Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who gets into the HOF in 2016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I'm ok with Hoffman getting in, but I don't think they'll elect him in his first year of eligibility

This whole "...but not on the first ballot" stuff is bogus. I am a Padre homer and have a hunch the "informed voters" might hold off until Riviera gets in.

Riviera is certainly HOF worthy as is Trevor.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
It's just a museum people. No one is confusing Phil Rizzuto with Honus Wagner. The, "it's not the Hall of Very Good" argument is silly. Because it's also not the Hall of Only The 10 Greatest Ever. If you're going to use silly semantics then go by the word fame. Lots of people have fame. Like the Kardashians.

Just a museum.....and guys are worth remembering, mentioning, honoring for many reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
It's just a museum people. No one is confusing Phil Rizzuto with Honus Wagner. The, "it's not the Hall of Very Good" argument is silly. Because it's also not the Hall of Only The 10 Greatest Ever. If you're going to use silly semantics then go by the word fame. Lots of people have fame. Like the Kardashians.

Just a museum.....and guys are worth remembering, mentioning, honoring for many reasons

Very well said. People will never agree on anything and it's not surprising they don't agree on who should be in the Hall of Fame. Just look at the number of votes some of the people who you would think clearly don't belong in the Hall of Fame get. I think Tim Raines measures up well compared to some of the other players already in the Hall of Fame but he is what some would say a border guy as Dawson was for so many years, but once you are in you are. It doesn't matter how long it took or what percentage of the vote that you received. Besides, it's not like this is the Football Hall of Fame that seems to let everyone in.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah I'm not saying there shouldn't be "a" standard or a line in the sand. But the Hall is already much too diluted for the "elite of the elite" crowd and they're never taking anyone out. No reason to get too worked up over it. Discussion is always fun though!

I assume it will be next year that MLB.com writers will have their first chance to vote? It will be interesting to see how the habits of voters change over the next 5-10 years with changing media, coverage, sabremetrics, etc

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Frank Thomas was only an All-Star 5 times, and I don't hear many people arguing his enshrinement, even with half of a career at DH.
2-time MVP? 500 home runs? Plus he was loved, feared, respected, etc... for most of his career. Not sure if your comment was directed at me, but AS is just one measure, not the most important, but one measure about how someone stacks up with peers, and to go with [MENTION=2212]Brewer Andy[/MENTION]' s comment about "Fame" AS can show how "famous" a guy is. Raines spent 3/4 of his career as a platoon player, not very "famous" at all.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
One thing I agree with is..."he is a hall of famer, but not a first ballet hall of famer" To me that is a complete joke. Either you are a hall of famer or your not. 1 ballet, your either in or out. Most people say Hoffman deserves to be in just not on the first ballet. Well if he deserves to be in then put him in on the first ballet. Makes no sense

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis

Thank you.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
2-time MVP? 500 home runs? Plus he was loved, feared, respected, etc... for most of his career. Not sure if your comment was directed at me, but AS is just one measure, not the most important, but one measure about how someone stacks up with peers, and to go with [MENTION=2212]Brewer Andy[/MENTION]' s comment about "Fame" AS can show how "famous" a guy is. Raines spent 3/4 of his career as a platoon player, not very "famous" at all.

I was just making a general comment about All-Star appearances and their limited value as a HOF-worthiness standard because it was brought up in several posts here and elsewhere this week.

Oddly enough, Frank wasn't an All-Star in years he was top 5 in MVP voting on several occasions.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Griffey, Piazza (Griffey should be highest % ever)
I can live with Hoffman and Bagwell like I can live with Rice, Sutter, Perez
I do not think Raines belongs, and think it's a joke he's constantly supported as such
Bonds and Clemens should be in, as should Rose
The Veterans Committee is not my favorite, as I think they vote too many in.

they vote too many in because its a business, its not about being worthy.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I heard someone mention that since Ruth wasn't a unanimously voted HOFer, nobody will ever be. I disagree. Although Ruth was [maybe] the greatest, most beloved player of all time, you have to remember who votes for the Hall of Fame: Sports writers. Sports writers are human beings. As unbiased as we'd hope they'd be in electing a Hall of Fame class, unfortunately that isn't true. Many things can keep someone from getting votes:

1. Playing for a team that people dislike for whatever reason. There's a large enough group of people that hate the Yankees, Red Sox, and other larger market teams. It'd be stupid to assume no sports writers let their disdain for a team affect their voting. I believe this is what prevented guys like Ruth, Gehrig, and Williams from being voted in unanimously.

2. Having a PED, drug, or ethical cloud over your name. While I don't agree steroid use should keep you out of the hall, enough voters do. Also, a lot of voters won't vote for you if they believe you're a ****ty person.

3. Racism. Although it isn't as prevalent today with voting, I strongly believe guys like Aaron and Mays would have received more votes if they were white.

4. Assuming someone will get inducted regardless of "my" vote. "If Randy Johnson is going to be inducted whether I vote for him or not, why waste my vote? Maybe my vote for Tim Raines can keep his hopes alive. I'll vote for him instead."

I actually believe Griffey has the best chance of anyone in recent memory to get voted in unanimously. Elite numbers, no black clouds, played for a team nobody really gave a **** about.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Raines spent 3/4 of his career as a platoon player, not very "famous" at all.

No, he did not. He is among the top 30 most valuable OF'ers to ever play the game, that has to be worth something.

they vote too many in because its a business, its not about being worthy.

There have been over 20,000 players in the history of MLB. Do you really think 215 former MLB players is too many?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Tim Raines reached base more times than Tony Gwynn. Just sayin' :)

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

Agreed. It's not like the Hall of Fame is in some warehouse that can't be expanded. It will be around for the history of baseball.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
What was that Nirvana comparison about?

The argument that Kurt Cobain used heroine (and it arguably gave his music depth and value) and is still in the Rock and Roll HoF, should be applied to guys like Sosa and McGwire. They used a nefarious substance to make their game better. It's interesting. The Rock and Roll HoF literally has criminals in it, while guys like Sosa and McGwire didn't actually break any laws (or rules, technically; at least not as they were at the time). Yet the BBWAA wants to have some moral objectivity about cheating.

I say anyone who covered baseball during that time and didn't bat an eye at these guys becoming monsters, should have their current HoF vote revoked.

Members online