Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps issues (non) Statement on Tribute - Updated with Recall Statement!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Quote from FB "We are aware of the issues with 2015 Topps Tribute Baseball. A statement is forthcoming."

At least they are saying they hear us. Will be interesting what they actually do/say.

Last edited:

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there was an issue with the cards. My question is what kind of quality control do they have in place to even allow this stuff out in the first place. I'm guessing none.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there was an issue with the cards. My question is what kind of quality control do they have in place to even allow this stuff out in the first place. I'm guessing none.

This guy

jon-cryer-in-hot-shots-die-mutter-aller-filme-.jpg

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014

I will say, it is possible that Topps did not know this was an issue until the packs were opened. It is entirely possible that the print company used the incorrect coating. In printing, there are a few different coatings used. Varnishes take a while to dry but you can use a few different types and spot apply. You have to use offset powder so that the vanish does not offset and in heavy coverage it can be days before the print work can go on to bindery stages. Long term, varnishes yellow the print work as well on certain paper stocks. Two other types of coatings are aqueous and UV. Here is a little more information on coatings.

http://www.printingforless.com/Aqueous-Coating-for-Printing.html

Without having seen a 2015 Topps Tribute card in person, my guess is the printer used a different coating than agree upon for the printing process.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I will say, it is possible that Topps did not know this was an issue until the packs were opened. It is entirely possible that the print company used the incorrect coating. In printing, there are a few different coatings used. Varnishes take a while to dry but you can use a few different types and spot apply. You have to use offset powder so that the vanish does not offset and in heavy coverage it can be days before the print work can go on to bindery stages. Long term, varnishes yellow the print work as well on certain paper stocks. Two other types of coatings are aqueous and UV. Here is a little more information on coatings.

http://www.printingforless.com/Aqueous-Coating-for-Printing.html

Without having seen a 2015 Topps Tribute card in person, my guess is the printer used a different coating than agree upon for the printing process.

Yeah I could see that as being a possibility but usually they have extra cards that they don't pack out to use as replacements or they may be able to notice it when the redemption cards start being returned to them.

To be fair I really don't know much about it since I have never bought a pack of topps tribute before. I was looking at it strictly from a quality control standpoint which is the type of work I do.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Yeah I could see that as being a possibility but usually they have extra cards that they don't pack out to use as replacements or they may be able to notice it when the redemption cards start being returned to them.

To be fair I really don't know much about it since I have never bought a pack of topps tribute before. I was looking at it strictly from a quality control standpoint which is the type of work I do.

The smudges are from being mishandled, with the ink on top of the coating it could be from signers or printing company employees. The vast majority of the autos have scratches through them. That tells me that the ink was removed during the packing process and the issue would have gone unnoticed until a pack was opened.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
My distributor told me to hold my case and Topps may be recalling the unopened boxes/cases and just replace the cards that are messed up for boxes that were open.

So we shall see what they do...

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
None of this would've been a problem if they used stickers!!

I am 100% certain that someone in the room at Topps dealing with the issue said that very thing.

I just watched the break by Chris at CardsInfinity and it seems pretty clear that the issue is that the ink transferred to the card above it in the packaging/shipping process. He showed how the card above it in the pack had the ink on its back.

So it was less likely to be the athletes stacking or smudging them, which I think was the first guess.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
If only Topps had cracked a box (or case) before turning the product over to UPS...

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
My distributor told me to hold my case and Topps may be recalling the unopened boxes/cases and just replace the cards that are messed up for boxes that were open.

So we shall see what they do...

Think of the madness of player collectors for the cards that made it out if the set is recalled...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Think of the madness of player collectors for the cards that made it out if the set is recalled...

Absolutely , would be a weird road to take for a product. Possibly they would open all the product , redo the autos and repackage. Wonder if the athletes would help em out at all w redos ?

Ryan

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Getting the players to sign the same cards again would be a waste of time. The pens are not the issue, it is the coating of the cards. I am almost 100% certain, even without see any of the live cards, these were UV coated.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Getting the players to sign the same cards again would be a waste of time. The pens are not the issue, it is the coating of the cards. I am almost 100% certain, even without see any of the live cards, these were UV coated.

They were! Topps said that in their statement. Nice call.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
They were! Topps said that in their statement. Nice call.

Can you post the statement? My question would be, did they know after the players signed the cards and packed them anyways or did they not know until the packs were being opened?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yeah, for a fee.

Yeah , I meant for a discounted fee. Prob not , just curious what would happen. Has there ever been a recalled product? I'm just not sure what they accomplish wo remaking the autos since it was already released, product is out there and it all won't get returned.

Ryan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Has there ever been a recalled product? I'm just not sure what they accomplish wo remaking the autos since it was already released, product is out there and it all won't get returned.

I don't remember a recalled product, but I do remember a product MLB wanted recalled but it never happened.

What would recalling the product do? Allow Topps to bring back the product, rip it open and fix the issue, and eventually pack back out and ship corrected product.

I think Topps should just tell people to bust open any sealed 2015 Tribute product and if one is unsatisfied with the auto condition, send it in to Topps and they'll do "best efforts" to remake the card, or send a substitution if Topps is unable to remake the card.

Members online