Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does this look like shill bidding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
hey, does this look like shill bidding to anyone else?

Winning bidder on this auction:

Item number 350663454861 (keeps showing up as item removed and can't find it in searches).

99% of the auctions this person bids on are this seller's.

Sucks cuz I really wanted the card.

Last edited:

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Yeah, thanks. The link was kicking my butt.

Just aggravated. :( I already one a card that I needed from the seller and I have 1 more that I can't pass up. But I don't want to give this ***** any of my money!

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
I've never had any personal experience with him, but I know that the seller's name has come up before (on multiple occasions, one even recently) with accusations of shill bidding.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Before I even clicked on the link I knew it was Bigboyd. He absolutely shills. I watched it happen on a Michigan 1/1 auction I was planning to bid on a few weeks ago. The shilling account had the winning bid at $41 with about a minute left after bidding up by $1 increments, and then retracted their last bid so they were the underbidder at $39. There have been many other instances where his auctions have had some strange bidding practices near the end. Big thread on Blowout about it too.

I've won 2 seperate auctions of BigBoyd. After 2 weeks and nothing in the mail, I contact them and Both times he has a lame A%# excuse about being item was listed twice, blah blah blah. He refunds money and thats it. Then I keep an eye on his auctions and what do you know, items show back up. Guessin he was not happy about winning bid. They are shady IMHO.

Last edited:

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
I've won 2 seperate auctions of BigBoyd. After 2 weeks and nothing in the mail, I contact them and Both times he has a lame A%# excuse about being item was listed twice, blah blah blah. He refunds money and thats it. Then I keep an eye on his auctions and what do you know, items show back up. Guessin he was not happy about winning bid. They are shady IMHO.

I've had the same thing happen. Relisted the next day for a higher opening bid. They're as shady as they come.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
Wait but so many people on Blowout say that he does not shill!! It must be true! He doesn't shill!!

Lol yea right. This guy obviously shills his auctions. However he has a lot of people saying his auctions arent shilled over on blowout forums when i was on that site. eBay will never do anything about it because he is bringing in some serious coin for them.

I find it hard to believe that his "loyal customers" are willing to pay double what the card goes for just because he is selling the card. I've contacted him before and he swears on everything he doesn't shill and that he has just built up a loyal customer base that are willing to overspend on his auctions.

A_Pharis

Wait but so many people on Blowout say that he does not shill!! It must be true! He doesn't shill!!

Lol yea right. This guy obviously shills his auctions. However he has a lot of people saying his auctions arent shilled over on blowout forums when i was on that site. eBay will never do anything about it because he is bringing in some serious coin for them.

I find it hard to believe that his "loyal customers" are willing to pay double what the card goes for just because he is selling the card. I've contacted him before and he swears on everything he doesn't shill and that he has just built up a loyal customer base that are willing to overspend on his auctions.

Find me anyone who believes that. Tell them I have prime beachfront property for sale - cheap.

I'm not saying he's a PROVEN shiller, but there are plenty of examples as to how he COULD be.
(1) Relisting items frequently purchased by 100% activity bidders [with 500+ bids in 30 days]
(2) High activity bidders with high number of bid retractions.
(3) If he has customers that are so loyal that they ONLY buy from him - don't you think it'd net him more money selling to them off of eBay? No fees. Loyal customers so no chance of beign ripped off... seems like a no-brainer.
(4) The... well... the obvious shilling.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Your 4th point was the clincher for me. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Find me anyone who believes that. Tell them I have prime beachfront property for sale - cheap.

I'm not saying he's a PROVEN shiller, but there are plenty of examples as to how he COULD be.
(1) Relisting items frequently purchased by 100% activity bidders [with 500+ bids in 30 days]
(2) High activity bidders with high number of bid retractions.
(3) If he has customers that are so loyal that they ONLY buy from him - don't you think it'd net him more money selling to them off of eBay? No fees. Loyal customers so no chance of beign ripped off... seems like a no-brainer.
(4) The... well... the obvious shilling.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I sometimes track auctions of things I have to see what the current selling value. Sometimes, I get really excited because the card ended higher than expected. Then, I see it is a bigboyd card. and i am not excited anymore.

I find the 'loyal customer' thing a touch hard to believe. Does anyone search by seller, other than the secret guy you know who is bad at listing cards? Plus, it isn't like there is some huge variance in customer service on ebay. Toploader, bubble mailer and dc. Not exactly much room to go 'above and beyond'.

I avoid his auctions altogether.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
SHOCKER... a thread about shilling and when I go to the auction, it's freaking BigBoyd! This thread will be 100+ posts easy before the end of the day and will end when BigBoyd logs on and starts defending himself AGAIN...

As someone already pointed out... over 750 bids in the LAST 30 DAYS and 100% of the bids are with BigBoyd! LOL!!!!!

Yes, this is by definition, a SHILL

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
And it's really aggravating because I bought multiple cards from him and probably got shilled on the others.

and with only 11 copies, and a friend of mine already has 1, this will be a card I will probably never see again.

Oh well. I'm done buying from this XXXXing XXXXbag and hope other people will follow in my footsteps.

Members online