Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on Andrew McCutchen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
"Racism certainly affected players in the past, but at this point, it's not as big of an issue."

Then why hasn't the hobby seen a "correction" on the those players cards after all these years?

Other than Mickey Mantle, are there any players from that era whose prices are out-of-whack in relation to their historical significance? To me, Mantle is an outlier. As others have said, a transcendent Yankees legend tends to have greater demand because that team has the most fans. See Derek Jeter. Stan Musial is up there with any player of his era in terms of talent and accomplishments and his cards generally have less demand and value than those Mantle, Mays, and Aaron.

Musial 1960 Topps PSA 8 - $227.50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Topps-...1486678313?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item20f1436129

Mays 1960 Topps PSA 8 - $409.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Topps-...0796694231?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5d515836d7

Last edited:

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
"Racism certainly affected players in the past, but at this point, it's not as big of an issue."

Then why hasn't the hobby seen a "correction" on the those players cards after all these years?

The price was established years before todays collectors. I prefer mays over mantle, but i and most collectors will pay what they have sold for in the past.

Maybe mays is priced correctly and mantle is a little nuts.

Black players today don't have the same problem. Stanton, buxton, and jhey all had huge hype when coming up during the trout era, none of them have been able to stay on the field enough to warrant a trout price. If stanton were to stay healthy for a few years, put up huge numbers and grab an mvp or 2, I think you'd see a huge jump. A move to a bigger market would help too.

Some have brought up miggy. Yes he is a great bat, but he lacks any charisma. On his way up he did some dumb stuff and i think people were never really drawn to him.

I am a big carew fan, i think he is undervalued do to people just not knowing much about him, not cause he is from Panama.

Griffey, Bonds, Thomas, Strawberry, and many others were some of the most collected stars during their time.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Other than Mickey Mantle, are there any players from that era whose prices are out-of-whack in relation to their historical significance? To me, Mantle is an outlier. As others have said, a transcendent Yankees legend tends to have greater demand because that team has the most fans. See Derek Jeter. Stan Musial is up there with any player of his era in terms of talent and accomplishments and his cards generally have less demand and value than those Mantle, Mays, and Aaron.

Musial 1960 Topps PSA 8 - $227.50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Topps-Stan-Musial-250-PSA-8-NM-MT-PWCC-/141486678313?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item20f1436129

Mays 1960 Topps PSA 8 - $409.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Topps-Willie-Mays-200-PSA-8-NM-MT-PWCC-/400796694231?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5d515836d7

You have a point. But it starts with Mantle though, and might just end there. Musial is grossly undervalued in the hobby. Part of that is his Topps dispute, part of it is the lack of hobby love.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
The price was established years before todays collectors. I prefer mays over mantle, but i and most collectors will pay what they have sold for in the past.

Maybe mays is priced correctly and mantle is a little nuts.

Black players today don't have the same problem. Stanton, buxton, and jhey all had huge hype when coming up during the trout era, none of them have been able to stay on the field enough to warrant a trout price. If stanton were to stay healthy for a few years, put up huge numbers and grab an mvp or 2, I think you'd see a huge jump. A move to a bigger market would help too.

Some have brought up miggy. Yes he is a great bat, but he lacks any charisma. On his way up he did some dumb stuff and i think people were never really drawn to him.

I am a big carew fan, i think he is undervalued do to people just not knowing much about him, not cause he is from Panama.

Griffey, Bonds, Thomas, Strawberry, and many others were some of the most collected stars during their time.

and one can only hope that someday, sometime, that is a situation that is corrected somehow

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

7 rings with the most popular baseball team on the planet. 3 MVP Awards. Legendary stats. What more do you want. Who, exactly, do you belive warrants higher hobby prices in the same sets Mantle is in? Examples would be nice.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
TBP's hero Jeter is black and outsells almost everyone, minus the other black legend Griffey Jr. So there we have it. Literally the top-2 hobby elites of the last 25 years... black. What say you, TBP?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Mays & Aaron

How many rings do each of them have? Let's be honest. 7 rings tends to make one pretty popular, especially when you are the heart and soul of the team. Team and rings means more than race. Aaron and Mays win 7 with the Yanks while Mantle plays for the Giants or the Braves, there is no "The Mick". Just another all-time great superstar.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
How many rings do each of them have? Let's be honest. 7 rings tends to make one pretty popular, especially when you are the heart and soul of the team. Team and rings means more than race. Aaron and Mays win 7 with the Yanks while Mantle plays for the Giants or the Braves, there is no "The Mick". Just another all-time great superstar.

Especially at a time when there was hardly any National coverage of any team and only the World Series in the post-season. Maybe the All-Star game.

So post-season success and being on the best team in the biggest Market was a much bigger part of a player's appeal to the general Public...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
i see no reason for Mantles RC to be 3+ times more "valuable" then Mays'. they are in the same set, and Mays' is a higher number.

Agreed its skewed , and some i do feel is race related, though if they were both the same color regardless of which one , I think that the Yankee Uniform and the Post Season titles and Post Season stats would be a large factor when comparing these 2.

Ryan

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Griffey Jr.'s popularity effectively died when he cried his way out of Seattle and then broke into a 1,000 different pieces in nearly every season he played with the Reds.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Griffey Jr.'s popularity effectively died when he cried his way out of Seattle and then broke into a 1,000 different pieces in nearly every season he played with the Reds.

Is that why his cards outsell every player not named Trout? Because his popularity effectively died?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

Umm , I'd have to disagree that any of his popularity has died. If it did , it was short lived and since retirement I think it has come back as strong as it can.

Ryan

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
why just the last 25 years?

Why the time before that? Clearly we can all agree that racism was far more rampant and socially "accepted" (certainly not saying it's right) the further you go back in American history. But ignoring that the two most popular players in the baseball hobby for the last 25 years or so are black men, while proclaiming rampant racism in the hobby, is pretty disingenuous.

Last edited:

Members online