Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Panini Announcement. The chatter confirmed as correct.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Hey guys

The chatter on the internet about the panini announcement has been confirmed.

Panini has indeed secured EXCLUSIVE NFL rights starting in 2016.

This exclusive deal runs 10 years through 2026.

It's all Panini for the foreseeable future.

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
I have no real problems with Panini. But I DETEST these exclusive deals. All it does is remove choices from the consumer. And that's never a good thing.

But alas, we seem to be stuck with these deals for awhile...

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I want to know if exclusive was league's idea or a company 's

Pretty sure the league. You would have the NFL telling Panini "pay us an extra $xx million and you won't have any competition in the logo-licensed football trading card industry" and I doubt Panini would decline the NFL's offer and have to actually compete against Topps and UD and other players.

The big thing I'm always waiting for is manufs paying so much for exclusive licenses that they go bankrupt or have financial problems because of the debt they took on.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Anyone have an idea of what the exclusive contract cost is , for this or the other sports ?

Ryan

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Anyone have an idea of what the exclusive contract cost is , for this or the other sports ?

Ryan

Brian Gray has alluded that the MLB license is $10 million a year with 20% royalties on Card Board Connection radio.

As some one who has never, and will never open a football product and wishes there was more competition in baseball, I will freely admit that I'm feeling a sense of schadenfreude towards Topps over this announcement.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
So with the exclusives , either $10-20 m a year , does that include any use of the players , an amount of memorabilia , quantity of autos etc. That's just for the Logo / Team name usage and then they have to negotiate w each players for their images , autos etc? Or does some of them come with the "package" ?

Ryan

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
So before you make dollar one, that's $20mil a year right off the top.

No wonder the quality and customer service are ****.

Imagine the corners all mfgs must cut to recoup that license fee.

That's what I'm thinking , that fee is huge. That's an additional million+ built into each product. I'm sure someone runs the numbers with the company to see , can we profit x amount more if we had logos , and if we were the only one with logos we can sell x amount more or charge x amount more. I'm actually surprised sometimes that companies , say NFL or MLB want to get so much out of a company that is helping promote it's brand. I am still surprised the leagues want exclusive deals. Anyway , is what it is

Ryan

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
So with the exclusives , either $10-20 m a year , does that include any use of the players , an amount of memorabilia , quantity of autos etc. That's just for the Logo / Team name usage and then they have to negotiate w each players for their images , autos etc? Or does some of them come with the "package" ?

Ryan

They can use images as they see fit. They must pay for autos.

Also if they put players on a box they have to pay them unless they show five or more players.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
They can use images as they see fit. They must pay for autos.

Also if they put players on a box they have to pay them unless they show five or more players.

Thanks... And thanks for the link Andrew. I really hope that the .50/cent a pack thing / focus resources on kids is true and not talk. I see this as a big issue for sure. And I hope they spread out the costs , meaning not all expensive product but a good selection from real low / low / mid / hi / upper hi / super hi

Ryan

Members online