Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GriffeyJr

Apr 21, 2013
Um, yeah, I didn't buy it for $30. I made the seller an offer much higher than that, and he/she sold it at that price, not the opening bid price, which was around the $30 you are talking about. Before you call someone out like that, especially on a public forum, you should make very sure that you are correct. I stated that I have no idea what it is worth because I have never seen one. I also listed it at $999 or best offer, and all offers will be considered. If nobody offers anything more than $100 or so, then it is worth $100. There is only one way to find out though right? So, I did address that it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I think it is easily worth $200 or so.

I'd like to see a source that proves that is a "proof" 1/1 card - for all we know it was part of a test batch or simply one that came out with imperfections, could have been backdoored with hundreds of others and even hole-punched at someones house to make it appear "rarer"

At the end of the day you're trying to rip someone off who may not have the knowledge we do about cards, which is sad, considering there are a lot of younger collectors out there.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'd like to see a source that proves that is a "proof" 1/1 card - for all we know it was part of a test batch or simply one that came out with imperfections, could have been backdoored with hundreds of others and even hole-punched at someones house to make it appear "rarer"

At the end of the day you're trying to rip someone off who may not have the knowledge we do about cards, which is sad, considering there are a lot of younger collectors out there.

How is he ripping anyone off? The market will set itself..... There is a market for whatever category you want to put this card in, but I don't see the problem w asking for an amount and taking offers..??

Ryan

dschol87

May 22, 2013
North Carolina
How is he ripping anyone off? The market will set itself..... There is a market for whatever category you want to put this card in, but I don't see the problem w asking for an amount and taking offers..??

Ryan

^What he said. There are plenty of listings on eBay I have problems with... this isn't one of them. Nothing wrong with fielding offers, particularly for a card with such an ambiguous value. It's certainly an interesting card, never seen anything like it.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010

Sigh... there are so many things wrong with your posts. I'm not going to reiterate what has already been said, other than the fact that I have mentioned on here, as well as the ebay auction, that I have no idea what it is worth and that all offers will be considered.

You never did address the fact that you were wrong about the purchase price, and you keep digging yourself in a bigger hole. Do you seriously think there are hundreds of these cards out there? I guess that is why nobody has seen one before right? I ebay search Griffey every day, and I've never seen one. Why would someone hole punch it to make it look more rare??? The card is already unnumbered.

Also, a proof card is a test-batch card, and it was one that was obviously backdoored. That's the whole point of it being a proof... Perhaps I should have used the word "test" instead of "proof", but I think those two words are interchangeable. Perhaps I am wrong regarding that, and if so, maybe someone could kindly point that out for me.

Also, do you see younger collectors trying to purchase a proof from someone that played in the 90's??? They collect stars they can watch on TV, such as Bryce Harper and Mike Trout. Come on man... You're so far off base here, and as you can see, other members agree. I posted this card here really hoping to get some information out of it, since I thought someone here may have seen it before. Also, this is the place to post pictures of rare Griffey cards! That is what this thread is for! Instead, you just publicly bash what I listed it for BEST OFFER on ebay. You really should have sent a private message instead if you felt that strongly about it. I feel like you should apologize or just take your rant elsewhere.

Last edited:

GriffeyJr

Apr 21, 2013
[MENTION=5489]murphy17[/MENTION] I don't have a problem with you showing the card off here, or listing it - my issue remains that you're claiming things about the card that you do not know. Everything about it is speculation and for some reason you remain stubborn that your "opinion" on the card holds some factual merit.

It's fine if our opinions on the matter differ, but replying in the manor you have with posts such as "sigh" or "So many things wrong with your posts." is simply childish.

To briefly address the "Why would someone hole punch a card?" question, lets look back at cards that have had sticker autographs placed on them, or sellers that use sharpies to number cards 1/25 - same reason the Griffey/Mantle dual auto is known to have fakes. The card having a hole punched through it is suspicious, not only because it hasn't been seen before but because it doesn't make sense.

You're a Griffey fan since you post here, a true collector would send that card to BGS/PSA to see what it comes back as.

Until that happens neither of our opinions or speculation on what it could be hold any factual backing so there is no reason to keep going back and forth.

Last edited:

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
@murphy17 I don't have a problem with you showing the card off here, or listing it - my issue remains that you're claiming things about the card that you do not know. Everything about it is speculation and for some reason you remain stubborn that your "opinion" on the card holds some factual merit.

It's fine if our opinions on the matter differ, but replying in the manor you have with posts such as "sigh" or "So many things wrong with your posts." is simply childish.

To briefly address the "Why would someone hole punch a card?" question, lets look back at cards that have had sticker autographs placed on them, or sellers that use sharpies to number cards 1/25 - same reason the Griffey/Mantle dual auto is known to have fakes. The card having a hole punched through it is suspicious, not only because it hasn't been seen before but because it doesn't make sense.

You're a Griffey fan since you post here, a true collector would send that card to BGS/PSA to see what it comes back as.

Until that happens neither of our opinions or speculation on what it could be hold any factual backing so there is no reason to keep going back and forth.

Well, I'm not going to send in a card to get authenticated (I have never sent a card in for grading before) when I don't really plan on keeping it in the first place. The person that wants to buy this would either want to take a shot on it or already knows what it is and is fine with that.

I don't think hole-punching a card comes close to faking Mickey Mantle's autograph to make it a a dual, or using a sharpie to hand-number a card. Here is the real question though... Don't you think that the person that owned this, if it was unpunched, would have forged Griffey's auto and numbered it on the back to try to pass it as the real thing?

For the sake of this thread, I'm done having this conversation with you. I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I apologize to the other members of this thread that have had to read through all of this.

Blane

Oct 13, 2012
I love Legacy cards. Never did manage to get the others from the years.
979899LegaciesFront_zps745c890d.jpg
979899LegaciesBack_zps4784dfe0.jpg

flarick

Apr 30, 2009
South Florida

Just remember the old adage - "opinions are likea**holes - everybody has one" and you are certainly behaving like thelatter! This forum isn't for opinionated rants and most of us wouldappreciate you dropping the topic.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
I'm not getting involved in this mess, but I can confirm that UD hole punches sample cards that they send to the player to sign. Take a look at item 260590117891. Seller has a second one as well. It appears it was sent to the player more as a "template" on where to sign, at least for the example I showed.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

AK11

May 24, 2010
Does anybody here have the 94 Leaf Slideshow Reverse? Is it considered rare at all?

Latest posts