Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So, who all here picked up a 1992 Ace Novelty Prototype?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I hemmed and hawed for a long time over these, and then started seeing them slowly, but surely, disappear from ebay. Who here picked them up and what'd you end up paying if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I passed on the mattingly but I think it ended up selling for $350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know if regular versions exist and if the prototype had wrinkles?

Jan 14, 2015
New Jersey
I have two different versions of regular prototype mattingly cards (front and back on the same card). Some of the prototypes he was selling had a few creases in them but most of them were pretty clean.

Jan 14, 2015
New Jersey
I don't think a regular card exists. My understanding is that they were going for a mlb license and didn't get it.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Ahhh gotcha. So the sheets were possibly prototype prototypes perhaps? :) Where is that thoughtful velociraptor pic when you need it?

Jan 14, 2015
New Jersey
The sheets were probably a printers proof where they check the back and front of the typos for typos and imperfections. The ones that have full fronts and backs on one card are probably the prototype card that were used to try and get the mlb license

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
The regular cards do exist. I have the Ozzie Smith. I've been looking for the information I have on these so I can make a post but it is stored away and haven't had time to do a proper search so I'll give you the info I can remember.
In 1992 Ace tried for a MLB license. They were asked to bring finished examples of the cards they wanted to market. The license was denied. The story I heard from the man I bought my Ozzie from a number of years ago is that one of the men pushing for the license took the samples home with him to the Portland area. He was the coach of his son's little league team and decided to give the kids on the team the cards despite being instructed to destroy them. In 1998/1999 two of these samples sold on ebay; Ozzie and Cal Ripken. Now, the story I was told is that the intention was to market these not only in the U.S, but overseas as well, and to prove their intent they produced examples that also has Japanese writing on the back.
These are real and they are wonderfully done cards. I've had mine for over 10 years and I trust the source I got this information from implicitly. In fact, he actually printed the original EBay auction out for me and sent it with the card when I bought it. The Ozzie I had originally sold in 1999 for over $250.00. He was a very well known and respected Ozzie collector and a few on this board besides myself have purchased from him back several years.
I petitioned PSA, SGC and BECKETT to get this card slabbed about 7 years ago but they wouldn't do it because they can't be found on a checklist. According to my seller, sometime in 1992 or 1993 one of the baseball card magazines (he couldn't remember which one ) did a write up piece about these cards after a few surfaced in the Pacific northwest. One of the grading companies, I think it was PSA, told me they'd consider slabbing them if there was a published article in a reputable hobby publication. I have never been able to find this article but in fairness I only looked in a few old Beckett issues from that time period. As there were several other magazines back then dedicated to baseball cards there very well be an article in one of them.
Every few years I post a question about these cards on several sites but nobody has ever had any other info.
I reiterate that I got all of this info second hand, but I got it after I had already purchased the card and he would have no reason to lie. Again, a very well respected collector that tried to assist me when I tried to obtain more info on the set. I never spoke with original seller from the 1990's but the story seems viable to me. I'll post the Ozzie later when I get home.

bad first scan, the card is perfectly centered.

ace_zpsmj6jx0vm.jpg

Ace%20back_zpsrn5jtihx.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

mouschi

May 18, 2012
The regular cards do exist. I have the Ozzie Smith. I've been looking for the information I have on these so I can make a post but it is stored away and haven't had time to do a proper search so I'll give you the info I can remember.
In 1992 Ace tried for a MLB license. They were asked to bring finished examples of the cards they wanted to market. The license was denied. The story I heard from the man I bought my Ozzie from a number of years ago is that one of the men pushing for the license took the samples home with him to the Portland area. He was the coach of his son's little league team and decided to give the kids on the team the cards despite being instructed to destroy them. In 1998/1999 two of these samples sold on ebay; Ozzie and Cal Ripken. Now, the story I was told is that the intention was to market these not only in the U.S, but overseas as well, and to prove their intent they produced examples that also has Japanese writing on the back.
These are real and they are wonderfully done cards. I've had mine for over 10 years and I trust the source I got this information from implicitly. In fact, he actually printed the original EBay auction out for me and sent it with the card when I bought it. The Ozzie I had originally sold in 1999 for over $250.00. He was a very well known and respected Ozzie collector and a few on this board besides myself have purchased from him back several years.
I petitioned PSA, SGC and BECKETT to get this card slabbed about 7 years ago but they wouldn't do it because they can't be found on a checklist. According to my seller, sometime in 1992 or 1993 one of the baseball card magazines (he couldn't remember which one ) did a write up piece about these cards after a few surfaced in the Pacific northwest. One of the grading companies, I think it was PSA, told me they'd consider slabbing them if there was a published article in a reputable hobby publication. I have never been able to find this article but in fairness I only looked in a few old Beckett issues from that time period. As there were several other magazines back then dedicated to baseball cards there very well be an article in one of them.
Every few years I post a question about these cards on several sites but nobody has ever had any other info.
I reiterate that I got all of this info second hand, but I got it after I had already purchased the card and he would have no reason to lie. Again, a very well respected collector that tried to assist me when I tried to obtain more info on the set. I never spoke with original seller from the 1990's but the story seems viable to me. I'll post the Ozzie later when I get home.

ace_zpsmj6jx0vm.jpg

I love love this history lesson thanks! Do you have any idea if a "complete" canseco exists? I picked up the proto types (front and back separate pieces) of Jose of both English and Japanese. It also makes me wonder if any other sheets are out there!

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
My best guess is that all players were probably made. Now, do they still all exist? Who knows? I would love someone to find a few more of these.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Here is some more information on them:
--------
[h=3]As I recall we had 3 full pallets of the sheets. So there had to be hundreds of thousands. However, after the MLB turned us down as 1 of the suppliers of the cards, my boss had me shrink wrap all 3 pallets and put them in a far corner of the warehouse. 1 years later I was told to get the pallets out and take them to the landfill and wait and watch them be covered. I only had the one sheet. Not very many at all were ever used or handed out. That was summer of 1992 to summer of 1993.

[/h] --------

It sounds like to me that before everything was destroyed, the guy yoinked a sheet before all the others met their demise.

Last edited:

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Think the shrink wrap would have protected them for over 20 years. Lol

Maybe I can find out the location and we can go excavating! We can all sell the first 5 for big money and the rest for a nickel each :)

Joe stevenson

Nov 30, 2020
I hemmed and hawed for a long time over these, and then started seeing them slowly, but surely, disappear from ebay. Who here picked them up and what'd you end up paying if you don't mind me asking?

Hello I happen to have a few of these sheet yall are talking about here are some photos! If anyone knows anything more about them can you pls tell me more!? Here are a couple of pictures pls get back to me with any info that would help me out pls

Attachments

• IMG_20200223_011156_5.jpg
    IMG_20200223_011156_5.jpg
    720.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20200223_011340_9.jpg
    IMG_20200223_011340_9.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200223_011221_0.jpg
    IMG_20200223_011221_0.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200223_011251_2.jpg
    IMG_20200223_011251_2.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200223_011328_4.jpg
    IMG_20200223_011328_4.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 68

Joe stevenson

Nov 30, 2020

ace_zpsmj6jx0vm.jpg

I have a few of these sheets also in Japanese I happen to be on that little league team so your story is 100 percent accurate to my knowledge

Members online

Latest posts