Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it 2007?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Because it's starting to feel like that in Colorado. These Rockies are playing crazy well right now, with different guys stepping up to win games each night. Hopefully they aren't peaking too soon.

And can Kyle Freeland get some Cy Young love? I don't expect him to win it or anything, but the way Rockies hitters get dismissed because of Coors make me want to see people stand up and recognize a Rockies pitcher for once. Maybe the Rockies have found the key: draft pitchers that grew up pitching in Denver!

Sorry, I had to post. It's all too rare for the Rox to be playing meaningful games in September, but that looks like it's gonna happen this year!

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I was working last night and listening to the game. I couldn't believe how that game went down. Best Rockies game of the year by far! They didn't do it justice in the recap on Quick Pitch either - the game was 3-0 with 2 outs in the 9th and nobody on base. Rockies rallied on their last out to score 3 runs, then put another 2 on the board in the 10th to win 5-3.

David Dahl healthy is a big time weapon for that line up.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
The NL feels so wide open this year, no team had really distanced themselves. Unfortunately their big money bullpen has been less than stellar. I would love to see a great playoff run by them lead by of course, McMahon!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Yes its 2007... as in the BoSox are destroying everyone and the NL is weak and open.

I would love another shot at Boston...couldn't go worse than the 2007 Series!

I was at game 4 and watched Boston celebrate their championship at Coors Field. After game 1, I held out zero hope that CO would win, but I had tickets to game 5 as well, so was pulling (in vain) for a non-sweep.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Yes, it's 2007 because Matt Holliday is ready to show up in LoDo! Isotopes eliminated from the playoffs, Holliday is hitting great so it'd be stupid not to bring him up sooner than sept 1!

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Yes, it's 2007 because Matt Holliday is ready to show up in LoDo! Isotopes eliminated from the playoffs, Holliday is hitting great so it'd be stupid not to bring him up sooner than sept 1!

Actually it would be stupid to bring him up before Sept. 1st. Out team is clicking on all cylinders right now - no sense in messing with the 25 man roster that's already winning games. Mike Dunn is due back soon - I could see the Rockies waiting till Sept. 1st for Holliday, Dunn, Rodgers, and Lambert to get the call. It's much easier adjusting the 40 man roster than it is the 25 man.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
2007 was pretty awesome. I remember listening to many late season and playoff games on the radio at my house, totally enthralled. The last month of the season and the run through the playoffs were exciting as it gets. I even tried to be optimistic about the WS, but I couldn't find any objective way to argue against friends who said that by any measure, the Red Sox were a superior team, because they were. I mean, the Rox had Jeff Francis on the mound in game 1! And I really liked Francis. But before the game started he had an overmatched, fearful look that I still remember. Meanwhile the Sox had Josh Beckett at his absolute apex, looking like the total badass that he was (for a short time). But I still thought they'd at least win 1, maybe 2 games, and make it respectable. Oh well.

This year has been fun. And it's a little different than 2007, since it's not just the late season hot streak. To their credit, they have been more consistent. But after 25 years of watching this team win zero division titles, I just refuse to believe in the Rockies. I feel like Randy Quaid in Major League, but that's how it is. They have been outscored on the season for chrissakes. I'm still listening to games, looking over box scores, keeping on Matt Holliday watch, and all that, but let's just say I'm managing my expectations...

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
2007 was pretty awesome. I remember listening to many late season and playoff games on the radio at my house, totally enthralled. The last month of the season and the run through the playoffs were exciting as it gets. I even tried to be optimistic about the WS, but I couldn't find any objective way to argue against friends who said that by any measure, the Red Sox were a superior team, because they were. I mean, the Rox had Jeff Francis on the mound in game 1! And I really liked Francis. But before the game started he had an overmatched, fearful look that I still remember. Meanwhile the Sox had Josh Beckett at his absolute apex, looking like the total badass that he was (for a short time). But I still thought they'd at least win 1, maybe 2 games, and make it respectable. Oh well.

This year has been fun. And it's a little different than 2007, since it's not just the late season hot streak. To their credit, they have been more consistent. But after 25 years of watching this team win zero division titles, I just refuse to believe in the Rockies. I feel like Randy Quaid in Major League, but that's how it is. They have been outscored on the season for chrissakes. I'm still listening to games, looking over box scores, keeping on Matt Holliday watch, and all that, but let's just say I'm managing my expectations...

The 2007 World Series killer was the downtime between winning the NL pennant and the World Series. Rockies swept the NL in 7 games, the final game being on 10/15/07. Didn't start the World Series until 10/24/07 (in Boston) - having 9 consecutive days off was a major blow to their hot streak.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
The 2007 World Series killer was the downtime between winning the NL pennant and the World Series. Rockies swept the NL in 7 games, the final game being on 10/15/07. Didn't start the World Series until 10/24/07 (in Boston) - having 9 consecutive days off was a major blow to their hot streak.

You're right about it the momentum murder that happened between NLCS and WS. Remember that first inning of game one? Beckett struck out the side in the top of the first, and Pedroia led off the bottom with a home run. The series felt over right then. A couple of the games were close, but still.

But after 25 years of watching this team win zero division titles, I just refuse to believe in the Rockies... let's just say I'm managing my expectations...

These are statements I empathize with completely. In a way, they are why I am posting now and not waiting for the actual playoffs! Enjoy good stretches of Rockies baseball when you can, they don't usually last very long!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah it's true that the long layoff did not help the Rox at all. You could almost feel the air coming out of the balloon as they were waiting and waiting for the WS to start. But they could have played that series 10 times under all sorts of different circumstances and I'd wager the Red Sox would have won 8 times.

But for all my well worn pessimism, it is fun to have this team in the middle of a playoff race. Doesn't happen all that often. Last time I checked (maybe 3 years ago), they had the third worst overall record in baseball since they came into existence in 1993. So however far they go this season, I am actually trying to enjoy it!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Damn, I'm good! Rockies just announced they purchased Matt Holliday's contract from Albuquerque and twitter just had a photo of Arenado greeting Holliday in the clubhouse. Iannetta is gloating he's no longer the oldest player on the team.

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
And....he's back! Glad to see him. But he does need to hit. I think he has something left in the tank, and I hope to see it. But if he ends up being a good veteran clubhouse presence, with a few key pinch hits, and so forth (like Giambi way back when), I'll be happy. Still, I have much higher hopes. Go get 'em Matt.

Damn, I'm good! Rockies just announced they purchased Matt Holliday's contract from Albuquerque and twitter just had a photo of Arenado greeting Holliday in the clubhouse. Iannetta is gloating he's no longer the oldest player on the team.

Members online