Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My running National thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Like always, I picked up the VIP package which always contains lots of goodies.

The Topps vip reception was packed, like usual, and they were giving away boxes and stuff.

Honestly, I don't care about the free autos so I never stay in that room after I pick up the food (what you see is what they served)1438200791741.jpg

Learning from previous trips, the waiting line for the vip early admission on wednesday grows really fast (and long).1438200880802.jpg

Two years ago it wrapped around the back and kept going.

Player wise, I've never gotten such an awesome player as my admission hang tag 1438200998177.jpg

I'll keep updating to this thread.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
If you attend the Topps seminar, let us know what you find out about upcoming Bowman products.

thx

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Keep it going , I'd like to see/hear what's going on. I'd like to hear if those Wheeler boxes at BO get any movement.

Jealous of all going

Ryan

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Didn't get to walk most of the show yesterday as a I spent a lot time at one dealer's booth.

Even though I'm not interested in the group break room, it's definitely a much much better idea than the Olympics collectibles section which was at the last two Chicago nationals.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I had about 5 cases of those Fleer basketball cards in 1988 and like everyone else, couldn't sell them and gave them away, Free with Purchase of other item.

No one knew then they'd be what they are today.

Fordman

Sell me your Jay Bruce cards!

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Man you better hope you get amazing graded if you decide to bust any if that. It's been years but last I remembered was the 86/87 selling under $18k , man have they jumped lately ? I am curious what the Green Gem ends at , anyone know if one has moved lately ?

Ryan

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Man you better hope you get amazing graded if you decide to bust any if that. It's been years but last I remembered was the 86/87 selling under $18k , man have they jumped lately ? I am curious what the Green Gem ends at , anyone know if one has moved lately ?

Ryan

People would be amazed at the amount of old unopened wax that is at this show, it is incredible. I saw people scooping up 86 Topps Football boxes.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Woolworths in 1986 I remember seeing packs of fleer basketball.

Was excited because I figured if they carried FLEER basketball, maybe they'll carry fleer baseball.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I have to sort out everything but some of the biggest deals I've gotten are:

Betances elite RC auto $5
Brendan Rodgers Metal auto /25 $3
Yogi bat 2002 limited bat /10. $5

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
People would be amazed at the amount of old unopened wax that is at this show, it is incredible. I saw people scooping up 86 Topps Football boxes.

Yeah I get it moves and BBCE def would know the market. It still shocks me though. I mean think about 1978,1979,1980 Topps baseball. What's the top card ungraded in each set $50-80ish and it falls quickly. So it's part scarcity of the unopened boxes and the graded value. But man if someone decides to bust it's a risk. There are people out there with pockets that don't end so more props to them.

Ryan

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Insane wax.

Would love to see scans of some highend baseball singles if you don't mind indulging those of us living vicariously...

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
From walking around three days, here are some random thoughts.

There was extremely little Junk wax from the 80s early 90s there.

Now, wether it's because the stuff is drying up (doubtful) or because it takes up too much pricey space is debatable.
But there was plenty of 80s rookies floating around in discount boxes.

This hobby is so dominated by white males.

Saw a good amount of kids at the show.

Like I said above, it's mostly males but it's always nice to see pretty girls hawking fliers and signing collectors up for companies.

Generally all the dealers I dealt with were pleasant and willing to negotiate.

There is absolutely positively no shortage of discount bargain boxes containing game used, autos and all other cards.

And they were very popular.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I have been surprised by the number of kids seen in the pictures posted around the web. Somewhat encouraging

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I have been surprised by the number of kids seen in the pictures posted around the web. Somewhat encouraging

Agreed, I think the hobby has two issues though. Prices of nicer stuff and the lack of LCS. I remember growing up when I had an LCS at the mall, hella kids would go, trade and enjoy talking about cards with the owner but that time seems dead

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I was there today and yes, I too was surprised at the number of kids that were there. I rode the parking garage elevator with a man and his young son (about 6 years old) who told me that all he has wanted to do was come to the big card show and could not sleep the last three nights. It is great to see an infusion of younger people in the hobby.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts