Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This forum has been drama free for a few days, so here's some fresh material

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
tumblr_m8rlnilCj71qg39ewo1_500.gif

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
It seems that he was annoyed that he paid full shipping price and did have his cards properly protected. He left a neutral, no bigs. I'm sure if they had arrived protected, we wouldn't even know about this.

Bingo.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It's interesting to actually go and read the ebay rules. Most of us have been using the site for years, but many really don't know the rules and have not taken the time too understand them.

If I read and interpreted the rules for sellers correctly, a seller can only charge actual postage cost, actual extra service costs (insurance, DC, etc) and may only charge handling to recoup the costs of mailing supplies. There is no allowance for your time, your gas, your vehicle wear and tear, your ebay seller fees, your paypal fees, etc. You have to chalk that up to the cost of doing business. It would seem that anyone charging much more than about $3 (and some would argue even that is high) is overcharging for small packages. There is no doubt that even the best combined shippers still overcharge if they start with $3 and are taking an additional per item surcharge until they reach that next shipping cost level.

I would have to assume that in this specific case, the seller didn't have $6.00 cost into the mailer and postage, so the seller overcharged (per ebays own rules). By sending the cards carelessly, they also failed the buyer in that category as well. The one redeeming act was for them to refund the money, but that was their choice and completely unnecessary as it turns out. Although a courtesy email to the seller to address the overcharges would have probably been ideal, the seller certainly did nothing to help their own case by coming off aggressive in response to the neutral feedbacks. The buyer is entitled to leave appropriate feedback as well, so even if a buyer has unrealistic expectations, they may still choose to leave less than favorable feedback. That is a general risk a seller takes.

Communication would have be key here and unfortunately none was offered by the buyer and the seller's was too aggressive. The seller had everything to lose here but chose to be an ass. A little bit of manners on their part and maybe this would have been resolved simply and with both parties happy.

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think that some people are ignoring the way eBay works. While in many spheres a neutral rating is no big deal, a bunch of them are a death blow to a seller on eBay because it is generally assumed that neutrals and negatives are only used where something egregious happens. In my mind if the cards arrived safely it warrants a positive. The shipping method was not great but would get the cards there safely basically every time. The shipping price was known in advance although if you felt that was an issue you could don't his shipping rating and still leave him positive feedback. While the sellers response was uncalled for, I bet it was largely tied to the damage 11 neutrals would cause him, all over $10 in transactions to a buyer who never contacted him. If I was the seller I'd be really upset and believe that the right thing to do would be to change the feedback (if that's possible) and get over the fact he was rude.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
It's interesting to actually go and read the ebay rules. Most of us have been using the site for years, but many really don't know the rules and have not taken the time too understand them.

If I read and interpreted the rules for sellers correctly, a seller can only charge actual postage cost, actual extra service costs (insurance, DC, etc) and may only charge handling to recoup the costs of mailing supplies. There is no allowance for your time, your gas, your vehicle wear and tear, your ebay seller fees, your paypal fees, etc. You have to chalk that up to the cost of doing business. It would seem that anyone charging much more than about $3 (and some would argue even that is high) is overcharging for small packages. There is no doubt that even the best combined shippers still overcharge if they start with $3 and are taking an additional per item surcharge until they reach that never shipping cost level.

I would have to assume that in this specific case, the seller didn't have $6.00 cost into the mailer and postage, so the seller overcharged (per ebays own rules). By sending the cards carelessly, they also failed the buyer in that category as well. The one redeeming act was for them to refund the money, but that was their choice and completely unnecessary as it turns out. Although a courtesy email to the seller to address the overcharges would have probably been ideal, the seller certainly did nothing to help their own case by coming off aggressive in response to the neutral feedbacks. The buyer is entitled to leave appropriate feedback as well, so even if a buyer has unrealistic expectations, they may still choose to leave less than favorable feedback. That is a general risk a seller takes.

Communication would have be key here and unfortunately none was offered by the buyer and the seller's was too aggressive. The seller had everything to lose here but chose to be an ass. A little bit of manners on their part and maybe this would have been resolved simply and with both parties happy.

