustrated for Kids cards would be a great test case for this and frankly 2015 will bring a test of the logo on jersey issue depending on the decisions of one of the licensing bodies (that part is a guarantee)... BG

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Several thoughts..... First, these names are being used in a descriptive manner/ editorial manner (as so much, we can put bio information on the card with this information as well)... Second, while we are playing legal eagle, I am still a firm believer that we could show him in jersey with no airbrushing IF we wanted to. Sports Illustrated for Kids cards would be a great test case for this and frankly 2015 will bring a test of the logo on jersey issue depending on the decisions of one of the licensing bodies (that part is a guarantee)... BG
Nice.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

Appreciate the response Brian - I greatly look forward to the day your cards can have big league logos and names on them. Tired of Topps being the only game in town in that respect.

BTW... I think this product looks great design-wise. It's not my collecting interest, but I think you guys did a great job with the concept and execution.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Oh I agree these cards will look amazing...I said the same in the last sentence that you quoted above, but it doesn't change the fact that the overall availability of Ichiro autos will get 300 larger at one time which will have some effect and perhaps the larger effect will be on the existing Leaf Ichiro autos that aren't as attractive. I do agree that the cards will have a super-high-end look and feel and should sell for more than the Leaf Valiant Black /5...if I didn't, I wouldn't have ordered what I did. My point was to create a "baseline" for what an Ichiro auto /5 or less should sell for. If $500 and $550 are the baseline for less-than-stellar releases, what will the Immortal Collection cards sell for? You'd think higher and I agree that you'd be right.

This issue is certainly gonna push ichiros autos down. Where its temporary or permanent remains to be seen. If anyone is looking for his auto this will be the time to get it. MLB cards and NBA are extremely different
baseball exquisite never will be seen like basketballs version.

I could see a temporary decline, but even that I am not sure about. I do agree that baseball (barring a dramatic change in international popularity) will never have the same market mechanisms that drive basketball cards through the roof (even if popularity grew, other factors would probably limit the impact). That said, because of the sheer beauty and design of these cards, it's very possible that high-end collectors jump in here and are interested in cards despite not really being huge Ichiro guys (and therefore not generally in the market for Ichiro's.) If this is the case it is possible that these cards won't have much of an impact on the Ichiro "lower-end" auto market because most of those people can't afford these, and these are being pursued by people who view them as a very different beast...

Members online