Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

*****************MORNING THREAD 1/31/19 **************

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
No luck gettin the car started. Assume the battery has met its match in this weather. Side note, why the eff are they making batteries harder and harder to get to? Fricking ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I'm not a car guy by any means but I second that motion, when I go in to jiffy lube and they always tell me some of my systems are "closed off" so they can't check them I always think, why the frig would a car company do that.
I had a 92 lumina back in the day and anywhere I took it they would always complain they had to take 10 extra things out to do any work. Where's [MENTION=9350]fordman[/MENTION] to chime in, what are you guys doing!?

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
check date on battery on top then there is a sticker on side of some - letter and number / number is year maybe just one number 8=18 . I was NAPA 24 years - mainly warehouse manager .15 years ago . Battery should last 5 years - cold weather hurts that .

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I'm not a car guy by any means but I second that motion, when I go in to jiffy lube and they always tell me some of my systems are "closed off" so they can't check them I always think, why the frig would a car company do that.
I had a 92 lumina back in the day and anywhere I took it they would always complain they had to take 10 extra things out to do any work. Where's [MENTION=9350]fordman[/MENTION] to chime in, what are you guys doing!?
A closed off system is usually engineered that way because at some point, mechanics were messing with parts/fluids they really didnt need to. Jiffy lubes of the world were real bad about that. Did your power steering system really need flushed? Nope. If it wasnt ever an issue, no need to flush it. That was a money racket by the quick lube places.

The battery thing is 3 fold. One being no maintenance needed as a sealed system doesnt need water added. Two is environmental; mechanics would drain batteries on the ground, sewer and storm outlets so they can throw the shell away in regular garage or they would throw them away in regular garbage causing possible underground explosions in trash dumps. Third is placement on the car and the battery is used as a counter balance to help level the car out. Some of battery placement is so you'll come back to the dealer and have them replace it as they'll tell you that only they have the 'special tool used at the factory' that you can't get to do it yourself.

Btw, I just build what they give me.

Fordman

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.