Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you all like this from Topps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
We all know they over use the same photo over several products for retired players.

What if for Archives they use a legend's rookie card photo on a different design?

So for instance, use Cal's topps traded photo on a 1987 design?

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I enjoy Archives and I think that would be a cool subset design. Maybe make those the SPs. And don't just do the big names, mix up like they currently do with guys like Nettles, Rondell White, John Mayberry, etc.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Anyone here care to Photoshop a card or two using this idea?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I would like it. 1984 traded Gooden on a 1985 design...very nice.

Something like this or with the exact same photo used on the traded set?

1985gooden.jpg

Fordman

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Nice job but I mean using his traded card photo in that design

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Nice job but I mean using his traded card photo in that design

How about this?

85tgooden.jpg

Sorry for the grainy photo but finding the original via google search was fruitless!

Fordman

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
No, not at all. Some of Topps' most iconic cards have been ruined for me, what with the constant reuse of the designs and images. I know this sounds bad, but I never really need to see a 1952 Mantle again, as they've used that exact picture more times than I can count on all my fingers and toes. I'd prefer the opposite: Topps putting new pictures on classic designs. Judging by what comes out of their archives, they have the unused pictures to do it. Instead of the same old 'bat over the shoulder, looking off' 1952 Mantle pose, maybe an action shot from the same era? Or a different, new, posed shot?

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
No, not at all. Some of Topps' most iconic cards have been ruined for me, what with the constant reuse of the designs and images. I know this sounds bad, but I never really need to see a 1952 Mantle again, as they've used that exact picture more times than I can count on all my fingers and toes. I'd prefer the opposite: Topps putting new pictures on classic designs. Judging by what comes out of their archives, they have the unused pictures to do it. Instead of the same old 'bat over the shoulder, looking off' 1952 Mantle pose, maybe an action shot from the same era? Or a different, new, posed shot?

How about this?

87tmantle.jpg

Plus I think the estate of Mantle dictates what photos they can use.
One other thing to consider, the camera equipment used then couldnt capture the movement of the player then as it can now.

Fordman

mrniceguy1126

Oct 6, 2008
NEPA
How about this?

87tmantle.jpg

Plus I think the estate of Mantle dictates what photos they can use.
One other thing to consider, the camera equipment used then couldnt capture the movement of the player then as it can now.

Fordman

This! I meant 87 Topps design earlier. It's my favorite set.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
What the hell, one more before hitting the hay!

88bbmantle.jpg

1988 Fleer Baseball's Best (Toys R Us boxed set)

Fordman

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011

I'd e very curious to see how many ones Topps itself has reused or reprinted the 1952 Mantle. It's gotta be close to 20 times at this point. Even before its current "retro" phase, they used it in the 1952 reprint set, the 1991 East Coast National promo set, the 1996 Mantle reprint set (regular, chrome, and refractor),.... That's 5 times right there!

Greg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts