Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New USPS rates 1/17/16- rate increases for most first class options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
Watch for shipping rates to go up. With Ebay taking a cut of the shipping fees as part of the total price most shipping will probably go up to $3 or $3.50.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Watch for shipping rates to go up. With Ebay taking a cut of the shipping fees as part of the total price most shipping will probably go up to $3 or $3.50.

As a seller on eBay I just do calculated shipping... I just hope buyers don't start hitting people's feedback for shipping charges when it isn't the seller's fault.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Canada Post is raising rates later this month too. I recently bought a 100-stamp roll of "permanent" stamps at Costco. They are always worth the current rate, and Costco sells them for a couple of cents less per stamp. Small savings but every little bit helps.

With the new USPS rates plus the extremely low Canadian dollar (now worth about 69 cents US), I have to put a definite stop to all online buying. I'll focus on trading via Zistle.

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
I wasn't aware it was going up that much, over $0.50 extra to ship each card sold will add up quickly. Shipping prices will definitely go up but as a seller you understand why.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
That's quite the jump

It's almost like the USPS says they can raise rates because they can (rather than have the inconvenience or other reasons of processing bubble mailers to give a reason why they "have" to increase the prices).

I wonder how much longer it's going to be before someone gives USPS competition in the small package delivery business (then again, maybe noone will because if UPS or FedEx can't do it for 2.60'ish, there isn't a way to do so that makes economic sense). I suppose you could deliver stuff to cluster boxes to save a lot of the expenses of house to house delivery and the customer ventures a few thousand feet or a mile or two to pick up their mail from the cluster box).

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
The last few rate increases were 11-24 cents for a 1-3 ounce small package/envelope.

I can track that the rate was $1.69 as of late 2013, went to $1.93 in Jan 2014, then was raised to $2.04 last May (2015).

This rate increase of $.56 is so absurd.

Is it worth the risk to send a low dollar card with regular stamp and no delivery confirmation? It would save us all lots of money but a few dick buyers would eff it up for most of us.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2008
Exactly where I am at, Maine.

My S&H policy for years has been as follows: flat and under $50 sales price, PWE inside folded computer paper and a forever stamp. Have done approx 3,000-4,000 of these and only 5-10 indicated they never received with 2 buyers being sketchy and I suspected funny business.

Under $50 and thick card or game used gets a padded mailer with approx 95 cents of postage. Lots more of these have gone missing as % of sent vs PWE.

Once it gets too thick or over $50 will do the tracking first class ship.

The question to ask yourself is how many sales will you lose out on when you have a high shipping cost? My guess is way more than the losses from a few jerk buyers. I usually offer 120% credit to buyers I trust on the off chance a package is never received. Have been seeing an uptick in forced refunds via PayPal though. PayPal will virtually NEVER support the seller over the buyer and definitely not if you don't have tracking. I really hate that about PP and ebay's mandated usage.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I think this will also cause a huge decrease in listings of the guys I collect. Nobody is going to list Eric Bruntlett low-end inserts if they'll have to charge even more for shipping.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Or, ya know, stay solvent.

Punishing small online sellers for their own ineptitude seems like a logical solution. Can't wait 'till it's $3 to track the smallest item. We are almost there.

Funny how ebay forces sellers to track shipments to be eligible for discounts. At an increase of more than $.50 per sale, that's an insane jump for many small sellers who deal in lower end. That's $500+ dollars per-1,000 sales. That's almost a mortgage payment for some. That's crazy.

PWE is an option, but ebay certainly wants everything tracked.

Last edited:

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Punishing small online sellers for their own ineptitude seems like a logical solution. Can't wait 'till it's $3 to track the smallest item. We are almost there.

Funny how ebay forces sellers to track shipments to be eligible for discounts. At an increase of more than $.50 per sale, that's an insane jump for many small sellers who deal in lower end. That's $500+ dollars per-1,000 sales. That's almost a mortgage payment for some. That's crazy.

PWE is an option, but ebay certainly wants everything tracked.

Use fedex or UPS.