Your second paragraph is what I have been saying and a couple of members just don't seem to get it. It is pretty cut and dry.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
They charge a final value fee on every final shipping price as well as the sale price. I believe its 10%. So if you add the fee, the price of shipping, top loaders, ink, labels, EVERYTHING, its probably at around 2.50. I'm not going to charge 2.50 in case anything goes wrong and I need to eat money on shipping. Doesn't make sense to put it so close that you could lose money on anything extra cost.

Especially if your charging 2.00-2.25 no matter how many. If someone buys a bunch of stuff and you have to send a bubble mailer at 5 OZ or higher then you're already losing money. Doesn't make sense to me!

And I made it to the red before I had to respond. You are not allowed to circumvent ebays fees onto your shipping. Its in their rules so your "point" really isnt a point at all.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
And I made it to the red before I had to respond. You are not allowed to circumvent ebays fees onto your shipping. Its in their rules so your "point" really isnt a point at all.

To be fair those "rules" were made before they started taking 13% of the shipping charged. Before they taxed shipping the rule made perfect sense. Let's say that I get all shipping supplies for free and my time is worthless so I charge exact postage to a customer of $1.93. Well since ebay and paypal now take out 13% I'm really only getting $1.68 or losing 25 cents on every package that I mail (remember this doesn't include my time or any supplies whatsoever).

Some of you may be ballers that only sell superfractors or $100+ cards, but to the regular seller it is completely unfair that the "rules" force you to take a loss on shipping. Again, I'm not promoting making money on shipping, just don't agree with what some of you are saying that sellers should be taking a loss for every package that gets mailed out.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
To be fair those "rules" were made before they started taking 13% of the shipping charged. Before they taxed shipping the rule made perfect sense. Let's say that I get all shipping supplies for free and my time is worthless so I charge exact postage to a customer of $1.93. Well since ebay and paypal now take out 13% I'm really only getting $1.68 or losing 25 cents on every package that I mail (remember this doesn't include my time or any supplies whatsoever).

Some of you may be ballers that only sell superfractors or $100+ cards, but to the regular seller it is completely unfair that the "rules" force you to take a loss on shipping. Again, I'm not promoting making money on shipping, just don't agree with what some of you are saying that sellers should be taking a loss for every package that gets mailed out.

And I am saying not every seller needs to make money either. Ship 50 packages and over charge .50 cents and that's $25.00. If you wish to open a shipping company go ahead but it has nothing to do with your ebay auctions.

Rules are rules and the rules apply to everyone. If you dont like it you don't have to sell there.

And your "time" is worthless in this case. You can't now charge people this "time" fee considering its YOU who listed it. If its not worth your time don't sell it. Don't push the cost off to another cause you cant afford it. And also charging for your "time" is also against ebays rules. I noticed in the past people who charge for time are reaching because they are overcharging on shipping. Its usally followed by gas is expensive as if its now our fault they dont have a printer (or lying about it so they can charge more).

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
How many companies actually lose money on shipping outside of eBay sellers?

And before anyone says that so many companies offer free shipping, you can bet it's factored into the actual price you paid for the item.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
HOS BOUND!!!!!!
Not until the seller joins FCB just to drop in here and join the party haha... then we'll have pure awesomeness.

My two cents on the entire thing is eBay feedback is stupid. You can't leave ANYTHING but positive without it turning into a mess. I mean he didn't leave the seller negative... it's neutral... IMO that means you're OK with the transaction but just not pleased and think that it could of gone better, so neutral is left. This is still seen as negative and the stupid seller then refunds all the money and starts a war via PM... just dumb.

Either way, at this point I'd keep the money, block the seller and move on... but continue this thread of course ;)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Any when you sell something at a fixed price, go right ahead and build in any fees and costs you want. It will sell only for a reasonable price and you may find those fees dropping out later.

Auctions are a different story, because the item sells for what the highest bidder will pay. No chance to slap on added fees just to make up for a poor final bid price. Thus is the risk of the auction format. Sometimes you win big, sometimes you lose big. Most of the time it's somewhere in the middle.

How many companies actually lose money on shipping outside of eBay sellers?

And before anyone says that so many companies offer free shipping, you can bet it's factored into the actual price you paid for the item.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Doesn't eBay take fees on shipping charge where they didn't use to do this? Nothing is "free" guys... if it is free shipping, best believe it's baked into the price of the transaction or you're smoking something from Colorado or California.

Latest posts