Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I've never even heard of these so called big name players in bowman draft.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

im looking at threads on other boards and im seeing people getting all worked up over superfractors of players ive never heard of. Do people even collect players that actually play on major league teams anymore? I honestly dont get how someone can even want to "pc" a minor league player and spend 1000s of dollars on their cards.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
For the most part, one doesn't "pc" minor leaguers' cards - one sells them either after a terrific stretch, or after they've reached the bigs.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Can you see how someone would want to PC Mike Trout?

Now, take that answer and parlay it into this question... After you spend a fortune on Trout, wouldn't you wish that you had bought into his stuff before he exploded?

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Can you see how someone would want to PC Mike Trout?

Now, take that answer and parlay it into this question... After you spend a fortune on Trout, wouldn't you wish that you had bought into his stuff before he exploded?

This

I have a few guys on the radar from last year and only one from this year. :D

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I more than doubled my money on every Dylan Bundy and Profar I bought. Doubled up on Machado after he was called up. I didn't have a single card graded either.

This was just this year. I could go back and list more.

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
Prospecting is not a long term game. For every Trout there is a BUCKET of players who don't pan out. Gobs of them. Prospect for short term. Invest in sure fire HOF'ers for the long term. (Better yet, don't view card collecting as an investment)...

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
im looking at threads on other boards and im seeing people getting all worked up over superfractors of players ive never heard of. Do people even collect players that actually play on major league teams anymore? I honestly dont get how someone can even want to "pc" a minor league player and spend 1000s of dollars on their cards.

For some reason some people like to play pretend and pay for cards that show minor league players dressed up as major league players.

People pay extra for fantasy all the time; the force has a strong influence.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
Since 2006 I have profited very nicely on the following players -

Longoria - Freddie Freeman - Jason Heyward - David Price - Micahel Stanton - Logan Morrison - Dylan Bundy - Javier Baez - Starlin Castro - Matt Harvey - Manny Machado - Bryce Harper - Mark Trumbo - Mike Trout - Anthony Rizzo

All of these players were in the minors and I was making $$ off their cards, even more once the majors are factored in - This isnt even a complete list.

Why would somebody want to spend money to make money?....I have no idea, but my brand new car, fiancee's engagment ring, down payment on a house, and $3500+ sitting in Paypal (this is wedding money though)- they all know why.

Oh and did I fail to mention that I NEVER spend money out of my paycheck to support my PC or minor leaguer inverstments.

Last edited:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
For some reason some people like to play pretend and pay for cards that show minor league players dressed up as major league players.

Except when that "pretend" minor leaguer explodes on the scene and then EVERYONE wants to pay for a card of some kid playing dress-up.

Are you a Sith?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Some would say successfull prospectors are smart fellas

While others claim they are fart smellas (fgr)

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

swan.jpg

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Trout was a one time deal, but can you give me some more examples of prospecting bowman draft cards pays off?

Are you in jest playing devils advocate here?

Virtually every single ball player that debuted in Bowman Draft, that has made it to the MLB level (and some that have not) have turned out to be a profitable venture to varying degrees of sucess. Of course knowing when to sell is a good part of the game. But more to the point of this thread, Bowman Draft is for the educated buyer/breaker/seller. Someone who knows the minor league crop well enough to understand who is good, who is great, and who is just a filler (for now). Many buy this product as an investment, selling incrimentally as players get notariety. Others, as already mentioned, get a cheaper head start on their player and/or team PC. While others just break hoping to hit the 'hot prospect' to make a quick flip.

No matter how you cut it, ignorance of the checklist is just that, ignorance (and I mean that not as an insult but rather the epitomy of the definition). Now I do understand that a product like this is not for the average collector, the group who predominantly get all their respective sport news from ESPN and by watching MLB games, but do not make the terrible mistake in thinking that because the 'average' collector has little to know knowledge of who is who in the product, that it does not have its place or that it does not have a lot to offer the hobby.

Last edited:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Are you in jest playing devils advocate here?

Virtually every single ball player that debuted in Bowman Draft, that has made it to the MLB level (and some that have not) have turned out to be a profitable venture to varying degrees of sucess. Of course knowing when to sell is a good part of the game. But more to the point of this thread, Bowman Draft is for the educated buyer/breaker/seller. Someone who knows the minor league crop well enough to understand who is good, who is great, and who is just a filler (for now). Many buy this product as an investment, selling incrimentally as players get notariety. Others, as already mentioned, get a cheaper head start on their player and/or team PC. While others just break hoping to hit the 'hot prospect' to make a quick flip.

No matter how you cut it, ignorance of the checklist is just that, ignorance (and I mean that not as an insult but rather the epitomy of the definition). Now I do understand that a product like this is not for the average collector, the group who predominantly get all their respective sport news from ESPN and by watching MLB games, but do not make the terrible mistake in thinking that because the 'average' collector has little to know knowledge of who is who in the product, that it does not have its place or that it does not have a lot to offer the hobby.

To be completely fair, anything can, and does, happen in the short-term when it comes to flipping and selling. In addition to what you've said dumb luck and coincidence also drive profit just like any other card.

We've largely seen that profit in these cards is front-loaded - meaning there's no more to be had a year or two after the player hits the MLB - not ironically at the same time when the player actually deserves to wear that MLB uni. This is when the investors who've been propping the value of the card up have all left.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I believe trout and Harper are exceptions to the rule. Most of these guys I'd pull out of a box of bowman will either be mediocre, downright suck, or never make the majors. So for every profar, bundy, trout, Harper, etc. there are a zillion others who aren't worth a crap.

That said, it is a product you can make money on for sure. But for all the effort, like I've said before, topps chrome football would be just as easy if not easier. There isn't as much waiting, the guy is already producing, and the rest can be sold off to set builders. Same could be said of bowman but they don't have the first two out of the three. All any of them have is hype.

I'm content to buy the few guys I want to collect and let people do their thing with the rest. And I have no beef with that. I'm just not into it. But bowman must be perceived as primarily a money making product. Yes people collect some of the cards right out of the gate or when the guy reaches the majors. But the main focus is to make money.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Because that's what some people like to do? Some people, especially here, like to "prospect", which is fine in my book because they are apparently happy doing it and some make a little bit of money. The other people buying those cards on the flip are apparently happy with their purchase at the time as well otherwise they wouldn't be making the purchase. It's just one niche in the world of sports cards. I'm sure some people would wonder why you collect what/who you collect and spend X amount of dollars on it as well (assuming you collect anyway).

I'm a vintage collector who loves the pre-war stuff and I've seen people post somewhat similar things that you did, though on the other end of the spectrum. "Why would you want to spend money on cards of people who you can't watch play/are dead/etc?". Well, because I like to. I've always enjoyed the stories of the old timers and I like old/antique stuff. Hell, why would I spend money on a card of a player I can see play any day of the week during the baseball season?

We all belong to a niche in the hobby, maybe more, but we all belong to the card collecting community. I figure if everybody did the same exact thing the same way it would be one hell of a boring hobby to be in in the first place. Though I don't prospect at all, I thoroughly enjoy seeing some of the pulls guys get on here and how they made out in their prospecting ventures. As long as people are happy doing what they are doing in the hobby, that's ultimately all I care about. There is no right/wrong/better/worse way to do things in this hobby if you are happy with what you're doing.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts