Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The First ever FCB Prospect Hot List by JP Schwartz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
/ February 18, 2013 / No comments
wheeler.jpg

Greetings, fellow prospectors.

Every other week, I will be releasing my list of baseball prospects who are either receiving a significant amount of hype, have had excellent performances recently, or both.

Recently, I created a “prototype” version of a Hot List, which you can find here. Afterwards, FCB owner Chris Gilmore asked if I could make this a bi-weekly column to supplement the FCB weekly Hot List. Unlike that list, this will cover baseball prospects exclusively.

It’s already a busy time of year where prospects are concerned, and Spring Training hasn’t even started yet.

Bottom line – the anticipation and hype are what’s fueling prices right now. In addition, the college baseball season began this past weekend, for those who prospect amateur players. And finally, there’s Baseball America’s annual Top 100 prospects list, which fans the flame even higher where prospect card values are concerned.

As a bonus, I will also include a “sleeper” on each list, i.e., a prospect whose card values have yet to reach their potential, but have the possibility to do so.

1) Oscar Taveras. There really is no serious competition right now for the top spot. The Cards’ GM compared Taveras’ hitting skills to that of Albert Pujols recently, and people are pouncing all over his cards. His base autographed Bowman Chromes are now fetching as much as $147 each, and his Refractor autos are getting up to $275.

2) Dylan Bundy. If Taveras is the top hitting prospect where card values are concerned, Bundy is the top pitcher. People are speculating as to whether or not this ace-in-waiting could break camp with the O’s, and his cards are steadily increasing. A base Chrome auto just sold for triple digits.

3) Xander Bogaerts. Being a great hitting prospect is a good thing. Being a power hitter helps his stock even more. And playing for the Red Sox’s organization just blows up his cards even further. A base Chrome just brought in $100, and a Blue Refractor auto brought over $250 recently, up from $175.

4) Jurickson Profar. While it’s looking increasingly likely he’ll start the year in AAA, the fact he topped Keith Law’s, Jonathan Mayo’s and Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects lists means his cards won’t be slowing down anytime soon. A Refractor auto sold for $190 recently.

5) Zack Wheeler. The top pitching prospect in the Mets’ system by far, like Bundy his cards are also steadily increasing, as a base Chrome auto sold for $70.

6) Christian Yelich. Another product of the recently released Top 100 lists, his hitting ability is finally being recognized where values are concerned. A lot of two of his base Chrome autos sold for $85 recently.

7) Gerrit Cole. He has arguably the top velocity in the minors, and isn’t far from Pittsburgh. People are already anticipating him becoming the ace they’ve sorely needed, as a Blue Refractor auto sold for $150 recently, up from the $105-125 range.

8) Austin Meadows. It’s never too early to speculate on potential 5-tool prospects, and he fits the bill. Many still don’t realize his base Chrome USA autos are in shorter supply than his Refractor autos, which are numbered to 199. One just sold for $90, and if the hype continues, they won’t be under $100 for long. In addition, a Purple Refractor auto sold for over $730.

My Weekly Sleeper – Shelby Miller. No, he’s obviously not a sleeper as a prospect, but the fact that Chris Carpenter won’t be pitching again anytime soon opens the door for him to win a rotation spot. You can still find his base Chrome autos in the $20-$25 range (as of now). Get ‘em while you can.

Last edited:

des1984

Aug 6, 2009
I'm still shocked how low Miller's autos are once Carp went down. They may decide to use Kelly or Rosenthal first but there is a great likelyhood that at one point, if not out of camp, he will be brought up, especially with Garcia's health risk issues. Other than Waino, that pitching staff is a bunch of questionmarks.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
JP great work.

Real question about Taveras, as a team collector not prospector buy now or wait until the drop after hype? I mean between now and call up these are only going to get more expensive.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Oy vey...some of those selling prices are painful. Particularly the Austin Meadows Purple at $730. I sold my Red at around $400 if I recall correctly. ugh.

I sold everything I have of all of those guys already and for about 25 percent less than what they are going for now. If it wasn't for the fact I bought early on all of them and doubled my money anyhow, Id be pretty pissed.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
JP great work.

Real question about Taveras, as a team collector not prospector buy now or wait until the drop after hype? I mean between now and call up these are only going to get more expensive.

I would wait until the hype dies down. Unless by some miracle he has a Trout-like season, in which case don't bother.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I know your article is targeting prospectors (evidenced by the first sentence), but I think you could also help the collectors out there who may not be familiar with these players by including the years and card numbers. For example, instead of saying “Tavares Chrome auto” you could say “Tavares 2012 Bowman Chrome auto #BCP102”. This is especially important if you list a player that has more than one autograph card.

I know that I used to enjoy the old Beckett lists that not only stated who the hot player was, but also listed one or two of his “key cards” to chase.

I enjoyed reading your article; nice job.
I can’t believe some of those prices paid, however. Wow!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I know your article is targeting prospectors (evidenced by the first sentence), but I think you could also help the collectors out there who may not be familiar with these players by including the years and card numbers. For example, instead of saying “Tavares Chrome auto” you could say “Tavares 2012 Bowman Chrome auto #BCP102”. This is especially important if you list a player that has more than one autograph card.

Duly noted. For the record though, if you click on any name on the list it will take you to an eBay search of that player.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts